Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Mark B4
Established Member

M.O.C. #20140
Satellite ports

So, me being a newb, I thought if I plug my satellite cable into the port that says satellite it would work? Nope! This has gone on since I purchased it and has frustrated me to no end. Hired people to fix took it to a dealer Nada, nothing, no workie!!!
Finally spoke with a satellite guru from Oregon and come to find out Montana puts inline splitters in the coach that renders satellite signals worthless. I can only ask why???
Has anyone else run into this and how did the fix go?

Thank you!

Mark

Mark B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
yep

Yep, last camper was like that ,had to run new wires to both TV`s cause couldn`t find the splitters. More than one person has found them buried in the walls near the outlets but the wires were pulled to tight to get them out. New wire runs aren`t to difficult. From the convenience center jump into the under belly then up thought the floor inside a cabinet then just duct tape the wire to the back of the stiles on the cabinet then on to the TV, never know you were there.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Dish SAT.

Forgot to tell you, you will need one of these at each tv. One cable (old cable tv wire) to A then the new Sat. wire to B then the center to the TV, this will make it much easier to switch from park cable to Sat. and visa- versa. piece of cake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Deluxe-...-/302523101819
Old 02-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I was able to remove the splitter, directly link the line in to the line going to the TV and get it to work. A cable continuity tester really helps sorting it out.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:04 PM   #5
Mark B4
Established Member

M.O.C. #20140
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Yep, last camper was like that ,had to run new wires to both TV`s cause couldn`t find the splitters. More than one person has found them buried in the walls near the outlets but the wires were pulled to tight to get them out. New wire runs aren`t to difficult. From the convenience center jump into the under belly then up thought the floor inside a cabinet then just duct tape the wire to the back of the stiles on the cabinet then on to the TV, never know you were there.
Thank you for the info! I guess I really need the "why" they do it knowing (or maybe not knowing) it doesn't work. I'm one of those people that are annul about wires so, I will be splitter hunting and then barrel nutting the two together for a single feed. What a pain!
Old 02-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My guess is that they wired it wrong. Or labeled it wrong. Not something intentional. The coax from the sat antenna should go directly to ONE sat receiver. Not thru a splitter. There is no reason to have a splitter in that line. If you have a second sat receiver, there should be a separate coax cable from the antenna to the second external connection and thru an internal coax directly to that second receiver. The older TV wiring diagrams from Keystone show that arrangement. They do show splitters in the cable/antenna lines.

If you use the HDMI output from your receiver to your TV you do not need the A-B switch box noted above. You can connect the cable/antenna coax directly to the TV coax input. And an HDMI cable from the sat receiver to the TV.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Satellite ports

There is a recent thread called “cable splitters” in the “general discussions about our Montana’s” group. There are probably many more. It seems the tailgater will not work if there is a splitter anywhere along the way to the black box.

You did not mention which system you are using. I have dish with the tailgater with VIP211z black box. My plan is to find the splitter behind the docking station and test/isolate the sattelite coax to the living room tv - the hook my tailgater up to that cable and see if it works (by-passing the splitter). If that does not work I will stick with my current setup which is a direct line thru the window (including a flat coax piece thru the window). The next best idea I have heard is a guy drilled a hole in the slide out behind the tv and install a jack with a short coax direct to the black box - hook the tailgater to the outside jack. Seems to me this is the best solution - however...there is a plywood panel behind the tv to drill thru and drilling thru the exterior to miss the aluminum studs does not sound like something I want to attempt on our new unit. I suppose I could pay the dealer big bucks to do it - but thru the window is free and it works even though not ascetically pleasing with the coax hanging across the wall. My list of projects is growing.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
Mark B4
Established Member

M.O.C. #20140
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
My guess is that they wired it wrong. Or labeled it wrong. Not something intentional. The coax from the sat antenna should go directly to ONE sat receiver. Not thru a splitter. There is no reason to have a splitter in that line. If you have a second sat receiver, there should be a separate coax cable from the antenna to the second external connection and thru an internal coax directly to that second receiver. The older TV wiring diagrams from Keystone show that arrangement. They do show splitters in the cable/antenna lines.

If you use the HDMI output from your receiver to your TV you do not need the A-B switch box noted above. You can connect the cable/antenna coax directly to the TV coax input. And an HDMI cable from the sat receiver to the TV.
That is what I am investigating. I noticed that the sat lines are going into a splitter and then out to the tv's. I'm eliminating that and going direct with barrel connectors
Old 02-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #9
Mark B4
Established Member

M.O.C. #20140
System I am using is a tailgater pro and two wally's
Old 02-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
When you say “last camper was like that” do you mean your new 2018.5 3791RD?
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Here is an older diagram from 2012. You can see the splitters in the cable/antenna coax lines. But none in the sat lines. Don’t know about newer models.

http://www.montanaowners.com/attachm...8ef44d705f.jpg
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #12
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I (with - I think - PhilP's help) ran a new line thru the outside wall. If you take out the tv and look at the panneling behind the tv, you can kind of tap on it to find the studs, I think. Or try a stud finder. My worry was the electric wires running to the outlet on the wall. My unit has the computer desk beside the tv and there was an outlet on the side of the tv compartment for the computer stuff. I took off the cover and was able to shine a light into the area and see where things were. Then I drilled a hole with a door hole bit thru the inside wall. Then bought a (ugh!) 12 inch (I think) bit for something like $19!!! That way I could reach all the way thru the false wall and then the outside wall. Worked out very well tho.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I found my splitters over my water pump and just removed them and wired direct. Worked fine after that.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:30 AM   #14
Mark B4
Established Member

M.O.C. #20140
Thank you for all of the suggestions!!!
Old 02-21-2018, 05:55 AM   #15
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
it must be the one

Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
When you say “last camper was like that” do you mean your new 2018.5 3791RD?
LOL That would be the High Country I had last. Cabling was a mess with splitters in the wall that I never found. The SAT, boxes were older and didn`t like them, just ran new wires with the A-B switch.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
Mark B4
Established Member

M.O.C. #20140
Success!!! Found all the splitters and clear pictures on all of tv's. Thank you everyone!!!
Old 02-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #17
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Mark, Did you bypass the splitters for the sat hookups?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:51 PM   #18
Mark B4
Established Member

M.O.C. #20140
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Mark, Did you bypass the splitters for the sat hookups?
There was a main splitter in the belly. I bought a line finder and disconnected the coax and reconnected them and the tested. The other thing I found that all the wall plates had another splitter on those too. Three total.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #19
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B4 View Post
Thank you for the info! I guess I really need the "why" they do it knowing (or maybe not knowing) it doesn't work. I'm one of those people that are annul about wires so, I will be splitter hunting and then barrel nutting the two together for a single feed. What a pain!
Don’t bother...The coax that the factory uses is so cheap and barely shielded you’re far better off just pulling new coax. I did mine in about 2 hrs. 👍

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #20
Mark B4
Established Member

M.O.C. #20140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
Don’t bother...The coax that the factory uses is so cheap and barely shielded you’re far better off just pulling new coax. I did mine in about 2 hrs. 👍

Mark
I used the coax that came with the unit only because it was rg6. Seems everything is working to spec