Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
TV Antenna gears not meshing

When we turn the crank to raise or lower the tv antenna, we hear it start and then the antenna drops back down. We hear a "clicking" like it wants to mesh but just can't. Anyone know how a mechanically challenged person like me could check this to tighten or whatever it needs? I can get on the roof and pick the antenna up and it stops fully upright. Carol turns the crank and we hear it trying but not catching. I start pushing it back down and it goes down unimpeded. Any help would be greatly appreciated - Jim

boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
There is a plastic cam gear that allows the antenna to lift or lower. Sounds like this gear is stripped. I had to replace one, not too bad a job even for a mechanically challenged person.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks, Charlie. I'll try to find it.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
You should be able to pick up the repair kit at any RV store. I think it's a pretty common failure - I did the same.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:23 PM   #5
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Call Winegard at 800-788-4417, you have a 2 year warranty. You can also download the manual from their web site.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:56 AM   #6
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Like above, call Winegard, real good folks to work with. I found some info on going up on the roof and spraying silicome spray down the antenna shaft hole which will help lube the seals. I find that you must align the antenna with the arrows on the inside plates where the crank hande is befor you put the antenna down. It is very easy to forget about this if you turned the antenna to get better reception. You can put the antenna down, but it puts a lot of strain on the plastic worm gear, with possibility of stripping same.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:46 AM   #7
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks to all for your great information. We will contact Winegard and go from there. We see from their website that there is a Winegard dealer in Gettysburg. We will be there in a week. The forum comes through again.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thank you again all for your help. Talked with Georgia from Winegard and she also thought that it was the worm gear. She gave me the part number for the gear. Took the page from the on-line manual from Winegard and it tells me how to install it. Got the part from an RV dealership near the campground we are staying at. Now, as soon as the rain stops and the roof is not so slippery, this will be repaired. See, I took all of your suggestions and they did the trick.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:50 AM   #9
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks again for all the helpful advice. I finally got my 6 thumbs up on the roof today and replaced the worm gear as suggested and all is well now. The longer I am in the MOC the better I am becoming with the repairs and improvements. I couldn't buy the knowledge that I have received from here. - Jim