Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Extend-A-Stay Propane Hose Fire

We have the CW Extend-A-Stay propane hose to hook to our BBQ. Have had it for a couple of years. Really like it, as I don't have to buy the 1 lb. cannisters.

Well, I lit the BBQ tonight as I do most nights. Walked down a few spaces on my way to help my wife with the laundry. All of a sudden, I heard a loud "pop" and "swoosh" sound coming from our space. I turned back to look and didn't see anything. Anyway, I returned to our space to look around.

What did I find? The propane hose had burned at the end where it connects to the BBQ. It evidently had a small, pin hole leak and it caught fire which in turn caused the hose to seperate from the fitting as the hose got hotter and hotter. The "swoosh" sound was the rest of the propane in the tank (about a half gallon) leaking into the air.

I asked an individual who has alot of experience with RVing, and he explained that these hoses from CW have just about the poorest fittings (compression type). He has seen it happen a few times before. He suggested, and I will do so, that I goto the propane supplier and have them make me a better hose.

We really averted a potentially catastrophic explosion!

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Hmmmmmm, sounds like I will stick with the 1`pound cylinders, I definitely do not need an experience like that, appreciate the heads up!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Michael,

Between fireplaces and propane appliances, I designate you official fire tester! Glad everyone was alright, especially after these recent threads on LP explosions. Gives me the willies.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:21 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Michael,
Thanks for sharing. A situation like that could have been catastrophic. Every day of our lives we have to be ever careful and on the lookout for situations that could cause harm.

I'm glad your Angel was watching over all of you.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Michael, I had a chipmunk eat a hole through one that I had, seems they like the tast of the rubber coating. I was told to rub vasoline on the hose and that would prevent it in the future on new hoses. We stepped out side the door in the morning, and I heard a small hiss and checked the hose to find the cold spot where it was leaking. Shut off the LP and removed the hose. No fix, just replaced it with one from my local LP shop.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I thought those tanks had an internal emergency shutoff if they sensed a sudden increase in flow out of the tank? Michael, I assume you lost a 1/2 gal out of your 30# Montana cylinder? Or are you talking about a different setup than what I am envisioning?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Wow, scary...I use one as well. Had a squirrel chew one on me in the middle of the night but my whoosh is just long enough to empty the hose as I never leave it connected when not grilling. Guess I will be more diligent in always being present when operating the grill...as I just don't need to carry all those little green canisters for one time use.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Yes, I sure did have an angel looking out for me; and yes, Dave, I lost propane out of the onboard, curbside tank; and I am going to try the vaseline trick.

One good thing that came out of it is that I was able to get a 15 foot hose made. Evidently, the 12 foot restriction is for safety, not because of fuel delivery problems to the appliance: people who had long hoses would put them under their rig, run over them and you know the rest...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote