Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Our BIG SKY PDI--MY HEAD HURTS !!!!

Phew - what a long long day........We spent 6+ hours on our PDI today examining every nook and cranny. Besides a very few small items, everything appears to be in great shape. Our dealer was wonderful. We'll provide more details when we recover - we are both very very tired. We will pick it up on Monday morning and drive to Bullrun Regional Park nearby and spend a couple of days just enjoying it (and checking it out further - LOL)

Jo-Anna

DAVID'S EDIT--OK, I've recovered enough to comment on our PDI.

Not only did we spend more than 6 hours at our PDI--WE DIDN'T FINISH GOING THRU OUR PDI CHECKLIST!!!!! LOL!!!!

Actually, before anyone starts tossing out that four letter "A" word in my direction, let me say some things in my defense!! To begin with, the first two hours were taken up by the dealer's walk thru. Of course, I think it lasted twice as long as they normally take because of all the questions I asked, but you can't really count the entire two hours against me. LOL!!

Second, you can't really count the time taken up by my trying to stop the bleeding and clean up the mess. The FIRST time I banged my head hard into the corner of the bedroom slide, it made quite a mess, and it took me some time to clean myself up afterwards--fortunately, I was wearing a red ball cap and a red shirt, so the blood didn't stain things too much. However, while there wasn't as much blood the SECOND time I bashed my head into the corner of the bedroom slide, it took longer for the bleeding to stop, and I wasn't all that effective trying to go thru my PDI checklist while pressing a paper towel to my head for 30 minutes. Good thing I have such a hard head!!!!!

But given that I was getting a little spacy by that point in time, I really appreciated having my detailed, 20 page PDI checklist with me--I didn't have to try to remember what else I was supposed to look for, I just had to work my way thru what was on the checklist. That gave me a good deal of peace of mind, especially since we were definitely getting tired as we approached the service department's five o'clock closing time. I have no regrets over having my detailed checklist.

The checklist I used is basically the checklist posted on Glenn's related links page, to which I added some very helpful suggestions from Richfaa and some other points I added based on problems others have reported plus some areas I wanted to explore because, as a newbie, I don't have the fifth wheel experience that others have. I also added a few items specific to the Big Sky (re the power awnings and power rear stabilizers), then shifted the organization of the checklist around somewhat to make it easier for me to deal with. Jo-Anna then put in some autonumbering and pagination.

Not sure how our maiden trip next week is going to work out. I see from this morning's weather report that we're due to get the bad weather that's currently working it way eastward--cold, windy and rainy. Oh well, we'll have a chance to see if we have any leaky areas in the rig. LOL!!!

David

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
That's great news. Hope you have great weather for your first outing. This spring has been unpredictable. Sue C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Wow! I can't imagine taking that long. I am sure you guys must have been on top, under, and in the compartments crawling around. That is great. Keep us posted.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Sounds like you had all your DUCKS IN A ROW. Good for you.

Now just enjoy
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Wow, 6 hours!!! Bet the dealership was happy to see your tail lights
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I'm glad your PDI went so well. Let us know how that maiden camping trip goes.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Glad to hear all is well and the shop is taking care of the "little things". Looking forward to hearing all about your shakedown trip...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Glad to hear all went well with the PDI. Look forward to seeing you and the Big Sky at the NE Rally.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Hey David and Jo-Anna, we are glad to hear that all went well with your PDI. Get that baby set up and enjoy.

I was told today that ours will be delivered this Saturday so we plan on doing our PDI next Tuesday (I hope).

Can you send me a copy of your PDI instructions? Would like to compare it to the one that I have. I don't want to miss any thing.

Thanks and enjoy the new rig...
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:29 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sorry for laughing so hard (brought back memories of me doing the same thing - no blood though). Are you sure your PDI list wasn't just 10 pages and you were seeing double?? Glad everything went well and agree with others that the only thing to do now is to enjoy it!!!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:57 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
glad to hear all went well..The PDI that is..Now you know why I got me a hard hat after about 5 or 6 knots upon the head..Don't feel bad our PDI took two days and we did not have to apply self first aid.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:09 AM   #12
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Glad to hear the PDI went well and hope your head heals up quickly. Might be a good time to get the dealer to throw in a couple of those corner foam bumpers things they put on the slide outs to prevent things like that from happening. I feel your pain though, as I have a few knots on my head from the same thing.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:25 AM   #13
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Glad everything went good except for the head banging. I think all of us has done that a few time. Hope your up coming trip goes good.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:06 AM   #14
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Oh No! I hope your head is much better! Well at least your PDI went good and that is what really counts. Sure hope you are able to get out and camp this weekend. I think we all have to start singing "Rain Rain(Snow, Snow)Go Away, We All Want To Get Out And Camp"
Good Luck with your shakedown.
Bob and Kathy
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #15
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Boy I feel your pain.... I cold cocked myself on the hitch one day. No one was around just woke up laying on the ground. As far as the slide I have make it a point to go around the BR slide even if the trip is shorter to go under it. Either that or never stand up straight when around it. Looks kind of funny to everyone but saves the old noggin.

Look forward to hearing how your first outing went.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:30 AM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,
Some folks break champagne bottles to celebrate ones new ship(RV), others use their head... I hope you are feeling much better today and don't worry, I have also cracked my head a time or two against that darn bedroom slide. Happy camping!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #17
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I sure hope you did not get any blood on the new Big Sky...now that would be serious! Re those sharp corners...I get one of those long pieces of dark foam that are designed for pipe insulation and are split all the way down the middle, cut off two 4" pieces and put them on the extended corners of the bedroom slide.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #18
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Champagne? Champagne? For something as important as the purchase of my first RV (if you don't count the VW camper I bought 34 years ago to travel around Eurpoe), champagne just doesn't seem significant enough to celebrate the occasion. No, this occasion calls for more---it calls for BLOOD!!!!! And boy did I contribute yesterday. LOL!!!!

I had been planning to get one of those foam noodles to put along the entire bottom edge of the bedroom slide, not just the corners--I just didn't think it necessary or appropriate to bring it to the PDI--heck, it wasn't our rig yet since we hadn't given them the check. BIG MISTAKE!!! I still can't believe I hit my head twice--once I could see, but twice??? Jo-Anna was inside the rig when the second hit occurred. She said she could feel the whole rig shake, followed by my swearing, so she knew what had happened. Didn't realize my head was hard enough to make a 16,000# rig shake. WOW!!!!!

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #19
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Glad to hear you make light of it afterwords. Maybe next Rally we will have a contest for who has the most scars on the top of there head from slide outs. HA HA
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fordzilla

Glad to hear you make light of it afterwords. Maybe next Rally we will have a contest for who has the most scars on the top of there head from slide outs. HA HA
No fair. Mine are covered by hair! But, then, that also provides a bit of cushion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote