Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2018, 11:10 PM   #21
MJohnston
Established Member

M.O.C. #23142
Same hydraulic problem I'm cold weather

This thread has been great! A few months ago I bought a new Montana 3120RL. I live in Colorado and just returned from a 4 week trip to Arizona. We experienced the same issue both on the way down and back. I'll look for the 80 amp breaker. Any recommendations where to purchase it?
Thx!
Michael

MJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:17 AM   #22
ReneT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17288
Have you ever replaced the battery? You have a 2013 RV so the battery could be going on 6 years old. Cold weather will really affect the battery. If changing the breaker doesn't work, pull the battery and have it load tested at most any auto parts dealer.
ReneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #23
Frenchy
Established Member

M.O.C. #21550
Welcome to CO!!! I’m in the springs and yes that issue is. normal in this winter weather.
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #24
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
Also check the water levels in the battery before replacing it.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:03 AM   #25
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJohnston View Post
This thread has been great! A few months ago I bought a new Montana 3120RL. I live in Colorado and just returned from a 4 week trip to Arizona. We experienced the same issue both on the way down and back. I'll look for the 80 amp breaker. Any recommendations where to purchase it?
Thx!
Michael
Amazon-Bussmann cb/185-80 circuit breaker-31.95
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:01 AM   #26
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
80 amp breaker installation

I had some issues on our trip this week so I ordered one of these 80 amp breakers and expect it to be delivered today.

Is there a special sequence for installing it? Or is it as simple as - disconnect at the battery + disconnect both poles on the existing breaker and remove + mount the new breaker and re-install wires + connect to battery again.

I think I remember reading the the poles on the new breaker are too big for the existing cables and I may have to drill into the connection to enlarge the holes...correct?

I suppose I would prefer to install the breaker in the “off” position then push to reset once it is all in...but how do you get it into the off position manually? Maybe I’m over thinking it and this will be apparent once I have it in hand.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:52 AM   #27
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
I question if it is your fuse. It is just plain cold, unless you change the fluid it will operate this way.

heppy new year.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:26 AM   #28
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I
Is there a special sequence for installing it? Or is it as simple as - disconnect at the battery + disconnect both poles on the existing breaker and remove + mount the new breaker and re-install wires + connect to battery again.

I think I remember reading the the poles on the new breaker are too big for the existing cables and I may have to drill into the connection to enlarge the holes...correct?

I suppose I would prefer to install the breaker in the “off” position then push to reset once it is all in...but how do you get it into the off position manually? Maybe I’m over thinking it and this will be apparent once I have it in hand.
Correct! Most have to have the eyelets drilled out, but a few lucky one they work fine.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #29
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Never had a problem with mine with the factory setup. But I do not run in very cold weather. Cold weather to me is 30 degrees. I grew up in the northeast and HATE cold weather. Moved to the south west and only go to the east in the summer or early fall.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #30
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
We replace all four batteries right before the trip (4 - 6 volts units) so power is fine. We always leave shore power plugged in while brings slides in and raising landing gear. I will check out the replacing the circuit breaker. And as for cold, it gets minus here sometimes, so it is COLD!
N2BchMtnMrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:46 AM   #31
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
On a side note, when it drops below 0, not sure you can do anything other than ride it out! It's -2 this morning here in Golden, Colorado. Water pipes are frozen, dish net dome is covered in six inches of snow, and taking the dog out for her morning constitutional was actually dangerous for her. Hydraulics are frozen too. The furnace is struggling to hit 58 degrees inside. BABY it's COLD OUTSIDE!!
N2BchMtnMrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:53 AM   #32
captl27
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16077
I have a 2015 3725 and have had issues with the stopping of the hydraulics and I do not use my camper in what I consider cold weather. Shortly after buying my unit I did the recommended changing of anti sticking fluid which seemed to have helped a bit. I have two breakers in parallel and have determined which one is the hydraulic system breaker and I will be replacing it with the listed breaker. The other breaker is connected to smaller gauge wires which I have not checked out yet but because of the gauge I feel it probably is sufficient. I am glad I checked out this thread and feel it may be something that should be out there in some other thread that more people would read beside the cold weather thread. thanks again because I am thankful that I found it
captl27 is offline   Reply With Quote