Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
I dropped her and was lucky!

The inevitable happened a few days ago….

I was hooking up to the HC at the storage lot where I had forgotten to put in the wheel chocks when I previously left the trailer there and………… it slipped off the blocks and down she went onto the box rails of the Silverado….

The planets were lined up in my favor that day because it didn’t make a mark on the truck…

1) The ground/gravel was soft enough that it absorbed the shock to the front jacks so no damage there…

2) The jacks were extended enough that they took the brunt of the weight and stopped it before the truck took on too much of the weight.

3) I have a Line-X bed liner along WITH the box rails so there wasn’t a mark on the box rails or a dimple. Good testimony for Line-X!

The only damage was a seam on the left front corner behind the front cap popped the seal… Total cost of the repair was $5.99 for a tube of silicone….

Seeing as I was this lucky that day I thought I might get lucky twice so I went a bought a lottery ticket…. No such luck there but that’s ok…. I already got a huge break that day…

I also came to realize just how easy it is to drop your 5er... I drove trucks for a while in my younger days and never came close to dropping the trailer.... A bedsaver just moved up a few notches on the list!

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Glad everything worked out ok for you. I had a day like that once and was also very lucky. That was all it took for me to get a bed saver. I really enjoy the security even while driving knowing it’s always there to catch the Monty when needed. I don’t know how effective it would be while driving but I like the feeling of having it there anyway. I will say that it requires making certain the king pin always clears the bed saver each time while hooking up or un-hooking the truck but it’s worth the added effort IMO.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #3
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Reading all the stories about dropping the rig on the truck bed rails was enough for us to add a bedsaver several years ago. Too bad not all RV repair places know about bedsavers, because last year an RV dealer backed our rig around with our truck and tried to unhitch without unplugging the electrical connections and without remembering we told the driver that we did have a bedsaver. When we picked up our rig, we discovered nice drag marks/gouges in the bedsaver (but not a mark on the truck bed) and cut wiring dangling from the hitch. We never did get a straight story about what happened during the unhitching process, but the dealership was kind enough to tape up the cut wiring. (Hope you can read the sarcasm that's dripping from the taping remark.)

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had a Rv'ing friend with a bed saver that must have high hitched and the 5th wheel came out and fell to the bedsaver when he left . He was unaware that it happened as he thought the clunk was normal. The next time he stopped he heard another clunk and by the third or 4th time he heard the clunk he stopped an took a look. the clunk was the pin moving forward and hitting the hitch everytime he stopped the moving back into the bedsaver when he took off.
It had to be a loud clunk???

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:05 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I also only forgot to chock the wheels once! Since the landing gear was down to start the unhitch process and I had just unlatched to free the pin, the trailer slid backwards off the hitch as we looked in horror and expected the trailer to slam down onto the bed rails. Then the trailer hit the ground landing legs first only about an inch later and stopped. No harm no foul and not feeling lucky enough to buy a lottery ticket, but I have never forgotten the chocks again. DW never forgets to ask at what point am I gonna place them or remove them, either. She doesn't help with much other exterior setup, but she does talk about those.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
You were lucky and no damage too. Mine slid off also because I had the wheel chocks off too soon, I bent my front landing gear and had to replace the left leg an expensive lesson, now the chocks go on first and off last.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm still hoping to get a bed saver. Since I tricked out my hitch, 20K head on a 15K slider, the bed saver Blue Ox brought to the rally wasn't the right one. I too have dropped a 5er on my bed rails when I trusted the owner of a trailer I was doing a favor for when he said he had the chocks in. Luckily it was a Jayco and the damage was to the trailer and not my truck.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Ah, reminder of the benefits of a Gooseneck Adaptor and Ball.
No need for chocks, just raise and lower off and on the Ball.
It does take longer since the jacks are so slow...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #9
rich6506547
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8222

well i was not as lucky with my misshap it did 4000 dollars to the bed of the truck, thank god for insurance. I now have a bed saver and peace of mind. Not good to get in a hurry when hooking up,but did not do any damage to the monty
rich6506547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
AaronAnita
Established Member

M.O.C. #10922
Send a message via MSN to AaronAnita
Oh, jeeze. Now I have to google "bed saver" and figure out what it is. I sure have learned a lot on this web site!
AaronAnita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Basically it's a device that bolts to your hitch and catches the king pin should it come off of your hitch. Here's the link to the site: http://www.blueox.us/Bedsaver/bedsaver.htm
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:47 AM   #12
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I posted something here last year about folks that use large blocks under their landing gear. I stated that it is an accident waiting to happen and there were several post explaining the "benefits" of the blocks. At this years rally, I again saw several with blocks under landing gears. You were lucky! I have had my coach pushed off blocks when hooking up 20 years ago and learned my lesson. I try to explain what is awaiting those who choose to continue using these huge blocks under their landing gear, but most think I have screw loose or something and that it won't happen to them, that is until it does. Landing gears have adjustment for a reason I suggest again that folks quit using these large blocks under the landing gear and save themselves the damage and expense that is waiting for them the one time something goes wrong.
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Glad the Silverado wasn't damaged. And no I don't think blocks are good under the landing gear, if you use them under the rear jacks it want be a issue. But when you up grade go with the Hydraulic Level up system. Seen a 2012 Montana FL area 3750 I believe, and now it comes with the 6 Hydraulic Jacks instead of the early version of only 4 jacks...

As for a bed saver its worth the money for those times you have the weak moment and forget to check. I had a bed saver but sold it and haven't used a Bed Saver on any other of the 5 5th wheels we have owned. But I use the Trailer Saver air ride 5th wheel hitch and it doen't have the issue its a very secure hitch.

Will be picking up our new 2012 Chevy 3500HD next week and we will have a Hauler Bed installed so I don't worry about bed rail damage any longer. GM just keep making the beds taller for some reason.. Even though I have 6 inches of clearance, just don't like the pick-up beds. Good Luck. Happy Trails...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:23 AM   #14
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
The ONLY time my Monty was dropped was at a DEALER--a service tech who did not know which end is UP. Left there without getting anything done but alot of jaw work by the service manager. Later got about $1500 out of them to fix the damages. Lesson learned--if you can make it home for repairs at your dealer who knows you--don't stop until you get home. Also my bed liner stopped damages to the truck--Monty was not so lucky.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

Glad the Silverado wasn't damaged. And no I don't think blocks are good under the landing gear,
In my situation the ground was too soft to not have blocks under the feet so they wouldn't sink. I only used a couple of 2 X 6's so the gear was only 3 inches above ground. That 3 inches combined with how far the gear sank into the soft ground was enough to not damage the legs or the box rails when touchdown occured...

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wiesehan,
Blocks of some sort are required in some parks. Usually these are parks with asphalt pads. If you don't use a block of some sort the feet will sink into the asphalt. Also there have been a couple of places we parked where we needed blocks just to be able to hook and unhook the rig. The only time we don't use blocks is at home and even there we use a small block because one of the legs rests on grass. If we didn't use a block it would sink into the grass and dirt.

We've never seen or heard of anyone having a problem using blocks. I understand and appreciate your concern but we've never heard of or know anyone personally who has had a problem using blocks. Like anything if not used correctly one could have problems. Good luck and thanks for your warning. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:04 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Using to many blocks and not of the right size can be a issue.I don't think using two feet of blocks is a good idea or using concrete blocks. Many C.G's do require that you use something under the legs and using the legs only in soft ground is perhaps more risk that using blocks. We do use a single 4x8 Block in most cases.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:42 AM   #18
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Been there done that. We had a bedsaver and the rig fell into the bedsaver and no damage. Cheap insurance. Glad to you did not have anty damage.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote