Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2004, 05:34 AM   #1
Montana_2543

M.O.C. #2543
need some help

my wife & i have been looking at mh as well as 5th wheels when we discovered the montana. we have a few questions that would help us with our buying decision.
1) will the one air unit work suffiently in florida( ft. myers) in the winter months?
2) will we need a generator if we plan to stay pretty much in one place as we camp?
3) we are also looking at a chev. 2500hd diesel along with a 29rl montana, along with a pull-rite hitch.

we have driven mh's, however, never pulled anything with a truck or car, will we experience sway on the highway? any advice or info will be tremendously helpfull.

thanks in advance for your help

Montana_2543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 05:56 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Walt, let me start with the question which I can best answer. We are towing a 29RL with a Chevrolet 2500 Duramax with Allison transmission. We are delighted with this combination. We tow regularly in Colorado (and Florida) and have power and control to spare. I don't see how you could go wrong with something like this. We often visit in Florida in the Spring months and have never had a moment's concern about the AC. We have always had Electric connection and do not have a generator, so I have no experience along those lines. If you need air conditioning, I would think no generator is likely to be adequate, but I cannot speak from experience. Good luck, and welcome.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 06:04 AM   #3
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
1. One air conditioner will work fine in Fort Myers in the winter. In the summer it would be iffy.

2. If you are staying in a place with hookups you won't need a generator.

3. Any 3/4 ton diesel will pull the 29 just fine. See my signature. I am prejudiced, but go 4 wheel drive. Some of the frame and driveline components are a bit heavier and you may not need it much but when you need it you will really need it. I use it in very heavy rain just for insurance. Just for reference, the 2955 RL is 32' long. When I am hooked and loaded for travel my combined weight is 18,600#

That trailer has approximately 4' more useful space than a 32' motorhome and it is significantly less prone to wind gusts and sway. There is a learning curve to hauling it but the curve is short. Take it to a large empty lot and practice.

Enjoy
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 08:11 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WPFENNING

my wife & i have been looking at mh as well as 5th wheels when we discovered the montana. we have a few questions that would help us with our buying decision.
1) will the one air unit work suffiently in florida( ft. myers) in the winter months?
2) will we need a generator if we plan to stay pretty much in one place as we camp?
3) we are also looking at a chev. 2500hd diesel along with a 29rl montana, along with a pull-rite hitch.
we have driven mh's, however, never pulled anything with a truck or car, will we experience sway on the highway? any advice or info will be tremendously helpfull.
thanks in advance for your help
OK Let me take a shot at this.
Question #1--YES
Question #2--NO
Question #3--YES

Now to qualify my answers.
#1--I only have 1 A/C and I am now in Largo Florida where the temps have been in the mid 80"s. The single A/C has kept the rig very comfortable. It will cool off as we get into Dec, Jan & Feb.
#2--No need for a generator unless you pick a site without electric.
#3--I am currently pulling a 2004 2955RL with a Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison using a PullRite Superglide hitch.

Heavy cross winds can be felt in a motorhome or a 5th wheel but sway is rarely a factor in a 5th wheel.
With a MH you have 2 MOTOR vehicle registrations. With the 5er just 1 MOTOR vehicle and a trailer registration which is usually cheaper.
With a MH you have 2 engines, 2 transmissions, 2 drive trains, etc that can breakdown.

Forget the MH get the 5er and you will not be sorry, I promise.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 04:13 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There is a lot of good advice in the above posts and I agree with all of them.

About the only folks I recall hearing from who have a need for a second AC are those who spend time in the heat of summer in the hottest places. That might include parts of Florida but probably not in winter. 80's and 90's are not a problem from what we've seen (mostly Kansas in July).

An option on Montanas is the "prep" for a second AC unit. This gets the framing and the electrical all in place but without the actual second AC unit. We got that, just so it would be easier to add a second AC should we find we need it. So far we've not seen the need. If we spent the summer in Phoenix or something like that then we'd probably want the second AC. If you order a new Montana you might consider getting the prep. If you buy one off the lot, look above the bed next to the vent. On ours there's a plate about the size of an electrical outlet plate that has a sticker that starts out with "Air Conditioning Circuit...". If it has that, it has the prep for a second AC.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 01:13 AM   #6
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we previously had a MH prior to our 5vr. it's always a tough decision which way to go.what helped us decide was how much traveling we were going to do. if you plan to put a large number of miles on the road a MH is really nice...it's nice to be able to walk around and get items while traveling.we found that our usage is now more stable and we stay in one place for the majority of our use. the worst thing in the world for a MH engine is lack of use. sitting for long periods isn't good for it. they are ment to be on the go.

our 5vr believe it or not travels better and rides nicer than our MH did.we get better MPG and lower maintenance. we actually enjoy the ride more in the 5vr. I do miss the MH when traveling with small children, but the few times it happens are not worth the change. each person has to weigh the options on there own. i belive we made the right decision FOR US and for now. in a few years we can re-evaluate.

as for the generator, we bought one...because we had always had one. used it 2 times this year...only while traveling. then set up on a seasonal campsite and never used it again. if your seasonal, I don't believe it is anything you will need.

one A/C has worked fine for us. even when we had the MH, we never used them both at the same time.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:25 AM   #7
Montana_648

M.O.C. #648
I stay in fl 8 mo ayear with one air & have a gen that sits in the back of my truck i never use. I with pull adodge 2500 diesel
Montana_648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 07:13 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Not to change the subject but Welcome fritz49 to the MOC.

I see in your profile that you are from Kissimmee, FL. Are you in Kissimmee or an RV park nearby? Last year we spent 9 weeks at Rainbow Chase RV Park just down the road from Kissimmee. We would be there again this winter but decided to stay closer to Lorraine's family.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote