Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Translucent Propane Tank

This looks worthwhile but not until they have it available in our 30lb size, or larger. But I sure like the idea!

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2010/10/li...RV+Business%29

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I want two do you have any idea when they will be available in the 30# size?
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steve,
I've been following this development for a couple of years. It really looks doubtful that they will ever offer a 30# tank but I sure would like to have one! They come in about 3 different colors too if I remember correctly. But the 20 pound things are just too small.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wierd how they stopped at 10#, 20# and 25#. I don't remember that the steel tanks came in 25# but with so many applications for propane tanks maybe there was one. 30# would be nice. They are definitely pricier but why not. Now if someone's willing to take a chance to determine durability and reliability. In over 30 years of propane tanks I have only have one 30# that failed on me and could not be refilled (replaced on warranty) I have had several of the tinier 1lb bottles fail on me because of bad valve (wouldn't shut off) and I would imagine with this bottle that wouldn't change.

Great idea! No more strips or those big gauges!

I wonder how many people will admit to NOT knowing that the propane tank carried liquid. I remember 3rd year of college I had an internship job at my first Computer Engineering firm and I met a woman who scared herself when "stinky pink lemonade" came out of her tank when she overfilled it (the autoshutoff didn't work). When I explained that was gasoline, she looked at me in great surprise and said with all seriousness, "No way, gasoline is a gas, not a liquid!" I was very nice about it and explained how it gets vaporized during the combustion process, but the other gents around me laughed way too hard at her expense.

When anyone hears 30# tanks are avaiable, post loudly!!!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
One of the MOC'rs that was at the Fall Rally had a source to get the 20# tanks and several of those at the Rally took advantage and bought the tank for $60 or so! Dave(Exnavydiver) bought one and he had it out last Sunday when we were down in KC. He had a full lite cylinder sitting next to his empty steel cylinder and the empty one was heavier than the full one! I should havae got one at the Rally and I'm kicking myself now that I didn't, especially at that price! Maybe Dave will jump in on this thread and let you all know about them!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My propane source back in central Texas said he would refuse to refill them citing liability issues. I really don't know what the issue was.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Great idea but I'm not sure that even if they did make a 30 pound that it would fit. The tanks I have now don't have a lot of spare room, and these look like they would take up a lot more space. Maybe that's why they stopped at 25?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:26 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Tom-- The lite cylinders are exactly the same size as the metal ones. At least the one that Exnavydiver (Dave) has and it's a 20# cylinder. I don't know about the size of a 25# bottle.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Tom, Ron is right, they are exactly the same dimensions. The jug that I got is of a different manufacturer than the one Steve posted. This company makes a 40 pounder also for fork lifts. I have had a 40 LB bottle in this rig and it did in fact fit just fine but only on the curb side because of the regulator location on the street side. If I could get a decent price on the 40s I would jump on them. As for the idjit that wouldn't fill these tanks that is his problem, they have passed all DOT tests and requirements and there are other suppliers of propane that are glad to fill them. Now all I have to do is drag the old steel 20 pounder all the way back to Wisconsin.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You can lead a horse to water, but if it doesn't want to refill a propane bottle, then shoot it and get a new horse. "idjit".... well put.

Dave, do you recall the manufacturer? If they have a 40#, then why wouldn't they have a 30#? I don't get it. Do these vendors not realize the potential of RV market? We don't all use just 20#. I just don't want to carry the weight of a 40#. I try and save my muscles for the 50# "portable generators". You know how they make anything portable? Put a handle on it.

The bad news is I have two 30# bottles in the rig and about 6 to 8 20# used for BBQ, outdoor heaters and a spares for all of these devices. That's a lot to repurchase. But I only have 3 gauges and for what I've paid for the gauges I could almost buy one new bottle.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
After further research I found out that my tank is made by Ragasco and their tanks come in the following sizes 11 lb, 16 lb, 22 lb, and 31 lb. As a rule of thumb the tank capacities are 20# 4 gallon, 30# 7 gallon, 40# 10 gallon, 60# 15 gallon, 100# 25 gallon. Here is a link to the Ragasco site which also has dimension information. I am trying to get purchasing info but am fighting T-storms at the moment. I will post that info as I get it... Dave P.S. here are the specs on all four tanks Specs as you can see all 4 are the same diameter and the 31 lb will fit in the same space out 30 lb tanks fit.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
It would seem to me that if the 31# would fit like Dave says, the 25# that Steve's site says would also fit with no problem. The only thing it would not last as long. If the 20# has 4 gallons and the 30# has 7 gallons, the 25# unit would hold about 5 1/2 gallons or so. I'd even go with the 25 if need be!
Old 10-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I just received a reply from the North American rep for Ragasco, production of the 31# composite tanks will start in Dec. He will send me a list of distributors where we can get these tanks sometime in December. As soon as I get the list I will post it here.. Dave
Old 10-23-2010, 11:59 PM   #14
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I brought the tanks to Goshen and can still provide them if you are in or come through Northern Indiana. I can also bring a few to Texas in about 5 weeks, but only ones that are prepaid and the price is still $60.00. I will also post it if and when 30 lbs ones are avaiable, but I get the first two!!
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:28 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Dave, thanks for the link - I see now that the outside layer isn't as thick as I thought it was. I wonder if we could do a group buy on these? They sure would take the guess work out of knowing the propane level.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:52 AM   #16
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I am in on a group buy when the 31# are available.

Steve
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:52 AM   #17
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I am watching this topic.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #18
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I found this on the SandWizards site. It is everything you want to know about the new propane cylinders. I thought I posted this yesterday but today it isn't here so here it is again.

History of Lite Cylinder
Lite Cylinder Company was formed in 2002 by a few veterans of the steel cylinder industry. Being well versed in the Propane industry we came across a new type of composite cylinder made in Sweden. After thorough consideration we purchased the manufacturing and marketing rights from Composite Scandinavia for North American and other Select countries.
European Invention
Composite propane cylinders were first developed in Sweden in the early 1990s. Kurt Berglund invented the two-piece see-through cylinder. In 1995, Composite Scandinavia introduced composite cylinder for propane in to the Swedish markets. Today Composite Scandinavia manufactures over 200,000 cylinders per year.
We operate the only U.S. Location
We submitted an application to the Department of Transportation (DOT) for a special permit to manufacture and market composite cylinders here on the U.S. Two years in the making, the special permit was granted in late 2004. We began by importing a few thousand cylinders from Sweden in 2004 and 2005 to test the market for composite cylinders.
The need and appreciation for the new see-through, lighter propane cylinders grew, and we now have a new 15,000 sq. ft. facility manufacturing since early 2006. Most of the special equipment needed was manufactured right here in the Nashville, TN area.
Going strong and growing
Today, Lite Cylinder manufactures four sizes of composite cylinders. They are the 10lb, 20lb, 25lb cylinders as well as a 33lb forklift cylinder. In our short history, Lite Cylinder has already manufactured almost 40,000 cylinders and shipped them within the US and to Canada, and many other countries. The manufacturing plant operates on a 2-shift basis and employs 10 people. The company is approved by the Department of Transportation, Transport Canada and two European standards.

General
Are cylinders approved in most states?
Yes, cylinders are approved for use in every U.S. state.
What is an approval?
Lite Cylinders are approved for the manufacturing, marking, sales and use for Liquid Propane Gas containers by the Department of Transportation in the USA, .
Will a Lite Cylinder tank fit my grill?
Yes. Lite Cylinder tanks are designed to fit most standard gas grills.
Do Lite Cylinders rust or corrode?
No. The composite materials that make up both the cylinder and the outer casing are both non-corrosive materials.
Will the cylinder casing fade after a period of time in the sun?
Possibly. Though, Lite Cylinders do have UV protection and are made of polypropylene copolymer designed to resist color fading.
Will the cylinder withstand cold and hot outside temperatures?
Yes. Lite Cylinders are designed to withstand a full range of outdoor temperatures from -40 degrees F to 140 degrees F.
Does a cylinder have to be recertified and if so how often?
Re-certification is every 5 years for the US. This consists of visual inspection of the outer casing and pressure testing of the cylinder. Other countries may have differing times. Check with us for information on re-certification for markets outside the US.
What is the life of the cylinder?
The DOT and Transport Canada rate the cylinders for a life of 15 Years.
Can Lite Cylinders be used horizontally?
No. Lite Cylinders are designed for vertical use only.
Technical
What are Lite Cylinders made of?
Plastic resin (Derakane 8090) by Ashland Chemical; E-Glass with a Tensil strength of 200,000#, manufactured by PPG; Hardener and other chemicals are also used in our manufacturing process.
Why is the outer casing used and what materials is it made of?
The casing serves as a means to transport and carry Lite Cylinders and must be in place to meet the approval standards. It is made from polypropylene copolymer.
What governing authority approves the cylinders?
Depending on country location the Lite Cylinders are approved by the following governing bodies:
Department of Transportation (DOT)—Special Permit #14562 Transport Canada—SU 8717 EN 12245 is certified by TUV Rheinland; Certificate # 01 202 630 1A-08010GT for the 10 lb. Certificate # 01 202 630 1B 08023-T for the 20 lb. and 25 lb.
ISO # 11119-3
The values are approved for US and Canada and are UL Listed; for other countries they are "pi" marked.
What pressure level are the cylinders tested to?
Service pressure—294# psi (20 bar) Final Leak Check—200# psi (13.7 bar) Proof Test Pressure—441# psi (30 bar) Minimum Burst Pressure—998# psi (69 bar) Actual Bust Pressure—1150# psi (29 bar) to 1550# (107 bar)
How are the threads installed in Lite Cylinders?
A special bushing is installed during the manufacturing process. This gas tight seal is achieved by 1) O Ring & 8 tons of crimping pressure and 2) the threads can be either 3/4 NLPT or W28 x 14 metric.
What type of tests are Lite Cylinders put through to ensure they meet all necessary standards?
1 Proof Test
2 Leak Check
3 Ambient Cycle Test
4 Environmental cycle test
5 Elevated Temperature test
6 Flaw Test
7 Water Boil Test
8 Drop test--10- drops
9 Torque Test
10 Gun Fire Test
11 Cycle Test
12 Fire Test
13 Pneumatic Tests
14 Permeability Tests
What type valve does the cylinder have?
Standard Type 1 OPD Service Valve for the US and Canada. (Other countries have valves meeting their individual specifications).
Business
Can the serial number be scanned?
Yes.
What are the standard colors of casings and can custom colors be ordered?
Standard 20 # Casing is available in the colors of Natural or Blue. Custom colors can be purchased with a 500 piece minimum order.
Can a name and logo be applied to the casing?
Company name and/or Company logo can also be placed on the cylinder. There is a 500 piece minimum order and small tooling charge.
A small extra charge will be needed to hot stamp your company's information on the outer casing

Old 10-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for all the great replies! I am interested in that 31 pounder. We go through propane fast enough I don't think I want to go with a smaller volume cylinder that will require I pull it out for refilling more often. I do have the indoor flasher that tells me when the red flag on the regulator goes up and I much prefer that to having to go outside in cold or rainy weather to check for the flag. But I'd really like to have those translucent cylinders, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Steve,

You got my curiosity up. What kind of indoor flasher do you use for that purpose?

Thanks!