Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Useing cell phone for internet.

I am usually pretty literate in technology. But I live in a technology backward area. I have repedely tried to ask for information on useing a cell phone to connect to the internet. Amazingly I get "You can do that!" This is from people that are in the business.
I have searched all the web sites of cell phone providers. and information is minimal. I am looking to switch providers and want to know which is best for coverage and data. It appears to me that I cannot just connect my phone to my laptop and connect. I must buy data transfer by the kilobyte up to unlimited depending what I am willing to pay.
It appears that you in MOC have more experiance and knowledge than the personell who run the stores here.

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:51 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've been very happy with Cingular. The only thing we had to buy to connect with our laptop and cellphone is the cable to connect the two. That came from Nokia and was roughly forty bucks. We pay nothing extra on the phone service for data service. It does use our minutes, however, so we usually wait until after 9pm or weekends to connect with cell phone. The laptop just sees the phone as an external modem and dials the phone just like when you're connected directly to a phone line. Be aware cell phone connection is very slow.

Coverage in our 20 months of fulltiming around the country has far exceeded our expectations. There have been a very few places with no connection or a very weak connection but that's been rare.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:22 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
trukdoc,
Hello Rick and Wanda. We use Verizon Wireless. We have both a voice phone and a data phone. The data phone is simply a card that plugs into our laptop. We pay for the data line separately. In other words it is not part of our voice plan. We got a good deal on our data card. We pay $50 per month for unlimited connection. Speed wise it is somewhere between a dial up connection and a dsl connection. I wish it were a bit faster but we are able to do just fine. If I were using it for business we'd have to have a faster connection. I don't know why they gave me such a good deal on the data phone. Most places want up to about $80 for same service.

We started out using our regular voice phone to connect to the internet. We bought the connector cords from our local Verizon store. About 50 or 60 dollars. Each phone seems to have its' own connector so make sure you get the right one. It comes with software. Basically run the software to setup the program and plug your phone into the computer and away you go.

Our plan was like the one Steve described. If you use it during peak hours then you're using minutes from your plan. Between 9pm and 6am local time you have unlimited connection time with NO charge to your plan and no MB charges. Also it is free all weekend and on most Holidays. It's actually pretty neat. Problem is it is just slow. You get a connection of about 14.4. Great for just checking and sending email but not real good for surfing the web. But it does work and the price is right.

Another problem we had was the battery on the phone running down. You could not have the phone charging and have the data port plugged in. There was no physical room for both at the same time on our phone. So we'd use it until the battery got low then log off and charge the phone and go again. We even used this setup on our most recent trip back to Goshen for the Rally. We were somewhere and could not make a connection with the data card so I tried the phone cord and got on. I've since upgraded phones and of course it takes a different type connector! So I guess we won't be using that process anymore. So if you need a connector cord let me know. The cord set is for a Kyocera 2135 model phone. They're a few years old so I doubt they're still supported.

If you're really serious about data connection then you should look at the satellite connections. MotoSat if you've got big bucks is the way to go. Portable or mobile tripod connection if you're looking for connection at a few less bucks. The MotoSat is about 4 -6 K. And the tripod setup is running about 800 to 1500 hundred bucks. This would give you TV channels plus a two way internet connection around DSL speeds. For phone connection you could try Voice over Internet. There is a latency problem with the VOI protocol but it does work.

As Steve pointed out the coverage areas have improved dramatically over the last few years. Many more cell towers and many agreements between different carriers give really good service just about everywhere! Check the various service area maps of the various companies. There are some that simply do not have as wide a coverage as others. Also read very carefully the plan agreements. They can have a big impact on what you end up paying. Took us about 2 or 3 months of shopping and comparing.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:31 AM   #4
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Did you ever think of getting a job at a Cell Phone store? LOL. You have given me 10 times the information than the local vendors have. What little I knew typically was more than the people that sell the phones. Numerous times when asking for information I litterally got "You can do that" in referance to hooking a laptop to a Cell phone. Talk about "Knowing your product".
I am connected through CellularOne aka. Western Wireless. I have used the setup you have mentioned and through my service I get the message that I am not suscribed to the function necessary to complete this call. Needless to say I do not recomend Western Wireless or CellularOne.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:43 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Trukdoc, Dennis provided some great info. About the only thing I see different from his description, when comparing ours, is our phone is able to have the charger plugged in at the same time it's connected to the laptop. So you'd want to check the phone to see if that's doable or not. Also, in non-digital areas our speed is as low as 9600. We do not use the cell as our primary means of connecting. We use it only when we have no other access or the access available is not desirable. If we were making cell the primary, I'd go with something faster, such as what Dennis describes with the separate data phone setup.

I think Cingular probably has this type of situation, I've just not checked into it. I think you'll find on this site that many people are happy with Cingular, many with Verizon, and probably others.

edited -- I should add that while we don't pay anything extra to Cingular, we do have to have a dialup ISP, for which I pay $8.99/month.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
You have received some good advice. I have posted before that I use T-Moble to connect to the internet. But I use Bluetooth technology. It is installed in my laptop and my phone. You can have an after market install but I do not know the cost. For me I pay $19.95 plus tax per month for unlimited access 24/7 and do not use any cell phone minutes. I don't need cable or wires, I just need to have my cell phone within thirty feet of my computer. It's as slow as dial up. So that's the down side. I also have Airport extreme, where I can be in some airports, (which I never will be), coffee shops or or certain parks in towns where I can go online just by turning on my computer and logging on. Minus the cell phone. I can also keep my cell phone on a charge while I"m online to keep the battery up.

So there are ways to connect using your cell phone or not using your cell phone. I do understand your frustration with dealing with the employees of the companies you call. The technology is very new and the training is not up to speed. It took some time for me to get up an running because the Bluethooth system was too new. It's not cable. But to got online anywhere, for the price, anytime, it is worth the slow speed and the time it took to set it up. I think you should just keep asking the questions and keeping our goal in mind. You will find the service that works for your and your needs. It's out there.

I just hope it just keeps getting better. I just went through four hurricanes and never lost my connection. That's pretty cool!
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 02:27 PM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
There are many answers to the internet by cell phone queston. I can only tell you what works for me. I am writing this in a Flying J parking lot in Kentucky on my laptop which has a single cable from my USP port to a socket on my cell phone (a Samsung A460). The phone connects to my ISP back in Canada via the Sprint network. It uses Sprint's 1X data network and is quite fast, not cable speed, but much better than the 56K land line, or the regular cell connection. It works most places I have been, but like all cell service it is only as good as the network it is using. The hardest part may be finding a dealer with enough technical smarts to understand what you want to do. Although you wouldn't be dealing with Bell Canada, if you go to their website (www.Bell.ca)there is some information on this system. It will also work with an AirCard, but I prefer to use the phone because I can attach an external antenna if necessary. My phone can also be plugged into a charger as I am using it if I need to.

The technology is definitely there, you just have to find a source.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:21 PM   #8
THE BAILEY BEARS
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #300
We use our Verizon phone and although it works very well it is slow. If we are in a campground that has a connection I would rather use their line. We have had good coverage wherever we have been although the signal at times is a little weak.
THE BAILEY BEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:56 PM   #9
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
We have a Motorola 270 with a connectivity kit. It connects at 19.2k which is very slow but works well when wi-fi is not available. Alltel does not charge for data transmission. I use earthlink for my ISP.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:33 AM   #10
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
We have been using Verizon with our LG4400X cell phone. We are only using minutes and not paying extra for data. We are on the America's Choice plan with free evenings and weekend. I bought a cable at Radio shack to connect the phone to the laptop and downloaded the driver from the internet. The connection speed seems to vary a lot from about 28,800kbs up to maybe three or four times that.

I agree with the other posters that you will be met with blank stares by most salespeople at cell phone stores. Just remember that many of them were selling shoes or lumber a week before....Whatever phone or plan you choose I am sure you can find everything you need on the internet if you do a google search. There are newsgroups for just about any flavor of phone and service you could dream of. Even in our case for Macintosh users of VX4400 phones on Verizon!

Good luck.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:55 AM   #11
Montana_339

M.O.C. #339
We've been using Verizon as others have described (data line to the PC and Verizon software from Radioshack for our Motorola phone)and have been reasonably satisfied. We have the Verizon "Family SharePlan."

However, when we connect via the phone we usually have a choice of two data networks without the cost of the separate data plan (not sure if documented or not but it works for us..). The slow connection, "Quick to Net," works in nondigital or digital areas and is about 14,000 speed, the faster one, "Express Network," is available in Verizon digital areas only and is usually about 156,000 (about 3 times speed of dial up at 56K). It is a bit slow but usable for the Internet, e-mail, etc. If you have Verizon and don't have the faster option, you might want to call them to see if they will give you access to the fast network, esp. since there is apparently no additional cost.

We have found Verizon to have good coverage, particularly in the East and South. We didn't have a lot of luck in the rural Oklahoma and Arkansas area last summer, however.

Incidently, we are looking into getting a signal booster to help out a bit re reception/sending. Anybody have any experience with these?

Montana_339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:28 PM   #12
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
As you can see, Trukdoc, there are a lot of us using our cell phones to Surf the Net.

One additional connectivity is through a cellular modem. These are manufactured by a number of companies (mine's an Ositech) and do not require a digital connection - it can work through an analog voice connection.

We use both our Ositech modem (through the laptop) and a serial data cable through our desktop depending upon which computer is connected at the moment. [I've set up a LAN that allows us to use both machines through the same phone regardless which computer's actually connected.]
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 04:00 PM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stuart01

Incidently, we are looking into getting a signal booster to help out a bit re reception/sending. Anybody have any experience with these?
I am also interested in signal amplifiers for my cell phone. I use an external antenna, and that helps some.

So far as I have been able to discover, the commonly available amps do not amplify CDMA signals, and CDMA is the technology that Verizon, Sprint and Bell Canada use. All three providers offer similar digital and data service. If anyone comes across an amp that will definitely work with CDMA digital service, please let us know.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:39 AM   #14
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
For what it's worth, I wanted to check the speed we get using our cell phone on Verizon. I ran four tests on web sites that check your speed and came up with the following. Cnet says my thruput is 69.9 Kbps, PC Pitstop says it is 97Kbps, Toast.net says 61Kbps and Bandwidthplace.com says it is 74.5KbPs. As a comparison a dial up modem is typically about 50Kbps. All these rates vary depending on how far you are from the cell tower and how good a signal you have. Also, our phone is 1X enabled (almost all new ones are) which probably gives us better speed over say, a four year old phone.

All in all, even at home I use my cell phone rather than dial up. With free evenings it is cheaper and faster than the 'old fashioned way.'
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:20 PM   #15
Ken Wiseman
Established Member

M.O.C. #1229
Send a message via Yahoo to Ken Wiseman
How about unlimited internet access at 240,000 kps for a nominal monthly fee? Then you need to check out Sprint. Any Sprint phone with their "vision" service (an extra $15/month) already has high speed internet ready to use on any computer via a simple USB cable. This is untimed, high speed service anywhere in the SprintPCS network. No need for a PSMCIA card, or another ISP (there is a single number to use throughout the US - #777). I connected today with a nominal speed of 240,000 kps while driving down the road - well, not me but the co-pilot. Although WiFi is good (and faster) it is not yet as common (or as cheap) as this Sprint service.
BTW Do not talk to the guys at the Sprint store about this - they will try to sell you a separate card and account. There are lots of web pages and Blogs that discuss the setup process (actually very easy) and trouble shooting issues (few).

I have no connection to Sprint other than as my cell phone provider. I would stongly suggest that you give them a try if you are seeking internet service while on the road.

kw
Ken Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:47 AM   #16
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ken Wiseman

How about unlimited internet access at 240,000 kps for a nominal monthly fee? Then you need to check out Sprint. Any Sprint phone with their "vision" service (an extra $15/month) already has high speed internet ready to use on any computer via a simple USB cable. This is untimed, high speed service anywhere in the SprintPCS network. No need for a PSMCIA card, or another ISP (there is a single number to use throughout the US - #777). I connected today with a nominal speed of 240,000 kps while driving down the road - well, not me but the co-pilot. Although WiFi is good (and faster) it is not yet as common (or as cheap) as this Sprint service.
BTW Do not talk to the guys at the Sprint store about this - they will try to sell you a separate card and account. There are lots of web pages and Blogs that discuss the setup process (actually very easy) and trouble shooting issues (few).
This is the same service that we use, although we buy it from Bell Canada, it uses the same 777 number and works on the Sprint network in the US and the Bell network in Canada quite seamlessly. The key thing is to have a 1X enabled cell phone and a service provider to support it. (Sprint or Verizon). I'm not sure what Sprint do, but Bell has a dedicated support team for 1X service who are availble 24/7, but once I got past the initial set-up, I have not needed further support. Finding anyone with much knowledge of 1X in a retail outlet is pretty unlikely, but I did get lucky in the store I bought mine. One handy thing about using 1X as opposed to WiFi is that you are not tied to specific locations, you can stop anywhere and dial up the internet if you need to. This service is not the same as using your cell phone as a modem, this is a generation of technology past that, and much faster.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:24 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ken, I'm wondering if Sprint has improved their cell coverage? A couple of years ago my brother got Sprint and ended up giving it up. He lives about 15 miles off an interstate, on top of a hill, and could not get a signal from his home. He also found that any time he got more than 10 or 15 miles from the interstate he had problems. My uncle and aunt who used to be fulltime rv'ers had the same problem. Has Sprint improved their coverage? I'm always looking for something better. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:45 AM   #18
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I just got a really neat tool for connecting to the Internet using my laptop. It's a Sprint PCS PCMCIA card. It automatically connects to either an available wireless network or cell network. No dialing etc, just click the icon and BAM it's connected. Over Thanksgiving we stayed at our farm which is located in a place my cell phone has a hard time connecting and I was able to get online check email, surf etc. I still plan on going with a satellite connection solution but this really impressed me. The card was around $100 and I chosse the $80 unlimited monthly program.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 03:22 PM   #19
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Just a confirmation of HamRad's info, we use Verizon and although slow, it works!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:41 PM   #20
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Sure appreciate all the information. You all have been great providing the wealth of information you use everyday.
Rick