Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
REPO
Established Member

M.O.C. #11385
2001 Montana Questions

Hello, first post here!

I am not sure how many have older models of the Montana, but we just purchased a 2001 3280. The question I have is that beside the stove there is a switch on the wall that the previous owner tells me that with the switch down, the electric water heater will not work, but he microwave does. With the switch up, the microwave indeed shuts off, and apparently the water heater will then work??!!

I have yet to put water into the trailer to test this theory, but the microwave does in fact power down with the switch in the "up" position.

Can someone please explain the proper operation of this to me? I would like to know how the water heater does work.

Thanks in advance!

REPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
There was power conservation in the older units. My 07 has a switch in that location. It provides power to either the microwave or the electric fire place. I believe our 02 did the same. I have not heard of it splitting to the microwave or water heater.
Hope this helps. Welcome come the forum.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
REPO
Established Member

M.O.C. #11385
Thanks for the response. Our unit does not have a fireplace, so at this point, I am unsure what it controls 100%. One half is the microwave for sure, but still unclear of the other half of the circuit.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Our 2005 was similar in that the switch alternated between the fireplace and the microwave. They were both on the same circuit which doesn't have the capacity to run both at the same time. In your case it switches between the 125v element in the water heater and the microwave. The water heater should still function on gas even with the switch off

Mike
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
For those folks who have the fireplace Keystone did install a on/off switch near the microwave. This allowed folks to turn off the fireplace if they wanted to run the micro. But no reason it could not be for the HWH. Let us know what it actually does.
Thanks, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
REPO
Established Member

M.O.C. #11385
Thanks to all. I will be de-winterizing it this weekend, and will add water to the system and test it. Is there any other switches to turn on? Or do I just flip the switch up, (turning off the microwave) and the water heater will then run on electricity?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
jim n deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7406
I had a 2001 3295RK and the switch was with the other switches in the rear of the kitchen and all it did was turned the water heater on from the inside. There was also a switch on the water heater outside. Jim
jim n deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Our '04 2980 has the switch on outside and I also turn the water heater breaker off when it is winterized then there is no chance of me hitting the water heater switch and burning out the element if I didn't put water in the water heater first! I don't remember mine having the two on one switch(water heater/micro) but I'm heading out to check out the Monte today and I'll check and see if mine is like yours! Maybe "trailer trash" will come along and jump in here also. He also has an '04 unit and might know! Let us know what comes out of your experimenting!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Repo, there should be a black rocker switch on the water heater unit itself, behind the panel on the outside of the rig. It may have a cotter pin holding it in the Off position. You'll need to turn that switch on. We leave that one on all the time and use the breaker inside the rig as the on/off switch. One thing to remember is do NOT turn that electric element on without water in the water heater. That will burn out that element in a few seconds. You can buy a replacement at a hardware store, if necessary.

As for the inside switch, we had a 2001 2880RL, which was the smaller version of your 3280RL. I do not recall such a switch in it. There is a switch in the inside that turns on the gas heater for the water heater. Maybe that's what they're referring to? But it would have nothing to do with the microwave. That switch should light up when turned on. Also there would be a pinhole type light next to the switch that tells you when it is trying to light the propane. I'm not sure exactly when that light goes on and off. You have to be smarter than it to figure that out and I am not there yet.

If all else fails and none of us are able to help you I would suggest you call Keystone Customer Service, give them your VIN number, and ask that question. With the age of your unit they may have to check with someone and get back to you.

Good luck. Don't hesitate with any questions on this or any other subject.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote