Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
GPS Pickup

Is there anyone that is having trouble picking up GPS Satellites. I have a Garmin 340 C. My unit may be going bad. Started acting up on Sunday on our way home frome camping going through the tornado ZONE in Iowa. I just brought it in the stick house and updated it on the computer. We will see if that helps. I keep losing satellite contact and there is nothing that is blocking the view...Give me your thoughts on this one... Please Thanks...JB

deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:16 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
My unit has been a bit sluggish acquiring satellites, and does drop once in awhile. Mostly OK, however.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've used our Garmin 2720 several times per week lately because I still can't find my way around this place. It's had no problems at all with finding and holding satellites.

Has anything changed in your rig that might affect it? Like a new windshield different from the old? There's some kind of shielding or antenna or something in some windshields that supposedly affect reception.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Thanks Guys:
I think I have it figured out as to what it is. I need a new cord. This one only works part time when in the truck. The unit works fine when hooked up to the computer in stick home.
It is from taking it off of the dash and putting it in the center consul and slamming the door on the cord. Garmin will give me a new one. My daughter has a friend that is an Exect. there... Thanks for the feedback..JB
Old 05-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have found Garmin exceptional in their customer service in that respect. When I was emailing with them about something else I mentioned my 12v power cord fit a bit loosely to the Garmin and was in danger of disconnecting at any time. They sent me a new cord.

I'm not quite sure what that cord has to do with holding satellites unless maybe it's losing power because of a break in the cord or something. I hope the cord takes care of it for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:38 AM   #6
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
It does break the power circuit. You can do the same thing by just unplugging the cord and plugging it back in. Only takes a second.. Thanks.. JB