Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Replacing Lug Nuts

I want to replace the lug nuts on my 06' 3500rl. I found chrome ones that fit fine (they don't bottom out) but they are shorter. Does any one know if it makes a difference.

jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Something like lugnuts is tied to safety and not something I know enough about that I could be comfortable saying go ahead. However, besides length are there any other differences? Do they have the same bevel angle as the originals? Do you have the aluminum rims and, if so, will these clear the rim holes (ours are pretty deep) enough you can seat a wrench to properly torque/install/remove the nuts? Since you said they fit fine I assume the thread matches. And by not bottoming out I assume you mean they'll fully seat and tighten without the lug hitting the end of the nut.

If all of that is true then I'd be tempted to try them but I might try two per wheel for awhile and check to make sure the torque holds after going through the retorquing period.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You need to check your wheel rims to see if the deep socket will recess down into the hole opening on [ALL lugs. I know I have some that the socket can not sink down in. Therefore, I need the longer nuts. A short one would not work because the socket would not seat on it.

I hope this helps.
This is my opinion.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote