Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2008, 02:51 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Praise for EMS/Autoformer and the MOC AGAIN!!!!

As many know, last winter and this spring I completed the installation of an Autoformer and EMS (surge protection and auto-shutoff) in the battery bay front compartment. I still keep the el-cheapo voltage monitor gauge plugged in at all times in the rig just for visual confirmation that I spent the approximately $1000 for the install wisely. We are at a large campground at Myrtle (Pirateland) and I am always cognizant of the power needs for the facility. Last night, I glanced at the voltage meter and it was slightly in the red at about 112 volts. Simple reasoning told me that without the autoformers 10% boost that I would have been in the 100-101 volt range which would have been hazardous to the a/c, microwave and other electricals. The EMS has shut down the system once in the week we have been here so far. I must say that I am elated with the system so far as I am confident that it is providing the electrical protection that many of us MOCers espouse constantly on this forum. If you have ever experienced similar situations you should definitely look at making a similar investment for the protection of your rig. I researched for months and along with the input of several of the invaluable members of this forum feel that I have accomplished what I set out to do. Thanks MOC!!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:04 AM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Wow, would never have thought that place would suffer voltage sags. Park is packed with RVs all running A/C's? Hope your weather holds my last week trip to Wells, Me...drip, drip, drip.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:21 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Hey Bingo, glad to hear that it has been such a benefit for you. That is a nice set up you have. Have a nice time at Myrtle!
Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Chuck,
I believe the A/C draw is the single biggest factor. Seems the peak draw is usually just as the evening hours start. Heat advisories have been posted the last couple of days, temps in the mid-nineties and heat index plus one-hundred.
Bill,
I have one more trip back to the mountains and a weeks work before I get to enjoy a full week, but the last couple weekends have been much needed breaks. Close on the new place Tuesday and then we have the task of moving when we get back from the beach.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Glad that AutoFormer is doing it's job. There were numerous times I had to defend my decision to buy my first AutoFormer. More than once I have had RVers telling me it is a waste of money so long as you stay in the better RV parks as these "better" parks have no low voltage problems. Well your experience at Pirateland dispels that theory.
I have found many many times it is not the CG's problem at all but rather the voltage they are receiving from the power company. Case in point is Pine Hill near Allentown PA. This park had a totally new electrical service installed only to discover that MetEd, the power company, wasn't able to furnish sufficient power through their old out dated lines. It was my stay at Pine Hill with temps in the hi 80's and a nearly full park and only 106 volts when I bought my first AutoFormer nearly 5 years ago.
To some folks I say it's like that old saying "You can pay now or you can pay later". Problem is later can be a whole lot more expensive.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
I am at the Trailer Life highest rated park in Adirondack's, North Pole. It is very nice park. I had to move off a 30 amp site to a 50 amp due to low voltage. I have a voltage meter stuck in a wall outlet and it alarmed a couple times while i was home. Wonder what happened while I was away.

The short version is my voltage is fine now, but the voltage various termendously all day long at all the sites around me.

No autoformer yet, but I now understand how useful it could be.

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:54 AM   #7
timothy
Established Member

M.O.C. #6723
Bingo, I need to talk to you about this. We have been having problems at the camp with electric as you well no. I will pm you next week and see if I can set up a time to call you. Thanks in advance. Tim
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote