Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Antenna for sirius radio?

We have a Sirius boombox radio that has an external antenna. The problem is the antenna doesn't work all that well inside.

What I thought I'd do is to install a vehicle antenna on the roof of the Monty and run the lead down alongside the bathroom vent and then to the stereo.

Has any one done this or some other routing and how did it work?

Thanks

Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Capt Kidd, If I'm not mistaken the Sirius Radio Antenna is a special Satellite antenna, so I do not think a vehicle antenna will work for Sirius. I have heard that the antenna works if put up near the ceiling of the unit right side up (not sure which side is the right one).
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
So far, I have just ran mine out through one of our rear side windows, and placed the antenna on top of the adjacent slide out. I would like to remove the almost useless "data port" and make an "antenna port" through which I can pass the lead for the sirius, as well as cell phone, wi-fi, air card, etc. as the need requires.

I have never been able to get the Sirius to work consistently with the antenna inside. It will work for a while, but then it will start dropping the signal. There are some optional antennas available from Sirius, you could check their web site, or give them a call and see what they suggest.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I run my wire down inside the air vent in my kitchen. Cut a hole in the pipe and fished the wire out and repaired the hole. I have enough wire to run it outside if I need to. I glued a small piece of steel on top of the air vent, because the antenna has a magnet mount.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:23 AM   #5
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
Call "MyRadioStore" at 1 866 796-6206 and maybe they can suggest an outdoor antenna that you could mount outside you entertainment center--similiar to the external fm antennas--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
I've used an Audiovox Sirius boom box for about 4-5 years. All I have ever done is place the antenna in which ever window is roughly pointed South and so far I have yet to not get decent reception.

Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:50 AM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Can you purchase an extra antenna for the boombox sirius radio? I wouldn't mind permanently mounting one inside for outside, but would also want one to keep with the boombox so it remains portable.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

I would like to remove the almost useless "data port" and make an "antenna port" through which I can pass the lead for the sirius, as well as cell phone, wi-fi, air card, etc. as the need requires.
John, I did exactly that for our aircard external antenna. It was really very simple. If you remove the existing wallplate, there's a hole that goes through the wall that's maybe an inch in diameter. The interior wallplates is of standard dimensions and easily replaced.

I bought two wallplates with a single round hole in the center from Ace Hardware. Neither Lowe's nor Home Depot had the plates with a round hole. I then bought plastic plugs to put in the holes when the antenna is not in use. I also bought a rubber grommet that can be worked over the end of the antenna connector on the end of the antenna cable. That grommet fits the hole in the wallplate to make for a more airtight fit of the cable.

The fit is still just enough loose that I wasn't satisfied so I wrapped a small strip of duct tape around the cable at the point it enters the wall plate and grommet. That gives me a tight fit. It also "marks" the correct point so there is the right amount of cable inside the rig to reach the booster.

I then route the cable so it dips just below the outside wallplate so water will drop off at that point instead of running into the rig. Just to make sure, I twisted a twist tie at that low point with the ends hanging down.

I hope that makes some sense. All of this cost me around five bucks.

on edit, I should have mentioned the outside dataport plate was a round one. I removed that, cleaned up all the caulk, filled the screw holes, then mounted the new wallplate. I had to drill two small holes for the screws. I also caulked the edges of the new plate both to keep water out and to assist the screws in keeping it snug to the wall.

Also, the "hole" between exterior and interior wallplate is a hole through foam insulation. Thus it is easy to route a cable between those small holes in the wallplate without need to add additional hardware to assist getting the cable from outside to inside.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Robbie, yes you can get additional antennas from Sirius.

Steve, when you say data port do you mean the cable TV port? or is there some other port?
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:Capt Kidd Posted - Oct 27 2008 : 7:57:36 PM

Steve, when you say data port do you mean the cable TV port? or is there some other port?
The data port is the telphone/ethernet cable connection that comes in around your desk if you have one or in our case in the rear kitchen(we don't have a desk) It can be used for telephone or the internet cable connection if your CG has those options.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:00 AM   #11
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We have XM Satelite Boom Box and we use the antenna that came with the radio. We place our boombox on the floor between the two recliners (use the remote for powere on/off and channel changes) and the antenna is sitting on top of the window valance at the back end of the sofa. Has worked fine for us. It did take awhile of trial and error to find the correct place to set the antennae.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:37 AM   #12
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Do a search on e-bay for sirius radio, a lot of time you can save quite a bit of money with all the sellers and e-stores out there.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #13
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
We have XM radio and just pointed our ant. out a south facing window and it worked fine. Then I found a magnetic car ant. at wallmt, I glued a piece of metal to my roof near the convienient window and ran the wire down the side and thru the window. the difference in the 2 ants. is the car ant. is multi-directional and doesnt have to be pointed southward. It works everywhere...........Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Capt Kidd

We had a telephone jack connection outside and inside the rig, over the desk. That's what I replaced. Click the envelope to email me if that's not clear or if questions.

Our Sirius radio is working well in this park. We have no trees to the north. In a prior park we were under a tree canopy and it was very difficult to get and hold a signal. Besides the trees, I think the steel (aluminum in older montanas) trusses get in the way, too.

The manual for ours says to point the antenna towards the sky over Minnesota (it gives a bit more specific a location). If that doesn't work, then move it around trying to locate a repeater. It would be nice if there were a website where I could put in our zip code and get a map showing the various directions to try.

Our antenna is sitting on top of a slide, on the simulated wood. The cord could be quite a bit longer but it's working now as it is.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:45 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I see there are several Sirius antennas solutions available here under "home signal distribution accessories".

This would work well for my boombox, but don't have any good ideas about how to route it outside and then attach.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:38 AM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I did a generic search on the words:

sirius outdoor antenna

and came up with a lot of results. I know you are looking for someone that has experience with the system you are trying to connect, but I would think that the sirius "home" kit would be sufficient.

The Sirius frequency band is 2,320.00 through 2,332.50 MHz, with XM starting and finishing a little higher. It is considered the "S" band. Sirius does not presently use a geostationary satellite, but three in an elliptical orbit. I would think that trying to position an antenna for an elliptical orbit would be somewhat of a challenge. Finding the middle of the orbit would help considerably.

There also is a "Sirus Home Repeater," that could be used. You could position your antenna for the best reception and using the repeater, place the boom box anywhere.

Since the radios are frequency sensitive to antennas, I would think that any antenna designed for the frequency range of Sirius would be sufficient, keeping in mind that the connector has to match the receiver/boom box.

For my Saturn and MH I bought the Sirius Vehicle kit and installed the antenna on the center of the dash close to the windshield. Only time I loose reception, so far, is when I'm stuck in an under pass, or if it is a long one.

There is so much on this topic on the Internet.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 AM   #17
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
We use our Dish 500 antenna to get the radio, same transponder transmits audio and video.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:40 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Robbie, does your rig have a phone jack to the outside? If so, email me and I'll tell/show you how I set ours up for our outside aircard antenna. The same method would work for your purpose.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:47 AM   #19
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Steve,

You must think I still setup the chair?

I use the phone jack connection, I replaced it a long time ago when we had the old Hughes satellite dish. In fact, I think it was you that showed me how to do it. We now have our aircard antenna running through there. Do you have a Sirius antenna going through there too? I am curious, a pic would be nice to see if you did it differently.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:54 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Nope, just the aircard antenna going through that location and then only when we need an external antenna. The only sirius antenna we have is the indoor one with the cord that's about six feet long.