Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Brutus is Ready - Finally

Well folks after a lot of hassle our new truck (Brutus) is ready to go. The Monday following our purchase we went to PepBoys to buy running boards. This was the only place locally that we could find. So they have to special order (young green clerk), 3-5 days. So we made an appointment to have them installed the following week. We rented a car and took the truck to PepBoys. Order didn't come in - out of stock. So they find one in their warehouse in Indiana. Another 3-5 days and it is cheaper. After some strong talk they reimburse us the money for the rental car. We call on Tuesday this week and the running boards have arrived. We have an appointment for Thursday to have the hitch and brake controller installed so we make the appointment for Wednesday so we can rent the car for 2 days. So Tuesday night I get this feeling about the whole thing and look up the item number on our receipt on the net and discover it is not the running boards we wanted but we decide to go ahead. I should explain, I can't get in the truck without running boards and they need to be flat ones because of my bad leg. So we rent the car and take the truck in. Several hours later they call and say they can't install because there are no brackets (that is why they were cheaper). So we went down and demanded our money back. They gave in pretty quick so they must be use to problems. We then found a truck accessory store in a nearby town and called them. Yep, they can have them in 24 hours and have all kinds. So we went down, found exactly what we wanted. Thursday Brutus got the hitch and brake controller and today the running boards were installed and look great. We got the tool box the first week with no problems. So we are happy campers tonight.
Happy trails........................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Wow
You do have a lot of patience. I woud have been through the roof. No one around me would have had a good day. One of my sons had some work done on his car at our local Pep Boys awhile back and they really screwed it up. They eventually got it worked out but what a hassle. Also due to a greenie with insufficient training. I suspect you will be happy with a better product the way this turned out.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Congratulations! ..... It's all worth it.... can't wait to see you with Brutus and your Montana at Lake Siskiyou in May '06!

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:33 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
After an ordeal many years ago at PepBoys I vowed never to shop there again. Other than a couple cleaning products that were on clearance sale I have kept that vow. And "green" isn't the word, I swear that your resume must say "Bloomin' idiot" in order to be qualified to work for them.

Parrothaed, that's one good lookin TV ya gots there but ya gotta get a pic with them new boards.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:11 AM   #5
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Ther must be something about running boards and places that sell and install them. Maybe all graduated from the same kindergarten or something. A few years ago I went through almost an identical situation with a truck accessory place in Oregon. Decided on the most expensive boards with polished aluminum and powder coated trim. Three attempts and two months later I finally had them installed. Then I found out the guy charged my Credit Card (that he needed to special order them) and I paid him with a check the day he installed them. Took awhile to get a refund on the double payment. A year later the powder coating started to corrode and turned out to be just cheap paint. I did not go back to confront the guy and eventually traded the truck. Live and learn
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:21 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Congrats. Hope you really enjoy all the upgrades/accessories.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:14 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Glad to hear you got your job done. Life can be a bowl of cherries.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:17 AM   #8
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I used to work on autos professionally before I switched to Heavy Equipment and Haul trucks.
#1 problem I had was stores like Pep Boys and customers who shop by price. I can type here all day the horror stories on what these shops do to your cars and trucks.
They hire Mechanics er I mean Technicians. Technician is a another word for "Straight out of school and dont know crap" and cant make it as a mechanic in a real shop. Folks I am here to tell you a fact about business. It is an a poster on my wall of my office" I can offer Quality, Price or Service pick any two" When a shop offers the best price Quality or Service suffers. I am a professional "Mechanic" and I charge a good price. Lets face it I know there are plenty of professionals in their fields here in the MOC. Do you use your skills cheaply? Or do you expect to make a good wage for your knowledge? My knowledge may be different than a Doctor, Engineer, Lawyer ect. But it takes a lot to be a professional Mechanic. A tool inventory of better than $30,000 and years of experiance. I do not even open my toolbox for the $8.00 to $12.00 the economy shops offer. I cannot afford to! So what kind of Mechanic or Technician do you want? Please go to reputable shops with a professional mechanics. I recommend talking to the people working on your car. Get a feel of what they know get them to show you a simular job they have done. Look at the workmanship. Are the brackets straight, is the product scratched and so on. On engine work it is real simple, a professional will finish without your engine compartment looking like he was ever there. Everything back in its place all brackets reinstalled all wireing retied. When it is all said and done you will come out with more money left in your pocket, without the headaches.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:38 AM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
What a pain in the patootie you had to endure, but all has ended well. I, too, need running boards to get in and out of the truck, but once I'm in I fit just fine! Brutus is one good lookin' guy. Hope to introduce him to "Big Betty Ford" one of these days.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:28 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Nice truck, Sue and Ed.

I don't have much experience with Pep Boys, but, ohhhhh could I tell you some horror stories about Walmart Tire and Lube Express! Including them reimbursing us for repairs to our truck.

Pam, can 'Baby' come too?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote