Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2004, 01:40 AM   #21
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Thanks, Sparks, that does answer one important part of my question. I will stay tuned in to this thread and hope we both get the answer to that next big question. Since I am a "traveler" and not a full timer, that would determine whether I would be interested in satellite service. I would have to be able to set up for short term use at many different stops. There is no way I would be interested if I had to have a technician come out to set it up.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:29 AM   #22
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The short answer is that you are NOT authorized to move and setup a portable DirectWay system. That is unless you are a certified installer. There are companies that will sell you the equipment AND train you on how to install a system. They then will get you the forms from the FCC that you need. You must pass a test and then you are certified to "install" systems. That is if you want to be legal.

Many folks just get the systems and move then as they want. This works well as long as you do not cause interference with the satellites. It is still a "gray" area and one that must be looked at carefully. Good luck.

Steve:
There are separate charges for DirecTV and DirectWay internet service. If I were setting up a system I'd use one dish with all the equipment located on it. Otherwise you'd be setting up 2 systems each time you re-located.

There are some good threads on this stuff on the Escapees forum as well as the RVNet forum. I like the Escapees because I now have met some of those folks and actually seen some of their systems.

Of course if you have the $$$$$ just get the automated system from MotoSat! But that is still too rich for my blood.

Steve as much as you use the internet you really should consider one of the above systems. You'd be much happier and not have to jump thru nearly as many hoops as with some other services. You'd get 24/7 of very fast 2 way internet service. If you want you can also get the TV package too. With the internet you also can setup a wireless networking system. This will allow folks around you to connect to the internet using their Wi-Fi cards thru your DirectWay connection. But only if you allow it. Also available is the VoIP. This still has some problems but is getting better. So you could have a phone system setup over the internet as well!

I'm actually trying to talk myself into doing this. By the way.... I'll investigate this much more closely at Quartzite. There are about 300 or so Hams that show up there and many of them are now using such systems. Plus, of course, all the vendors that will be there!

See you later. HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 06:49 PM   #23
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
You can set up DirecWay yourself. Before we got ours we talked to a lot of RVers that were using them and they were traveling all over. The company did not tell us that we could not move it. The speed on DirecWay is great. Faster than my T1 lines at work. You still need a browser so you need msn or AOL or something. I use MSN because then I can use it when we are in hotels or at our stick home where I do not have hispeed. I'm at the stick house for the holidays and can now make MOC work great and get all the graphics. I am going to copy all the settings so when I get back to the Monty I can figure out what is wrong with my Sony computer in the Monty.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 08:57 PM   #24
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Parrothead,
Yes. You can set up DirectWay yourself. It's just not legal. Unless you are a certified installer. That does not stop a lot of folks from going ahead and doing it themselves. There seems to be little to no enforcement of this process. If you are doing this process yourself just be careful. It is a great process and I'd sure like to have a system. Gonna put it at the top of my list for old Santa.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with MSN and AOL as "browsers". These things are ISPs. You use your browser.... such as Internet Explorer or NetScape to connect to them. Sorry if I misunderstood what you are trying to say here.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:15 AM   #25
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Right, Hamrad, I was just about to respond in a similar fashion until I read your note. Then it came to me: both MSN and AOL use a home page which many people do not distinguish from the ISP function. What they see when they connect is that home page which they suppose is their "browser". I wrote above in haste (breakfast was ready downstairs!) I have never used AOL, but does it not provide it's own browser and email service? Still the basic point is that the ISP connects to the internet. Browser and Mail service are programs that provide navigation and communication. I have used NetScape for years as browser and mail service. Yet I often use Internet Explorer for certain pages (no need to got into the reasons for that), and sometimes use IncrediMail. I have recently been trying out "Firefox" as a browser. The point of all this? If you have an internet connection (ISP), you do not need another provider for browser or mail service. And being able to distinguish between these functions gives the user freedom and control.

And thanks for the input on the use of mobile DirectWay PC. That is something I would like to try, but I'd like to know from those who have experienced it whether it is worth it, and whether it is really practical to set up by a "traveling" RVer.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:11 AM   #26
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I'm sorry, I do know the difference. What I meant was DirecWay isn't the only cost you will have. You still have to have a service. DirectWay is probably not the answer for those that move every day. But it doesn't take anymore to set up than Direct TV. Same idea. DirecWay is heavier so it needs more stability. However, some of the folks we talked to had some pretty neat tripods and hook downs and did the set up in about 20 minutes.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 06:30 AM   #27
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks, Parrothead, that's the kind of experience I was hoping to hear from. One other question: can you take the modem and/or "dish" from home? Or to put it the other way around. Can you use the same setup while at home?