Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2006, 04:32 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Excellent choice! Congratulations and welcome to MOC!

I saw your mention of Durango so checked your profile and see you are from Farmington, NM. We were not too far from you back on 3/14 when we overnighted at Cortez. We drove over to Durango for a looksee and dinner. Beautiful area. We will have to go back when we can spend some time there.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:42 AM   #22
Montana_5621
Established Member

M.O.C. #5621
Glad you were able to enjoy some of the Durango area. Hope to see you on the road sometime!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Excellent choice! Congratulations and welcome to MOC!

I saw your mention of Durango so checked your profile and see you are from Farmington, NM. We were not too far from you back on 3/14 when we overnighted at Cortez. We drove over to Durango for a looksee and dinner. Beautiful area. We will have to go back when we can spend some time there.
Montana_5621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:10 AM   #23
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I live in Colorado and don't get down to Durango enough, it would be my ideal place to retire and live but I think you have to be independently wealthy or own a business or something to be able to live there. Very pretty area though and just across the border you have beautiful places in NM as well.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:58 AM   #24
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Al,

Trust me when I say, the Montana WILL give you more bang for your buck than a Cardinal will. I am not showing any partiality here. In my position, I'm not supposed to.

Dale
MIMF
MIMF2
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:32 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In case you are wondering, MIMF works for Lippert, the company who builds the frame, landing gear and slide mechanisms, etc.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We too were looking at all brands for several months. When Cheryl walked into the Montana 3400RL it was like a lightning stike. Done deal. We have looked at a few other brands since - the last one was a 38' Dutchman Grand Junction, which I kind of liked (seperate full bathroom, but smaller living area because of that), but she just shook her head. She must see something. I am extremely biased because of this forum (family). Cheryl is not on the forum, so she is "untainted" (???). There is just nothing else out there that has hit her like this did.

This goes against her nature, as evidenced by when we shopped for a 10 year diamond ring for her (no, I do NOT pick those things out myself - I just buy em after she decides. Tried it the other way way - didn't work...), and everytime she thought she really liked a particular ring, I talked her into checking out one more jewery store. This continued, and she kept changing her mind, until we found a really nice diamond ring (that I liked the price of). She has NOT done this with her Montana. She has locked down tightly on this one, and I can't shake her. That's why I say that Montana must have something special going on.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:28 PM   #27
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Cardinal was my other choice but I am real big on stairway safety. See my post on the MARS forum.

Anyway, something that makes a stairway safe ( besides a handrail ) is that the steps are the same from top to bottom. Cardinals have a wooden storage box for the bottom step and the other two are carpet steps.

One thing Forest River does is give bigger payloads by having 6000 pound axles on the same size model as my 2955RL. The 5000 pound axles I have make for a fairly skinny payload but it is enough.

Last but not least, we felt the Cardinal felt like an RV, the Montanas feel like a home.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 06:15 PM   #28
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

Last but not least, we felt the Cardinal felt like an RV, the Montanas feel like a home.
I have to agree with Don & Donna, ours feels more like a home.

Personally I was not impressed with the Cardinals we saw when we were shopping. Now that was back in 2002 and I certainly didn't see all of the Cardinal models, maybe they have changed. I do think you get a greater bang for your buck with a Montana. If we were to ever buy another fiver it would be a Montana do be sure.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:01 PM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, I had the impression 6000 lb axles were the lightest axles used on the Montanas. Have you checked to make sure yours are 5,000 lb? I have been wrong before so would appreciate hearing if you are sure of the 5,000 number on the new 2955's. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:38 AM   #30
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
This kind of "off topic" I suppose, but I recently saw an Open Road opened up for body repair, believe me, under the skin, there is no comparison between an Open Road and a Montana, I don't know about Cardinal, but I will repeat what I have told others: "If you can possibly get to Goshen and Elkart in N. Indiana; take the plant tours and see for yourself what goes into each brand".
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:22 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

This kind of "off topic" I suppose, but I recently saw an Open Road opened up for body repair, believe me, under the skin, there is no comparison between an Open Road and a Montana, I don't know about Cardinal, but I will repeat what I have told others: "If you can possibly get to Goshen and Elkart in N. Indiana; take the plant tours and see for yourself what goes into each brand".
Amen to that..We have been to the Cardinal , Coachman, Jayco, Nu-Wa
plants and 3 of the keystone facilities. This is where you see the difference in Rv's.I know this is not possible but I would not a RV without having first toured the plant...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:30 AM   #32
2-in-the-woods
Established Member

M.O.C. #5739

We have an 2001 Cardinal 32' with 3 slides which we have enjoyed fulltiming in. We have had no problems in the six years we have had it. So needless to say it was a good unit for us. We have just ordered a 2007 Montana 3500. We are excited about this purchase and hope it will fill the needs our Cardinal did.
2-in-the-woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #33
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Tell me why you chose Montana over Cardinal this time, layout? Cardinal has a new model out that we feel in love with at the show, full size bunks that slide out in rear room with it's own sink and toilet, plus you can close the kids off when trying to talk with adults. Nice rig.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #34
2-in-the-woods
Established Member

M.O.C. #5739
We chose the Montana 3500 because of the floor plan mainly and close to home for service center.
2-in-the-woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #35
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Congrats on choosing the 3475. We have been fulltiming for over a year in ours and we love it, even with two large goldens packed in with us. Safe travels.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:11 PM   #36
Bill and Bobbi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5292
Good luck and happy times in whatever you decide on! The Cardinal was our 2nd choice but we felt the Montana 3400rl would be "the one" and the last we buy for a long time. The funny part of the deal was that my wife didn't like the sofa in the Cardinals -the seat back was at a funny/uncomfortable angle for her back. Why pay the bucks only to have to find another sofa right away? Congrats!
Bill and Bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote