Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
mikeandcarol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6655
Security

I have a 2007 Montana 2955RL and I'm fairly new to RVing. At my stick house I have a peep hole in the front door to see anyone knocking at my door befor I have to open it. In the 5er I don't have that option. You can't just pop a peep hole in the door because the screen is in the way. Is there anyway you can "grind" or somhow make a small silver dollar size patch in the door window so I can see out??? If the patch was at chest high inside the door the patch would be too high for the visitor to see in. Anyone with a suggestion or am I just too paranoid?

mikeandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Please don't take offense, but I usually just look out the window. If you don't know who it is, crack the window open and ask them. In all my years of camping, scared is something I've never been in my rig - except when the winds come...
Happy Camping!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I let my 125 lb Cataloula answer the door. Never had a problem.

For those not familiar with a catahoula it's a big dog with attitude.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Besides the option of using the window right next to the door on a 2955, you could change out the glass in the door. We have a "leaded glass" window with some clear panels that allows us to see who is at the door.

Carl

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
mikeandcarol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6655
It's not that easy to see a visitor by looking out the window naxt to the door. You have to climb over the chair and then it's difficult to see especially if the visitor in close to the door. The window over the sink is also difficult to see a visitor if they are standing close to the door. I don't see this as a really big deal but the wife, if she is alone, would be aprehensive if someone came up to the door late at night. Of course they would have to get by Mr. Ruger.
mikeandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Not that this answers your question, but we have been rving and camping for a good number of years, since 1972, so you figure it out. In all that time, there have only been a couple of times when we felt uncomfy, or nervous. One time was in a state park during hunting season and some idiot was shooting very close to the units, in pitch dark. I don't believe it was a real hunter, eh??

Other time was in a campground behind a motel. It was ill kept, had the worst case of fire ants I have ever seen, there were storm warnings, and nasty weather and we could not shut the door cause we had just busted the door handle on the entrance door.

That said, if you or wife are nervous, DON'T OPEN THE DOOR! Keep the cell phone and whatever other things make you feel safe nearby, don't hesitate to call the police, keep the other things within the law.

When all else fails, there is always a nice tall cool one to take the edge off, eh??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
For the most part 99.9% of the people you meet while camping are going to be nice friendly folk. The other .1% are going to be idiots. So take a deep breath, ask who it is and if your uncomfortable then tell them to move over where you can see their face in a window. Any decent person would understand and comply. If they don't then do you really want them visiting anyway? As a backup always keep your friend "Mr. Firearm" close by when answering for a stranger. It has worked for me so far.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote