Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
MICE !!!!!

Darn little bastridges got into the Casa while it's in storage. They ate my brand new leather recliner!! Nested in my kleenex box and ate my ant traps!! We will be looking at plugging up holes and have set out the traps. I want to know if anyone has information on battery operated sonic mouse repellents. All the ones I have seen are plug ins. I need one while in storage with no electric power available. And from now on I will be taking my cats with me when we RV!!!! Thanks for any help you can give.....Joanie

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Really, really ticks one off doesn't it!!! We have used camphor blocks in our 5er for a number of years while our unit was in storage. Be sure to remove all the blocks and air out the monty a bit before using after storage. This procedure has worked very well for us as well as many hours under the rv with a combination of steel wool, expandable foam insulation, and adding plastic with pop rivets to the gaping areas around the front landing gear and rear stabilizer jacks. You will also find a large round opening in the frame around the hydraulic ram for your double slide. This leads any critters right into the underbelly of your unit. For this we keep a wad of steel wool to install after opening AND closing the slide.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:11 AM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
we put cups of mothballs inside cabinets and use lots of Downey scented dryer sheets and stuff them in all furniture,drawers,etc,I guess they don't like the smell of the dryer sheets. we have had good luck with this system. We live in the country and our unit is stored in the back yard with (so far) good results. we have used this stuff for over 10 years.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:28 AM   #4
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We store our unit in a pole building that is in the middle of a field in the country. We use lots of dryer sheets on the inside and lots of d-con on the outside. Never had a problem.(keeping the fingers crossed!) The best way to keep mice out, is to keep the unit on the road!!!!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:35 AM   #5
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
This year we are using the peppermint concentrate on cotton balls technique and it appears to be working very well. I used the dryer sheets and decon poison but would always find droppings under the kitchen cabinets. With the peppermint stuff I have not seen any droppings for two months which makes me think it works.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
do you put the cotton balls into paper cups and set them around the inside? we have not heard of using that,but if it works,thats good.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
I had just read on another forum that people use mint, they say you can get it in liquid form at health food stores, they put it on cotton balls and put it where ever they think the critters are entering the unit. They say it works very well. NEVER put anykind of poison on the inside of the unit, you are opening up another can of worms. They will crawl and die in places in your unit you can never get to. Our friends had them die in there unit and they are full time, they had to live with the dieing rodent smell for 6 months or more.
Bobby A
bobby A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
See this thread: Rodent Control, for a good Mousetrap idea...

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
We've always used Ceder blocks and small bags of Ceder chips. Every drawer, closet, and cabinet gets one. Worked in our previous rig, so when we got Monty, we transfered them to it, and so far not a sign of rodents anywhere. I've even gone so far as to put some in the TV, as the previous truck made a nice nest for them in the glove box. Steel wool in any openings helps as well. We live in the country, so we're always vigilant looking for signs of unwanted guest. The best part is Ceder won't hurt the kids or the pets and it's clean, no spills. Results may vary.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Great ideas all...thanks. My original question about finding a battery operated sonic mouse repellent wasn't answered, so I guess no one has found one. I did a google search and couldn't find one there. Oh well...we will just have to plug those holes with dryer sheets and steel wool. DH likes the idea of the cedar chips and so do I. We currently have traps with peanut butter set. We live in a large gated community and store our Monty in the storage yard on pavement. I talked with other residents and they showed me where someone put poison out in the area between the rigs and the concrete wall around the storage area. Hopefully, this will be the end of Mickey and Minnie, but we won't leave it unattended again. It will be on our weekly to do list to check out the Casa regularly.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Have never seen any of the sonic rodent repellers that were battery operated -- all have required shore power. That said, if you have a way to recharge batteries you might try one (or two) with a small inverter but that will only work until the coach battery(ies) die which leads to other problems (much shortened battery life if they are drained too much).
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:49 AM   #12
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Joanie and Dave:
Try the link to this site http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...num=1&ct=title
(copy and paste in your browser address bar if the link does not work)
We have the same problem and found that dryer sheets and even mothballs did not work for us. will try cedar blocks and will look into battery operated ultrasonic pest control devices. We do park our Monty where we would have access to electricity however but hate to stay plugged in 24/7. One note about placing poison outside of your unit. Unless covered and secured, it will affect other animals including pets. We operate a campground and our campers put various items/produts in and around their trailers to keep mice out over the winter. We had two campground dogs become very ill and almost die when they ingested poison left outside of another person's camper.
PackersBackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:25 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Here is a modified link for your long link -

battery pest repellent

There are some instructions on how on the home page under using forum codes:
http://www.montanaowners.com/ForumCodes.html

On edit - I tried to show the codes - but they are invisible on the forum - hahahaa oops
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #14
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
thanks for all the info. I've been out of commission with hand surgery and just got back on tonight. I haven't looked at the links yet, but thanks to everyone for replying.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #15
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I didn't have any luck with dryer sheets,I think the main key is to find where they are getting in which isn't a easy task.I've changed storage location and so far so good.I can't use the sonic gizmos but that seems to work for a lot of people.Good luck
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:03 AM   #16
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
My Terminix employment gave me a shortcut to use to find out where the critters are getting in - - -
lightly sprinkle baby powder around ANY suspected entry points and the buggers will leave pawprints (you can play CSI ). Then you know where to plug entry holes with steel wool, etc.
The powder smells good and is easy to vacuum away when done.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #17
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Hey Joanie and Dave;

I hope your hand is healing well as noted in your recent response. Hope you didn't hurt it slammin' mice!! Heal well, Dennis and Judy
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks for the tip Larry!

Now it makes sense why my wife always dips 3 fingers in flour and makes bunny tracks from the door to the baskets on Easter. She must have worked at Terminex
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #19
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I am not going to brag because the minute I do, I jinx it. We opened the Monty after not being there since last Oct. this weekend. We had mice problems in the past so we bought those plug (120v) in mice deterants from Lowes for $30?? a piece and put one in the basement and 1 under the sink and they work! No mices all winter!
I won't brag.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #20
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
I'm glad they worked for you but we don't plug in while in storage. We now have mouse traps with peanut butter in them all over the place. I keep expecting to find ants now!!