Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
smfdva
Established Member

M.O.C. #9538
Hooking up Satellite

We tried to hook Direct TV directly to camper (2955rl)and recevied no signal. Hooked Cable up and all is fine. Try Satellite and all I get is NO SIGNAL. On a whim I went behind tv in living area and verified connections. Recevier was pluuged into Cable/Satellite conection, and then from there to TV. That seemed reasonable but nothing. Below the labeled connection is a dual connection that has a 6" looped cable running from the top connection to lower. Plugged receiver into top and nothing, plugged into bottm and wow, satellite works.

Quesion, why does it now work, and what is the pupose of this loop? I do not know how it should be wired/connected because dealer monkied withit trying to get a DVD player to work that ended up being replaced. Any help or pictures would be helpful.

smfdva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'll give it a shot. The booster (amplifier) is in a location that is remote from the main tv. The line runs to the main tv using that loop. In order to watch satellite, you need to plug the bottom of your loop into the satellite as you did. If your satellite receiver has an output for a second tv you can plug the output from the satellite into the top part of the loop and watch the same station on the tv in the bedroom. If you don't have an output you could put a satellite splitter in line with the tv output and feed the top loop for the bedroom.

I'm going from total recall - so I'm sure someone will come along and correct me. I just like being verbose.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
My 2003 2955RL has two connectors,the one in the back (by the water hook up)is for cable and the one up front by the black tank sprayer hook up is for satellite.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
smfdva
Established Member

M.O.C. #9538
Thanks Wayne, gonna give it a try...
Old 09-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by smfdva

We tried to hook Direct TV directly to camper (2955rl)and recevied no signal. Hooked Cable up and all is fine. Try Satellite and all I get is NO SIGNAL. On a whim I went behind tv in living area and verified connections. Recevier was pluuged into Cable/Satellite conection, and then from there to TV. That seemed reasonable but nothing. Below the labeled connection is a dual connection that has a 6" looped cable running from the top connection to lower. Plugged receiver into top and nothing, plugged into bottm and wow, satellite works.

Quesion, why does it now work, and what is the pupose of this loop? I do not know how it should be wired/connected because dealer monkied withit trying to get a DVD player to work that ended up being replaced. Any help or pictures would be helpful.
You found the secret. I have a 2005 2955 and what you found out by trial and error is how my manuals say to hook up to satellite. I beleive satellite signals do not go thru the booster, even turned off as a cable signal will. Your dealer did not mess things up.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
smfdva
Established Member

M.O.C. #9538
Manual! We don't need no stinking manual. Just kidding. My wife said it was not any thing in ours, guess I should have looked. BUt you are right. Trial and error showed to plug satellite receiver into bottom outlet. Using a splitter coming out of receiver, I then plugged LR TV into one part of splitter, and the other went to top outlet. And now I have satellite in bedroom too! Has to be on same channel as living area, but no big deal. So now the outlet labeled Satellite/Cable, has nothing coming from it. Go figure!
Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
smfdva,
What is the model # of your receiver?
Does it have a dual antenna input for sat1 and sat 2, or just one.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
smfdva
Established Member

M.O.C. #9538
One input, and one output...