Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
This thing they call an air mattress

After 2.5 years I finally decided it was time to check out the air mattress in the chesterfield. Thought we could use it when we drive up to visit our son who has limited sleeping space.

Well I read the instructions, inflated and deflated several times then inflated and watched as the air slowly leaked out of the "thing". By this morning the "thing" was flat and had we been sleeping on it we might never have gotten up off the floor.

Went over the whole thing several times and found air leaking from the one "aux" fill location, solved that and it was still deflating. An hour ago I went over the whole surface again and finally found a cut about a 1/4" long, have now patched the hole and after I wait the minimum 4 hours will have another go at the POS.

Anyone buying a new Montana with this option, I would suggest you remove it from within the chesterfield and store it somewhere else as that appears to be how the cut happened.

We may yet have something to sleep on next weekend....

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Mine (an older model) worked well for the grandkids for 3 yrs. then leaked. Found a small 1/4" slit on a fold where it would fold/unfold each time we used it. Couldn't find a patch that would hold. So tried a hot glue gun. Held fine for the season. Next season had to touch up the hot glue patch but held for another season. Have not used in 2 yrs now so probably needs another touch up.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We like others finally replaced with a better quality air mattress stored separately. Our new Montana came with a sleeper sofa that has a traditional fold out mattress. Don't know if all the Montana models are the same or if the air mattress still comes with certain floor plans or furniture options.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:27 AM   #4
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Ordered an Instabed online. It auto inflates and deflates. It very quietly will add air as you sleep if necessary.
Was about $100. Has been great for 3 years now.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
I talked to a regional Montana salesperson at Keystone recently and he said they are working on replacing all air beds with mattresses in the new models. He also said there is a problem with doing this in the Front Lounge models due to slide clearance.

Someone here on the MOC recommended replacing the air bed with this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Modern-Sle...Queen/21287287

Since we travel with our teenagers and those couches are their beds, I'm going to try one of these and see if it's a good replacement.
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Will the memory foam mattress fold up in the couch? If not those buggers are heavy and where do you store it? I like others prefer the mattress that folds in the couch not the air mattress. The air mattress get cold during the night and a PIA to inflate deflate take off fold up and store. I would go with the Walmart mattress if my couch would still fold back up with it in it.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote