Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #1
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
"Bypass Hot Water Tank" Switch

As I boondock this weekend I'm trying to figure out why I would ever need to flick this switch to the "ON" position ever. Why would I need to bypass the hot water tank? Is it a winterization thing?

jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
baybum10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15866
You are correct, it is a winterization thing. If you do not winterize you will not need to use the switch. The switch allows you to bypass the water heater and save gallons of antifreeze.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
FYI - When winterizing the rig one should DRAIN the hot water tank, so no water is in it. I have not had to winterize my rig, but the hardest thing about using the bypass and emptying the tank is removing the last of the water in the tank. The srain opening is a fraction higher than the bottom so there always seems to have some amount of water at the bottom of the water tank.

For those of you who winterize, how do you get that last bit of water out of the tank? I wouldn't want to leave any water in there to prevent it from freezing, but maybe it won't hurt if it did freeze since the empty tank may not have a problem with it. I wouldn't want to put any antifreeze (pink stuff) in there. I would think it could take a long time to get the tank clean of the stuff when it's time to start camping in the rig once again.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #4
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
Won't be a problem, it will have room to expand if it freezes.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:08 PM   #5
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
RV anti-freeze has the nastiest odor if you don't get it all out of the water heater and heat it up. I never put it in the water heater anymore.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:20 PM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Absolutely no need to drain that last bit of water!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Good to know about the remaining water not affecting things too much. I have no experience with winterizing or having to have a completely empty tank, but hoped any remaining water would freeze/expand but not impact anything so this is making sense.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:51 AM   #8
kenneth e holman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18819
As long as there's expansion room on either the water tank or water lines then you should have no problem with anything bursting. I would doubt a water heater would burst anyhow as it is insulated. I never understood why it is recommended to add a little anti-freeze to your drains as there is always room to expand in your drains.
kenneth e holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
The primary reason you add RV antifreeze to the trap is that it does not evaporate nearly as quickly as water left in the traps.This is a good idea to add to your brick and mortar home if you leave it empty for a long period of time even if no freezing conditions, mineral oil will work also.
You do not what to deal with the odor if the water in the trap evaporates
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #10
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

FYI - When winterizing the rig one should DRAIN the hot water tank, so no water is in it. I have not had to winterize my rig, but the hardest thing about using the bypass and emptying the tank is removing the last of the water in the tank. The srain opening is a fraction higher than the bottom so there always seems to have some amount of water at the bottom of the water tank.

For those of you who winterize, how do you get that last bit of water out of the tank? I wouldn't want to leave any water in there to prevent it from freezing, but maybe it won't hurt if it did freeze since the empty tank may not have a problem with it. I wouldn't want to put any antifreeze (pink stuff) in there. I would think it could take a long time to get the tank clean of the stuff when it's time to start camping in the rig once again.
You are right.
Using the bypass keeps the pink antifreeze out of the water heater. The little water that remains behind after draining the tank would have no adverse effect even if it froze since it would have a lot of room to expand.
I don't use pink antifreeze at all except for my P traps and the washer drain. I blow out all lines with compressed air to include the black tank flush line.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:48 AM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bethandkevin

RV anti-freeze has the nastiest odor if you don't get it all out of the water heater and heat it up. I never put it in the water heater anymore.
Agreed!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote