Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Surge Protector 3450 Shorted Out?

Last May we had a 50 amp Surge Protector model 34560 installed in our SOB. Last night the power went out and upon inspection the 50 amp breaker on the power pedestal was thrown. I turned it off and tried to tun it back on and it blew again. I ran a 50amp cord over to my neigbors site and it blew the breaker.
This RV unit is one month old. The surge protector is inside next to where the power cord comes into the RV.
Of course it's Easter weekend and no mobile RV dealer in Houston.
My question is two fold. Replace the Surge Protector? No one on the electrical line had problems but me.
Don't they make a Surge Protector with a key that bypasses the surge protector if there is a problem?
This couldn't have happen at a much worse time. My wife has lung cancer surgery Wendesday and we need the RV to be cool for her and the puppy.
Hugh

HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Hugh, I know this won't help much, but it sounds like the surge protector is doing it's job. The only way around is to bypass the surge protector, since it appears it is hardwired in that will be difficult. Obviously there are benefits to a portable unit. If I was to put one inside the camper it would be with male and female plugs so it can be removed easily. I think once they blow they are gone forever. Not heard of a resetable surge protector..... Good luck pardner...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Turn off all loads (Breakers) in the Monte, then if it stays on (the surge protector) turn on one breaker at a time. Start with the smallest first. Leave the A/C off when you do this. If all stay on, turn on the A/C unit, see if that blows the breaker. email me with any questions; hvac.repairs@yahoo.com
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I don't know what we would do without the Ozz!!! I turned off all inside breakers and connected the 50 amp cord and then turned on the power pedestal 50 amp breaker which immediately popped. So I guess I'll be buying another surge protector and see if I can have someone install it. I would be just had knee surgery.
Thanks again Ozz for offering such valuable information to the forum.
Hugh
Old 04-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I am no expert, but it could also be a bad cable or connection where it attaches to the surge protector, couldn't it? Maybe it will be something simple. (We hope)
Good luck.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You are welcome Hugh, I just wish I was closer, I would do it for you. Good luck to the Mrs.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Turn off all loads (Breakers) in the Monte, then if it stays on (the surge protector) turn on one breaker at a time. Start with the smallest first. Leave the A/C off when you do this. If all stay on, turn on the A/C unit, see if that blows the breaker. email me with any questions; hvac.repairs@yahoo.com
Hugh,

Ozz has the right approach. Start with no loads and see if it blows. Then turn them on one at time. This is same approch I use fixing computers.

Also EMS-HW50C Electrical Management System surge protector does have a by-pass mode, and it will still provide surge protection, but not all the other features built into the unit.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
It blew with no load. So I'm having it taken off. Can you believe I've called all around Houston and couldn't find a 50 amp hard wire surge protector. I will probable be buying a protable so if this happens again I can just unhook it.
Thanks again for the replies....I expected as much from the forum. The forum has always been helpful.
Ozz thanks for the offer. Someday we'll cross paths and it will be my honor to meet such a helpful person.
Hugh
Old 04-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Well it's fixed. Things so simple can cause so many complex problems. One white wire on the load side had gotten hot and evidently was not tight and melted some insulation and came out.
I had the surge protector bypassed because for the next month I can't take any chances of the a/c going out. So it's wired bypassing the surge protector.
Hugh
Old 04-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
You do understand that with the surge protector bypassed, you are leaving yourself vulnerable to a surge hit that can cost thousands of dollars in repairs not to mention the repair time involved. If all connections are tight, you shouldn't have any problems with the protector.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Jim and Vickie, Understood. But I can't know 100% that the surge protector is working as it should. I'll be leaving tomorrow and on and off for the next week with temps in the 80's and the family pet will be inside. My wife will be in ICU and I'll be at hospital many hours a day. I'll chance the electrical surge before a questional piece of electronics.
Hugh
Old 04-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Well mine failed tonight. Yesterday I had power failure where it shut down and showed line 1 no power. I swapped to 30 amp and it worked fine. Today Dave and I tried his 50 amp power cord and it seemed to work so I replaced the plug on mine. This evening we lost power again. The surge guard showed power on both lines but would not pass it through. Only a one year warranty.

Dave is purchasing a Progressive Industries EMS 50amp Hardwired with Remote Display - EMS-HW50C EMS-HW50C which has a three year waranty and the remote display.

I will order one as soon as I get home.

I had to remove the surge guard and am running "un-protected now".
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Sorry John, I hope it's not catching!
Hugh
Old 04-06-2010, 04:42 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Keep the faith Hugh.. We'll be saying extra prayers for you and Pat. It is about time for things to start looking up for you two.

Hugs,
Helen and Bill
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote