Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Duh experience

I am usually pretty good at problem solving even in areas where I have little exposure or experience. But once in a while I am like a calf at a new gate. The row of 12 volt ceiling lights (3) in the living/kitchen area along with the outside lights could not be turned on. I immediately went to the fuse box and checked the fuse marked (in very poor hand writing) "living", No failure. Head sctatching. Took the wire from "living" and put it to the propane detector post. Detector was working but no lights. Hmmmmmm. Gave a visual check to all fuses. All appeared to be good. Drat.

Called a local dealer/RV service and was told it would be three weeks. NO WAY!! Another RV service gave me the name of a roving RV repairman I called, minimum $80.00 + parts (he had to drive 50 miles to get to me). Geeesh, ok come on. This guy came up listened to my story, took out his multitester, tested the bank of fuses, found the suspect. He then pulled the fuse and tested it directly. Bad fuse, but broken in an inobvious location. Grrrrrr!! An $80.00 fuse!!! He was kind enough to NOT laugh and suggested I go to Walmart and get a simple little individual fuse extractor amd tester like the one he used to find my problem. Oh, by-the-way, the fuse location was marked "kitchen" and all the kitchen lights were working. Well, duh.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
NEVER NEVER trust a fuse , use a meter. Once flew 2000 miles to find a blown fuse that was loose at the end of the glass case. Oh well at lease it helped my Mileage Plus balance.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I hate when that happens Stiles! I've ran into mislabeled breakers in the stick house as well, only the result is usually me flying across the room from the shock thinking the breaker was off.

I did blow a 12V fuse in our new Monty, and I notice they have little red LEDs now above the fuse that shows which one blew.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
My fuses are like Stiles...some barely legible and a few I cannot read at all. Those old time craftsmen need some old time penmanship classes.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Well Stiles sounds like another project when not fishing in Montana. Checking all the fuses and relabeling them. Sorry bout the $80...but thanks for the information.

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Stiles I am so glad I am not the only person who has these mechanical moments.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote