Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
SOB FIRE

Yesterday afternoon, we were returning home from Lake Havasu City, Arizona, along AZ 95 when the traffic came to a complete halt for over an hour. We saw several law enforcement vehicle go by, fire trucks, ambulance, ADOT trucks, and finally a van with the words MEDICAL EXAMINER on the back. Eventually, we moved up to the emergency scene and saw a large (40 ft?) diesel pusher with the entire front (driver and passenger area) burned out. There were 2 yellow tarps laid out on the ground next to the RV.

A sad way to begin the Memorial Day Weekend.

lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:59 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Yes indeed not a good start for the camping season. Certainly not something a fellow RV’er wants to see!
We have some friends that live in Tennessee who have a new to them Diesel Pusher. They are thrilled at having it and we will be camping with them in July. Looking forward to seeing them and their RV.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Fire is the thing that worries us most. We have four extinguishers in the rig and when we go to the rally this fall we will have MorRyde install one of the fire escape ladders for our bedroom window. Mac the fire guy sells and automatic extinguisher for the engine compartment of motor homes and he already had a picture of one that had saved a rig at his presentation at the Escapees boot camp in AZ. Doesn't sound like it would have helped them, but a couple of extinguishers in the front might have helped them get out. When you think what we pay for our rigs and how cheap the extinguisher provided is, it's worth a little extra money.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #4
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
This one, apparently, was begun by a blow-out that started the fire that spread to the internal propane tank. The fire department said that the tank was "torching" and burned a couple who were trying to rescue the occupants. The ONLY door to the M/H was right over the tire that blew and the fire. There was no other way out except for the emergency exits. Attempts to open these from the outside were unsuccessful.

The 3750FL with 2 access doors looks better to me all the time.

Oh, the newspaper report said that there were 3 fatalities.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
How sad. Brad you're right on the 3750FL with two doors - that was definitely one of the plusses we saw that made our decision for that floorplan that much easier.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The thing I check constantly is opening the "emergency egress" windows, but I know no one else in the rig knows about them, how the operate, nor do I remember to "go over them". In a panic I might even forget about them or try and put out a fire instead. If I do remember, the thing I hate about them is that they may save me from a fire initially but the fall will cripple me and then I'll succumb to a fire because I can't get away. This is not funny.

But in this case if only the front of that rig was on fire, there are emergency egress windows to the rear of any rig but in trying to save someone this now gets two or more people in trouble and this is what happens. It would be difficult to leave anyone behind and in this case and there might have been added difficulties of age, mobility, and removing seat belts. There's is just too much to think about in not being able to use safety equipment because of the human factor and other safety equipment.

Now we can only send prayers and sympathy for these people's friends and family!

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You do occasionally hear of a 5er or TT fire, but far more common it seems are MH fires. And the many pictures that show up on the internet tend to show that a fire started in the engine area while traveling.
When traveling on long highway trips, did you ever notice the number of burned spots the size of a car/truck on the shoulder of the highway? When you notice one you begin to notice others. Sorta grabs your attention.
From an auto safety web site;
Although vehicle fires have fallen in recent years, according to the National Fire Protection Association there were 184,500 passenger vehicle fires, including 285 deaths and 1,440 injuries in the United States in 2010. The fires caused about $1 billion in damage.
Those are some scary numbers.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Have you ever noticed the large amount of grease and oil on the engine of some vehicles? I try on a routine basis to spray the engine compartment with a good heavy duty de-greaser then hose it off. Won't necessary stop a fire, but will take away a ready fuel source. Have been following this practice for years.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Before I got my Montana I had a class A Damon Challenger with a Chevy 8.1 litre engine in a workhorse chassis. On a long uphill grade the dual engine cooling fans would scream and the engine cover between the two front seats got that hot you could not rest your foot on it. Add a small oil leak and you have a recipe for disaster. I definitely feel a lot more comfortable in my present setup.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Art, MorRyde now makes a fire escape for 5th wheels. When we go up to Goshen for the Rally that's one of the mods we're going to have done.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #11
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
One nice thing about pulling my Montana, my TV has four doors to escape from.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
AMEN!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Yeow, Keith, I remember the engine compartment "hump" in my old motorhome! It got pretty darned hot sometimes, too, and I wondered what it would take for that engine to ignite. I agree with Ron; if the driver's door in my TV gets stuck, I have three more to try!
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #14
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
I have seen several fires started by tires that were flat or way under inflated, these things throw flaming rubber every where. We put out a fire on a horse trailer (metal fender well) that had molten rubber burning in fender well and bottom floor boards. Doesn't take long, another good reason for TPMS and more then one properly maintained fire extinguisher.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #15
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
You all have several escape routes if you'll just think about it. Some people think I'm nuts, but I don't just keep hand guns handy for self defence. In an emergency, aiming upwards and shooting out a window will work every time. Been there, done that. Montana uses safety glass in their rigs and as most of you know, safety glass breaks into little peices that you can clean away with your hands once it has a hole in it. Making that initial hole is not easy though, but a bullet does a fine job.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote