Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Did Ya Ever??

come over a bridge joint so hard that half the clothes with the hangers in the closet jumped off the closet rod? I swear the Monty was going lift the TV off the ground. We pulled off to check the inside of the Monty to find nothing had moved. Of course the bedroom slide was in so we couldn't look in the closet and really why would you. Over the years we hit many such joints and nothing ever happened in the closet. When we got to the RV park we couldn't open either door more than 2 to 3 inches. We finally pull the dislodged clothes and hanger out and were able to get the doors open.
Sure am glad that Keystone, the Morryde wet bolts and Lippert reinforcing the frame and hangers was done before I ever left Goshen. Checked the under carraige and everything was fine.

A similiar situation did happened about 2 years ago when the cheap rod that came with the rig bent and pulled from the wall. I than replaced the bent rod with a heavy steel rod. The steel rod was not damaged this time.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes Glenn.... snapped the rod in two and ripped it out of the wall.. Alabama....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Never hit a bump that bad…….yet!
I’m sure that would up-set things though. But on another thought when I had SOB’s I would at times loose the clothes from the rail.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:37 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Not a bridge, but frost heaves in B.C. and Yukon have the same effect!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Reminds me of going into New Orleans on the East I-10 approach. It's like a roller coaster.

Glad you only got your clothes thrown around.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:41 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Where were you at, Glenn, where this happened?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

I'm betting in the truck.....

(I'm a stinker! )
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
You are dead on Tom, I was in the truck.

All I remember was we were south bound in the middle lane on I75 south of Cincinnati. Exact mile marker is not known as I was thinking of the trailer and cargo being damaged.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Its a bad feeling when it happens, you don't have time to slow or react in any way. I purchased my 3400 from a dealer in Indiana, and picked it up ,driving from Utah. I hit some frost heaves at about 65 MPH in Wyoming about four in a row, I was surprised to see the fifth wheel still attached it was that bad. I felt lucky there was no damage to suspension, tires etc. The fifth wheel was empty inside so that was not a worry. I can only imagine what the inside contents would have gone thru had there been any.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

I'm betting in the truck.....

(I'm a stinker! )
And I'm betting that you are a fisherman/hunter, Tom... Same answer you would give if asked where you caught that huge fish... Ans: "In the mouth..."
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Can't say that's ever happened to us in the Montana (not yet, anyhow) but it used to happen in our first fifthwheel, a Wilderness with closet across the rear wall. In that case the solution, suggested by a neighbor, was to put the hangars backwards on the rod, so that the open end of the hangar hook faced forward. Never another hook jumping off the rod. However, I'd not do this in a front closet like our Montana. That must have been some kind of pothole!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Glenn we came that same way and somewhere just inside ky I think is where its at. I thought I hade taken out the pin box. we were crossing a bridge both sides were BAD. glad all is ok.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Yes Glenn, we did it twice, once on I-80 in the way to Goshen Last year. That time is collapsed the magazine rack in the back of the rig. The second time was a RR xing in Plover Wisconsin, I saw the car in front of me bounce but didn't have time to get on the brakes. This one did a bit more damage, again it collapsed the magazine rack (last fix for this item), it also blew the whole bottom out of the drawer under the couch, and broke one bolt and bent 3 on my ladder where the bike rack was( no longer carry bikes there). All tolled it cost me about 10 bucks and 5 hours of work to repair all the internal damage. Luckily there wasn't any out side damage... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote