Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Shore Power Cord Question & AC complaint

DH is trying to find a better solution for storing the shore power cord than coiling it up in a laundry basket. Any suggestions? I know there isn't a solution to my AC complaint...but I hate how noisey the AC is when we are trying to watch TV. We have the 2955RL and only one AC unit and it is above the sitting area. We live and camp in Florida so the AC is running most of the year. It's a pain having to constantly turn up the volume when the AC kicks in. I guess if thats my only problem than my life is pretty good, huh? Joanie

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I don't know if it's any better,but I use a 5 Gal. bucket from Home Depot. Around the lip of the bucket I notch a hole opposite of each other,coil the cord in the bucket and string the ends through the notch's,one to the Monty and the other to the shore power and than place the lid on top. This keeps the cord clean and dry and when ready, unhook each end and place in the bucket than place the lid on. This works for me!
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Brilliant!!! We always have to work as a team when coiling it up...Dave coiling and me wiping off the dirt with a rag. I like the suggestion. I see that you were up late answering. I didn't think I would get an answer so soon. I work the midnight shift at the Post Office so I am on late at night. Thanks......Joanie
Old 09-28-2008, 01:44 AM   #4
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
They have those earphones now that tune to the frequency of the tv or radio channel that you are watching..I considered getting one for the DW as she likes to stay up later than I and watch tv..(she really enjoys the movies where men are getting murdered, maimed..tortured and all around hurt..she likes to hear the screams I guess) so the volume gets loud and changes constantly...... of course I cant go to sleep or stay asleep.........and there are times that I am afraid to go to sleep. I am not sure if they block out other sounds or not..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Joanie, add a second A/C unit, we run the bedroom unit, place a fan at the top of the stairs, and stay cool that way, I can't stand the noise either. When you full-time, there are places you will need that second unit, Florida, where you are now, would be one of those places, I would think.
The 'Anaconda' cord is a pain, but it has to be big to handle the electrical needs of your Monte if you use the A/C and all your electrical loads.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:29 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I fight the Anaconda fight and roll it up and place it into a square plastic milk crate, at least it fits underneath easier...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:20 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If you really want to, you can replace the OEM power cord with a much lighter and easier to handle one made by Marinco, They are expensive, but may be worth the cost if you do a lot of hooking up and unhooking with the 50 amp cord. We find that about the only time we use the 50 amp cord is when we hook up for a long term stay as snowbirds in the south. The rest of the time we usually only have 30 amps available, and for that I use a 30 amp Marinco cord. It is a breeze to handle, even in cold weather. We don't even carry the 50 amp cord with us for the summer, and save some weight by leaving it at home. (The Marinco cords are usually yellow).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:26 AM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
On A.C. noise. You probably have the "Comfort Control Center" wall mounted thermostat. You can change the fan speed (and resulting noise), by using that control to High, Medium, or Low. Perhaps you have already tried that, but I thought I would mention it in case it was something you had overlooked.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:57 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And, just in case, do you have the "quick cool" vent closed? It makes a big difference.

Now here is a way you can get away from helping DH.

Go to Wally-world and buy a package of tube socks. Put them in the compartment with the electrical cable. Tell DH to put one on each hand when pulling in the electrical cord using the tube socks as a rag, wiping when pulling by sliding the hand on the cord.

Wash tube socks and DH as necessary and reuse.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:49 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I don't find my 50-amp cord to be any problem. When I go to put it away, I merely start by coiling it up in the ground, the coil is about 18" in diameter. When finished coiling I tie it in three or four spots with the little bungee cords with the little ball on one end. Then I pick up the coil and put it in the front compartment with the batteries. You'd be surprised how easy it is to set it in there on its edge. I have the 50-amp cord, a 50-amp extension, a 30-amp cord with two 30-amp extensions as well as a 30# propane tank.

I originally tried the idea of putting it in the clothes basket (where it was when we bought the rig new in 2000. That didn't last long; it took up too much valuable space.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:45 AM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It is one thing to coil the cable in warm weather, but quite another at near freezing temperatures!

One idea that have had, but have not done yet, is to install a 3" PVC tube under the trailer running the length of the trailer. I would then use this to store the cable, rather than trying to coil it. As I said, this just an idea, I have not done it, and there are some details to work out, but I think it might be doable and helpful. (similar to storing to sewer hoses under the trailer).
Old 09-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
OR,
You Could Get One Of These Gadgets!
Old 09-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #13
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Great suggestions and fun to read. You guys are too funny!! I will pass the suggestions on to Dave. We will have to try the fan settings on the AC, etc. Never thought of that. I think a 2nd AC is really not necessary in the 2955, even on the hottest Florida day. If we could do it for cheap I might consider it but the one we have handles things nicely. Of course, it runs almost constantly on a hot day as does our AC in the stick house. We moved here from Connecticut in 1995 to get away from the cold. Don't think I need the suggestions about zero weather and the "anaconda" cord. Once we full time we will be chasing the eternal summer anyway. Thanks to all for the comments and smiles it gave me....Joanie
Old 09-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Wayne,

That link did not work for me.

It might be this one: http://tinyurl.com/3sy9t3
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:38 AM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Robbie,
Go to that same link, and in the search block, put in "TDI Products" without the quotes.
See if that works.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:48 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Wayne,

That worked. Now, how do I get the DW to authorize a motorized 50 amp cord reel? Only $606 + shipping....think she'll tell me to use the sock method...
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Robbie,
Me thinks you should make sure all your socks are washed. You can buy a lot of them at Goodwill for $600+!!!!

Edited: Okay! I'll share a little tip. Some of the windup reels for electric cords sold in Lowes, Home Depot, and other hardware stores may be able to accomodate a power cord. Of course, they all will be of the arm power variety, but a lot cheaper!! You can also use those same electric reels for water hoses. Actually, now they make a flat water hose on a reel. I have one.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #18
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I had a (SOB) before the one we have now. It had the electric rewind and I really miss it. Just push a button and in comes the 50 amp cord. I would for sure pay the dollars to get one. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #19
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
I just make long loops of the cord in the bed of the truck between the hitch and the tailgate. I put my tote buddy on top of it. I don't see a need to fight that thing coiling it up and getting it into the basement. I am going to use it again in just a few hours anyway. Have been doing this for the past three years. It also gives me a bit more space in the basement.

Dee
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #20
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Interesting ideas. I just coil it on the ground and stow it in the OD side of the bay along with my 30A extensions and water hoses. Sure beats killing my back getting it in and out of the front compartment!
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote