Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2007, 03:40 AM   #1
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
RV Directory for GPS

I placed this topic in "general topics" rather than "GPS" for more of our members to read it. If any of you Garmin or TomTom owners would like a "RV Parks and Campgrounds" directory as part of your GPS system, I have a website that you can visit. The easy and immediate (after you pay $49.95)download will provide you with 20,260 parks/campgrounds throughout the U.S. It requires 4 MB of memory and comes up as Points of Interest (POIs) in your menu. You also have the option of ordering/downloading either the eastern US or western US for less money. The website is http://www.coolrvtoyz.com for anyone who is interested. By the way, I am NOT receiving any financial benefit from this site!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:02 AM   #2
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
Will this work in other GPS systems? I have the factory one in my chevy.
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:08 AM   #3
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dscott

Will this work in other GPS systems? I have the factory one in my chevy.
I don't think so!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:34 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Art,

Aren't these campgrounds already in the Garmin database? If they have an address, they should already be in there. Am I missing something?

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Art,

Aren't these campgrounds already in the Garmin database? If they have an address, they should already be in there. Am I missing something?

Brad, don't most campgrounds have a "GPS" address on the web site
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Oldguard,

I find that to be an intriguing question. In my limited amount of campground internet surfing, I don't find many with the GPS on the web sites. Do you really?? And, if so, please enlighten us all, seriously, I guess as much surfing as I do, I just don't look up campgrounds like that.

What process do you use, I asked this question a while back, and as far as I know, received no answers.

I know there is something I need to learn here, someone HELP!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Longitude and altitude
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bill,

Yes you are right, that is pretty cool that the campgrounds are including their GPS coordinates.

But I'm still confused why I would want to pay $49 to download a directory of campgrounds that is already in my Garmin (Nuvi). When I enter an address to a campground or even do a search, it already shows up with the name of the campground, telephone number, and directions, just like on this products website. Maybe some GPS system don't work from an address?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #9
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
When using my garmin, I have found some campgrounds listed under lodging. However, most of the time they are not. I generally input the address into my Garmin for a routing. In addition, the routing provided in the Garmin is not always accurate compared to using the address. For example, we were looking for a campground near the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. The campground came up in the Garmin, but the routing was totally erroneous. We ended up in a residential area with no sign of a campground. When I inserted the address, it routed me to the correct location just a short distance from where the Garmin originally took me.

msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
But Mark, do you think this software would be any different? I bet they get the info from the same source (phone company).

The only advantage would be if it put a new button for campgrounds on the screen instead of using the lodging button, but I'm sure it can't as that would be Garmin Nuvi specific software changes.

PS - Not surprised the Garmin tried to dump you in a residential area in Colorado Springs! There has been so much major highway construction in that town for the last two years my Nuvi usually things I'm driving in the river as I run down the freeway.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #11
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
I agree. For that reason I can't see paying anything extra for additional software. I find it's generally more accurate to use trailer life or woodalls on line, get the address then input the address.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #12
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Oldguard,

I find that to be an intriguing question. In my limited amount of campground internet surfing, I don't find many with the GPS on the web sites. Do you really?? And, if so, please enlighten us all, seriously, I guess as much surfing as I do, I just don't look up campgrounds like that.

What process do you use, I asked this question a while back, and as far as I know, received no answers.

I know there is something I need to learn here, someone HELP!!!
Carol,if you look at this link you will see the GPS location

http://www.resortsofdistinction.com/directory/index.cfm
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:52 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Oldguard

AH HA

Thanks, for the link, are there many others, first, not a member of resortsofdistinction, second, not a lot of parks there.

Probably a wave of the future, as GPS coordinates were found for Elkhart County Fair Grounds on their web site, first I personally had seen.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:47 AM   #14
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I think another argument for the Campground being POIs (like Brad,however, I can't see shelling out $50 for this) is that (I believe I read it right) a proximity alarm can be set up with the Nuvi so that you get a notice when you get close to one of the POIs.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #15
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Ok I must be really lame here......

I'm not getting information for a campground as easy as you guys, but you did mention "putting in the address"

What if you don't have an address?

What if you are traveling and plans change and you are in a different cit......you need a campground....how do you then find one on your GPS? The only inforamtion you have is the city name?

We have done this. We have a Garmin Nuvi and was not too successful in finding campgrounds in the area.

Am I missing something?
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:09 AM   #16
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
Kevin and Denise

I usually carry a copy of trailer life or woodalls with me and make my plans for stopping about lunch time. If the address is not in the directory, I'll pull out the cell phone and call the campground for the address.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:08 AM   #17
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I'm with Kevin and Denise. I have a new Nuvi650 and am not having much luck finding campgrounds. Am I missing something here?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #18
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
There are a couple of questions here. First, there are ways of using POI files between different GPS makers. Many, like Garmin, use a .csv file, while others use .gpx files. This can be read in an excel spreadsheet. The program POI edit can be used, evidently to switch between formats. However, Tom Tom encrypts some of their files (such as their Dunkin Donut file) and use a .ov2 format. Go to POI-Factory.com for a lot of information on this. I have not gotten my new Nuvi 680, but I went into Garmin Mapsource and the campgrounds are under Lodging, Sub Category Camprgound/RV Park. Found every RV campground within the area, including those not found in Woodalls or Trailer Life. Hope this helps "a little".
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #19
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
I'm in the same boat with Partycrasher. We just got our 760 Garmin. Looked for a cg in/near Memphis and I couldn't believe there were no cg's listed under lodging. And I know there are cg's there. So this program may well be worth the price.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #20
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
slewis, Next time you are looking for a campground near Memphis try the Argicenter. It's on Germantown Rd. south of I-40 about 6-7 miles. Not a lot of amenities but in a safe location with great eating places nearby.
The Argicenter probably has 300 campsites. All with E&W and some with sewer.
Very little shade but a lot better than some of the other CG's around Memphis, I know I'm retired from there.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote