Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2004, 05:11 PM   #1
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Winter Storage

We're just curious. How many of you folks that live in the northern states and don't travel south for the winter, store your Montana's in a building, cover it up or just leave it out in the open? As for us, it is our first year and we're trying to decide what we want to do for this winter. We don't have building or a cover at this point. I see some portable garages are available for around $2600 or so. The covers are somewhere around $400. Someone told me awhile back, that the covers are a hassle to put on.

All replies are appreciated.

Thanks for any and all ideas on this subject.

Gary & Carole

cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:01 AM   #2
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
We have to store the 5er off our premises so a portable garage is out of the question. Our only options are no cover or one of those $400 items that we have heard are difficult to put on. Like you we would welcome any suggestions or advice from those who have dealt with this problem!!! Anybody out there please???
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:23 AM   #3
Montana_89
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #89
Since we use it in the Pocono Mountains all winter (weekends) it stays out in the elements. No problems so far. We put the slides in and out every weekend to keep the hydralic fluid on all the seals.
Montana_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:19 AM   #4
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
We live in MN and store our unit all winter. Last year when we bought it in October we kept it stored in the dealer parking lot where they keep the units to be serviced. They didn't cover it or anything and it was just fine. Oh and they didn't put the slides in and out for us either.

But... this year we are keeping it at the place we store it and it will be outside again but we will be covering it. I know the covers are a pain to put on but once you get it on it will be on for a good 5 months so it's worth it to me. We will probably park it on boards too so the tires don't sit on the pavement.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:21 AM   #5
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
We store our 2955RL outdoors at a storage lot when we're not using it. For storage I run the tires on pads, spray them with a sealer, also put covers on the tires. Cover the A/C and put a plastic bag over the signal seeking satellite. Don't want ice, etc. getting into the gears. Haven't had any problems yet. We live in NW Indiana and do get a little snow and ice. We'll get it out of storage in Jan. and head for FL for a couple months.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:54 AM   #6
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Hi Cargary;
Congratulations on the purchase. I know you will love it. As far as winter storage, we have always left ours out in the elements. I can't think of a harsher winter climate than ours in NW ND. I don't cover the camper. I feel the UV rays are very minimal and in fact outdoor storage in the summer is harder on the unit than winter storage. Make sure the unit is winterized properly with a good antifreeze if you use that,and make sure the vents, windows and doors on the storage compartments are all secured and latched good, you should be fine. I don't have suggestions on the slides, but i do notice the local dealers have units parked in their lots all winter and they are close enough to each other so they can't open the slides.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:52 AM   #7
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I am seriously considering using a cover this year. I know a few that do and feel it is a worthwhile investment.
Anyone else out there use a cover?
Anyone used to cover and now don't? Why?

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:19 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We use our unit year round so no need to do anything.
But I was advised NOT to cover the rig at all. First of all, in the summer, as Virgil said "the UV rays are very minimal and in fact outdoor storage in the summer is harder on the unit than winter storage."
Secondly if the cover doesn't breath it will allow sweating (moisture) which on warmer days can creat mold/mildew and the moisture is not good for the rig when the temps again go below freezing.
Third, the constant movement of the cover on windy days will allow chafing which can damage the paint, graphics, etc.
As for the slides, it was suggested to leave them in but if you do leave them out DO NOT block them up.

Clean it good, place the tires and jacks on wooden blanks, apply a coat of 303 Protectant to the entire rig including the tires. Covering the tires is an option.
Lastly BLOWOUT all the waterlines before adding the antifreeze. Blowing all the water out of the lines before adding the antifreeze reduces the chances of the antifreeze beening diluted.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:36 AM   #9
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I agree with glenn and lorraine. I've had several units and all are outdoors all winter with no problem. I don't cover them for the same reasons stated above.go with what works for you...so far it's worked for me!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:27 PM   #10
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
We store it over the winter without a cover. Just winterize and cover the wheels. Make sure all doors are closed or critters may get in.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:10 PM   #11
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Glenn & Lorraine -
Glenn, whats the idea behind using wood under the tires. At first I thought you meant you would jack the tires off the ground and block them - (block under the axles) so the weight was off the tires.
But then reviewed what you said and was curious as to the benefit of having wood between the tires and the earth, stone, or paved surface.

Thanks,
Gary & Carole
Old 09-15-2004, 10:14 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I will be keeping my coach inside for the winter. I have always stored my previous Mountaineer inside for the winter. I do put the tire covers on as well as a cover over the A/C. Just helps keeping the dirt and dust out. As far as covering if kept outside I will agree with Glenn. My neighbor did that and the cover blowing in the wind did so much damage to the fiberglass and roof. He had said almost $2,800 in repair bills. From talking with my dealer, they say if you store outside make sure your winterized and leave a roof vent cracked (if you have the maxair vent covers). Do not use covers as the will damage the coach with moisture and movement. In my opinion I would look around and try and find indoor storage. Many of your stockyards, fair grounds, and industrial buildings that are not used in the winter offer storage for boats, and rv's. Up here in the Northwest indoor storage is costing approx $1.25 to $2.00 a foot. At 38 feet I figure the $76 is worth the protection on the coach. Most outdoor storage around here seems to be $45-$60 per month. Some places give a discount if you have more than one vehicle stored for winter like a boat and rv or what not. Also if you pay the full 6 months upfront they give a little bit of a discount as well. I wish I was able to head south for the winters, but will have to keep working for a few more years. =(
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 03:28 AM   #13
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Good to know about the cover, we might be rethinking it. And storage for you at $75 a month is awesome. It's a minimum of $140 and most places can't accomodate the height or length of our unit. So, we will be keeping it outside.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I will be keeping my coach inside for the winter. I have always stored my previous Mountaineer inside for the winter. I do put the tire covers on as well as a cover over the A/C. Just helps keeping the dirt and dust out. As far as covering if kept outside I will agree with Glenn. My neighbor did that and the cover blowing in the wind did so much damage to the fiberglass and roof. He had said almost $2,800 in repair bills. From talking with my dealer, they say if you store outside make sure your winterized and leave a roof vent cracked (if you have the maxair vent covers). Do not use covers as the will damage the coach with moisture and movement. In my opinion I would look around and try and find indoor storage. Many of your stockyards, fair grounds, and industrial buildings that are not used in the winter offer storage for boats, and rv's. Up here in the Northwest indoor storage is costing approx $1.25 to $2.00 a foot. At 38 feet I figure the $76 is worth the protection on the coach. Most outdoor storage around here seems to be $45-$60 per month. Some places give a discount if you have more than one vehicle stored for winter like a boat and rv or what not. Also if you pay the full 6 months upfront they give a little bit of a discount as well. I wish I was able to head south for the winters, but will have to keep working for a few more years. =(
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 05:40 AM   #14
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
wood under the tires is good to keep from sinking(in dirt or on grass). if on concrete or pavement it's not a big deal. also tires will freeze to the ground.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 05:06 PM   #15
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Thanks everyone for the good comments and suggestions. I think we will be looking for a place such as Montana Sky suggested and see what they ask for storing it. If not available at a reasonable cost, we can always keep it outside as some have suggested, as we have the room here outside of Portland, Mi.

Thanks again everyone.
Gary & Carole
Old 09-20-2004, 05:22 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mel, I agree with those who recommend not using a cover. I once covered for the winter my toy car, a '63 Impala convertible and sure regretted it when I uncovered it in the spring. The paint was rubbed off all the knife edges on the fenders. Never again. When we had a stick home we stored our Montana outside for the winter. We just winterized, cracked a vent (with maxxair cover as noted above), plugged it in to shore power and never had a problem. If you don't plug it in then I recommend removing the battery or charging it once per month. Plugging it in kept the battery charged. I've also heard the slight hum from the converter keeps the mice away. I don't know if that's accurate but we never had the critters inside that I know of.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 03:24 AM   #17
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thanks for all the good advice about winter storage. Guess we'll pass on the cover though I sure would like to find a covered storage area. Checking the county fairgrounds sounds smart!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote