Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2023, 08:28 AM   #1
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Help with route: Fargo, ND to Niagra Falls

2024 Planning a fall trip that includes a route from Fargo to Niagra Falls. After Niagra, will be trying to time arrival a week or so later to N NY for leaf peeping and wandering on to ME. Entire trip will be CO, through WY & Dakots before turning east. After leaf peeping headed back (no hurry) through midwest trying to stay south of any cold/snow. Please help with routes or interesting places to visit. As a westerner we know very little about these routes or part of the country.

182flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 12:57 PM   #2
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
This sounds like an awesome trip. We have done a lot of driving in the last five years. I have not come out of Fargo headed East. It it would appear that 94 East down to 90 East would be your best option. I have traveled 90 East around Chicago, over to Toledo, through Cleveland and over to Buffalo. There is A LOT to see and enjoy. Cedar Pont is nice. Cleveland has the Rock and Roll hall of fame. You will be running along Lake Erie which is beautiful. We have stayed in Ashtabula. 90 will take you the whole way into Niagra. Take time to cross the bridge from Niagra Falls into Canada. There is more to see there than on the US side.

I90 will continue over to Albany and beyond. You could run it all the way over to I95 that would then take you to Maine. October Weather can be tricky. Growing up in the Northeast we have traveled for the leaf watch. Snow is not out of the question. Especially if you plan to head up to Maine after Niagra Falls
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 03:16 PM   #3
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Good info, thanks. Used to snow coming from CO; but, our usual trips since retired keep us out of the snow. So, after leaf peeping may have to head south until the locals don't know what a snow shovel is.(:
Old 11-05-2023, 07:53 PM   #4
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
I'd do almost anything to avoid I90 right through the heart of that God awful place.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 08:24 AM   #5
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
As general INFO, I'd drive from Fargo across the UP. Lots of sites to see. Also watch campgrounds in the NE that time of year as they start shutting down early. Up State NY is great and make sure to do the 1000 island boat tour.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 12:01 PM   #6
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
All great info; adding to file so we can seriously start planning next month.
Old 11-12-2023, 04:21 PM   #7
DABOO77
Established Member

M.O.C. #32858
Hay there, grew up in Wahpeton/ Breckenridge area, just south of Fargo. Small world eh ? I'd recommend going over to Duluth and running the UP in Wisconsin and Michigan. Drop south on I75 to Flint then head east from there. Stay away from Minneapolis and Chicago. Don't be alarmed at the size of the Toronto metro area, they are the most courteous drivers anywhere, put on your signal and they slow down to let ya change lanes. I did that multiple times about 10 years ago pulling a 40 footer. If memory serves me correctly there is a campground about 1 mile from the falls on The Canadian side that was a nice place. Just remember your passport and documents to get back to the states.
DABOO77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 07:21 PM   #8
ToolMan
Established Member

M.O.C. #23462
We traveled west from the UP of Michigan on Hwy2 across Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota a few years ago. Not interstate but good two lane road. I know 2 goes across northern Ohio but have never been into Pennsylvania or New York on it. Maybe a more scenic route.
ToolMan is offline   Reply With Quote