Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2008, 06:11 AM   #1
Tinka N Rick
Established Member

M.O.C. #6591
Pin Box

We just installed one of those really big levels near the top of our pin box. We noticed that, when driving, that there is some apparent vertical movement between the fiberglass and the level. Is this normal?
Hitch appears to be tight. There may be no more than 1/4 inch of movement and may be attribulted to flexing or some built in dampening.
Has anyone noticed this movement?

Tinka N Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Well, some of us have had failures...my case was the side plates that hold the front cabin.

Requires pulling the over-hang bottom pan to inspect.

Performed a DYI as I'm second owner...

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I've had a similar setup with a level on top of the hitch pin tucked close to the nose cap on 2 different fivers ... mine also moved about 1/4" also depending on road conditions. Other than initially catching my attention, I had no troubles. I'm trying to remember back in my physics days about load arms and effort arms related to deflection, but I think I've slept since then more than a time or two ... Ha! On a more serious note ... others have had frame problems of a much greater magnitude as in actually seeing bedroom cabinetry move when hitching and unhitching.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote