Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2008, 12:04 AM   #21
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Another mis-direction...
While at the Fall Rally I discovered another RV surplus store just 5 miles away. It's about as easy to get to as you could ever want. It's just 4.9 miles down County Route 34. County route 34 is the same road the Elkhart Fairgrounds is on. We all used 34 coming or going.
Actual directions are..When leaving the fairgrounds, turn right onto 34. Travel 34 4.9 miles and the RV surplus is on the right. Sounds simple enough to me.
GPS directions..Turn LEFT onto CR34, follow CR34 to SR33 and turn right. Take SR33 to Indiana rte 4. Take IN4 to SR13 south. SR13 south to CR34. Right on CR34 1 mile. RV store on the left. Talk about a scenic route? Distance traveled just over 12 miles.
Not sure which brand GPS was used.
The address for the RV surplus was 12768 County Route 34.

Just having the address on their business card I drove just over 5 miles as I missed their driveway and had to turn around and go back.

I am still kind of considering a GPS but when I read these mis-directions I gotta wonder. I don't mind missing a destination when driving just the TV but when I have the Monty behind me I don't want to be getting into any bad situations caused by some electronic devise that I just paid big $$$.$$ for.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:06 AM   #22
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
This summer we took a trip through Canada and Alaska. I use the Garmin 7200 and I found every address I was looking for by entering it in the Garmin. We did confirm the route by checking maps also but the Garmin was a great tool.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #23
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Doug, What you are saying is part of my quandary. We did confirm the route by checking maps and you are not the only one to say that. If I gotta look at maps to be sure the GPS is giving me the correct info than why bother with the GPS in the first place? Been driving since I was 14. Learned to use road maps shortly thereafter. Spent 5 years in Transportation in the Army and only got to where I was going because of maps. After the service I spent many more years driving truck and still had my maps handy.

In all those years rarely have I ever gotten lost, slightly disoriented maybe but rarely lost.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:12 AM   #24
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

This summer we took a trip through Canada and Alaska. I use the Gamin 7200 and I found every address I was looking for by entering it in the Gamin. We did confirm the route by checking maps also but the Gamin was a great tool.
As Doug said when you put in an address the Gamin will always get you there but, if you use the database to find a RV Park it only usually gets you there. For the River's Edge RV Park in Fairbanks it was off by a literal mile and took us into a residential area. In Grand Forks North Dakota it took us to the wrong side of the Intestate and again into a residential area. Neither of these parks is new so I don't understand why they are wrong.

A place where the Gamin really shines is if you are driving in an unfamiliar place at night when you can't see the street signs and it tells you where to turn.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:58 AM   #25
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
When I call for reservations at a cg I ask if the address on the site can be used for the gps,sometimes the address is the mailing address which can be at a different location nearby.recently in Virgina when asked this question the cg informed me the gps would take you to large red barn and they gave me vocal directions and told me the error is with garmin,so like any product there are problems.It would be nice if all cg's would put the coordinates on the site.I also check the gps with streets and trips
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:26 AM   #26
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
I drove semis over-the road for about sixteen years back in my restless youth and with the help of the FREE maps you could pick up in truck stops I made my decisions on routing then one day, to my delight I found a spiral bound atlas, which did not require all that folding when finished with it. I could actually refold the maps after a few years of practice. I still did not get information reagarding the heights of overpasses and where bridges would not hold my weight but it did bring some of the adventure to the job. I still use those spiral bound atlas's to this day.

I can trust this new stuff yet. In fact I just added a laptop to this last campout so I am a little late on upgrading. Jon
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #27
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I find the best for me is to use Google maps to select route, then check the truckers atlas for a clear route, then check for heights in the truckers atlas, we make a copy of the map and instructions, then, when we get in the truck, the DW will put in the CG address in the nav system. As we drive along we double check the map versus the Nav system, wehn we are close to CG we rely on nav system to give guidance while DW is checking the written maps. Overkill maybe, but we don't take chances with the Monty attached, been there, done it. Ask DW about Moonshine Pass Rd in Oregon the next time you see her. Ask her about Doyle Rd in Kentucky also. Then ask her how well I can make a U turn on a muddy dirt road.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #28
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
I do not have a GPS yet. But I have found that Map quest and Rand McNally both have sent me on a wild goose chase looking for addresses here in Indiana. Maybe they figure "there is more than corn in Indiana" so they send me all around it?
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote