Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Marathon Tires

Well, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. We've all been posting about Mission tires. Now we can add Marathon tires to the discussion. On the way home from the Mid-Atlantic Rally we had a blowout on the drivers rear tire. The pressure monitor was showing 80 pounds, there was no debris in the road and the tire exploded. The tread completly separated from the tire and is now wound tightly around the axle. We got the spare on and got home dragging the tire tread. Now I start the process of getting the trailer fixed and dealing with Tredit and Keystone to get rid of these Chinese bombs. I'll post pictures when I get a chance to assess the damage.

NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Jim, sorry to hear about your misfortune!!! There has been lots posted on the Chinese made Marathons in other forums. I've read that Goodyear moved production of them back to the US last year because of the number of problems they had with them, so you shouldn't have any trouble proving your claim. Good luck!!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:05 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Jim, what kind of mileage did you have on these Marathons. I doubt there would be much as I see and remember you getting that 2009 (Beauty). Keep us posted of your results.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:17 AM   #4
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Jim,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune! As you know I replaced my brand new Marathons on my new 2011 3150RL last month with the Made in the USA Goodyear G614 rated at 14 ply, approx 3750lbs at 110psi. Did this for peace of mind to minimize the probability of what happened to you. My newer style Tredit T04 AL wheels are rated for 110psi, but GY had to special order hp steel valve stems that have double lock nuts on the under side ( Enkie valve # 24117 in Tredit catalog) due to the small diameter hole on the topside that would not permit the standard hp #414s valve stem nut to fit. I paid $275 mounted at local GY Wingfoot shop; and later had them balanced at a different shop for $85 ( would suggest you get them balanced, but my Wingfoot dealer said they normally don't balance trailer tires). After consultation here and at Lonnie B's recommendation I decided to get them balanced.They did take weights!
My axels are 6K so I have reserve capacity with the G614s. I could have gotten by with E rated, 10 ply, 3042lbs @80psi tires such as the excellent Michilin XPS Ribs, Bridgestone Duravis 250, BF Goodrich Comm TA, or Firestone Transforce HT.
If you have 7K axles the Goodyear G614 is the only G rated Made in the USA tire I kmow of that will keep you within spec.
I had to trim a little off the plastic wheel well skirt on the passenger side for better clearance; the driver's side wheel well is on the slideout and had adequate clearance as is.
Hope this info helps. I suggest we have a Tire Discussion at the Fall Rally in Goshen to cover all this info.
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:03 AM   #5
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Sorry for your misfortune. I had Marathons on mine, had one delaminate and another show a funny wear pattern. I replaced them all with BFG commercial TA's. Just got back from putting 6,ooo miles on them and they appear to be a really good tire. No wear shown yet and they run cooler than the Marathons did.
I just had a wheel off and noticed my cast factory supplied AL wheels were made in China!!! Anyone had issues with those?
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Sorry about that Jim. Did see pix of you under the rig on I-40...brave soul you are.

Good luck on repairs, etc. Glad you and Vicki are both safe. Maybe you could keep the good ones for the Elephant sale!!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but happy that you were not injured...good luck in getting the matter settled.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
I pulled all the tires off the rig today. Besides the one that exploded, one on the other side of the trailer was rounded. The middle of the tread was raised and the tire is 1 3/8" taller than the other one on that side so the cords are damaged on that tire also. It was just a matter of time before that one let go. All five Marathons will NOT be going back on the Monty. I called Goodyear and they are sending me some paperwork to fill out. So far, I think they expect to replace only the damaged tires. Now the fun begins.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
glad you didnt have too much damage from the blow out Jim. Hearing this about these great Trailer tires desined for trailers just sets my convections even more, I'll stick with my USA Made tires "LT" and just keep watching the ----AH SOOO----- Tires.
Ah Sooo tired of my Tires blowing up.

So What are you looking at for a replacement? and didn't the TPMS show a temp increece before they blew.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
HA! We were at the Montana dealer in Rockport the other day, checking on the 3750FL. I made a comment about the Chinese may-pops, and the salesman says, "oh, Keystone is putting Good Years on all the Montana line now. I look at the tires and read to him, "made in China". He didn't know what the heck to say. Nuff said.

Sorry about the misfortune Jim, we've had it happen too, and it ain't fun.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Sorry to hear of you tire issues....been there too - last year with 2 blowouts. Have the G614's on now and so far so good!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Don,
The monitor showed no change in pressure or temp before the tire blew. The tires have about 8000 miles on them. The two tires standing together were on the other side (passenger side). 80lbs of pressure in each tire. Notice the height difference. Here is the link to the pics.
http://s572.photobucket.com/albums/s...athon%20tires/
Old 08-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Jim that looked like a real mess, so when the tire blew and the monitor screamed, then you pulled over which could not have been to long, all that happened with the cap going around the axel and locking it up.
I dont under stand the picture of the two differant size tires .... are they supose to be the same tire and manufacture size? if they are, I will help you scream at the manufacture if needed.
So just how did you remove the tire from the axel?? that looks like a big rubberband streched and ready to brake and mess you up.
I would be boiling mad too.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:45 AM   #14
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Don,
Those are the same size tire. They are both Marathons. The cord on the one tire is broken. I'm lucky that I didn't have a second failure. I pulled and pried the blown tire tread until it came unwrapped. It took some effort.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 AM   #15
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Jim - how ironic that I got on here to do a search for tires and found your post at the top. We came back from the beach a couple of weeks ago. As I was putting the tire covers on I noticed a softball size bubble on the inside of the right rear tire. It has since "popped" just sitting in my driveway.

Sorry about your misfortune. Any rig damage?

I want to replace all 4 before one of them lets go on the highway and damages my rig. They only had 6K on them. Would you mind sharing the number and who you talked to at Goodyear? I was about to just suck it up and go buy 4 new tires, but if you are having luck dealing with GY, I may try that first.

Thanks,

Butch
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:29 AM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

Don,
Those are the same size tire. They are both Marathons. The cord on the one tire is broken. I'm lucky that I didn't have a second failure. I pulled and pried the blown tire tread until it came unwrapped. It took some effort.
OK I understand now Jim.
I glad that nobody was hurt other than your wallet and time.
GY should give you a complete set of tires and throw in the spare for a Good faith gesture. Ha like that will happen.
As for damages is GY going to pay for that or are you going to let your insurance co take the fall instead of GY, in my way of thinking it should be GY paying for every damaged RV out there caused by there defective tires, maybe then they will make a product that can be relyed on.

Don

PS not trying to change the subject on insurance and about road hazards I'll post it for all to read it might be helpfull to some.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:33 AM   #17
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Jim,
I would talk to Goodyear, they have been good about dealing with this type of problem in the past.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #18
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Jim,

Glad you and Vicki are safe....sorry to hear of your misfortune...I guess we better think again about changing the tires on our Monty as well...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Jim,
I hope dealing with GY does not get to be a long drawn out affair. This is becoming another Mission story. Good luck.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:50 AM   #20
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I found this on another web site thought it was something that could be checked into.

__________________________________________________ __

Just got off the phone with Goodyear customer relations dept.
Goodyear Marathon ST (trailer tires) are moving again. Will not be manufactured in the US - moving back to China for these tires..

Maxxis are made in Thailand.

Carlisle (haven't been able to find out)

Now what?