Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Earthquake

Much of the west coast is in the most quake prone portion of the USA. Have there been any studies to determine how these RV's will withstand an earthquake?

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've read a trailer experiences as much as a 6.0 on the Richter scale just by towing it. That's as close as I've read on this, but I think that was just to emphasize how much movement a trailer needs to withstand. I know I've gone over a few surprise bumps that sure seemed like a lot more. That's a good question Stiles.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Stiles,
I suspect Art is correct or at least on the right track. Some of the roads we pull these things over are probably creating conditions similar to a major earthquake. About the only thing I'd worry about is something falling on the trailer. We saw some first hand evidence as to what that would do to a rig. Just ask Don Carr.

So I suspect that if our rigs do not suffer damage from something falling on them they most likely would survive any major earthquake quite well. I just hope I never get to find out.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I really think that, all along the west coast, it is a matter of "when", not "if". When I see cars upended in Chile, I makes me wonder. If I were fearful, I would leave western Washington and move to other climes. My musing is related to the current events.

By-the-way, our Chile related tsunami amounted to about a 4" rise.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Wow, I've never given this any thought. We don't live in an area that is prone for earthquakes but there is a major fault west of us, (the New Madrid fault in western KY/MO area.) The worst we have experienced is maybe a 3 or 4 on the Richter scale.

IMO, I think the trailer would be the best place to be rather than the stick house; but then I live in a stick house. With the suspension underneath the trailer, I believe it would absorb much of the movement. I doubt there would be as much to worry about as far as things falling in the trailer either. I would think that if you move and travel a lot more most things would probably be fairly secure except whatever would be inside of the cabinets or just sitting around loose.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
They put rubber dampers on buildings to dampen earthquake effects. The trailers are sitting on four of them. I agree that there would be more of a danger from falling objects.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:11 AM   #7
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
The best way to protect yourself from an earthquake in Ca. is not to go there. Been in one not so much fun. Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:22 AM   #8
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I think I-20 in Louisiana is about a 7.5 on the richter scale.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:59 AM   #9
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
There are more than 1 Interstate or other highway that will give you a few jolts! I know US75 heading north to cross the Red River is just a bunch of concrete slabs that someone forgot to align. Not to much different than frost heaves on the Alaska Highway but they don't mark them.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:07 AM   #10
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
We grew up in California on the San Andreas Fault. Been through lots of them. We nevery worried about them. Now tornadoes, that's a different thing all together. Driving through the Midwest is scary in the Spring and the Fall. Like the old saying goes, "Better the Devil you know, than the Devil you don't."
Dick and Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:29 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Since many quakes have been described as " A rolling motion" like a wave on the ocean my guess is that a RV would not do well and would no doubt end up on its side or roof. What is worse there is no warning.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:03 AM   #12
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Being a 'California Girl'...actually fourth generation San Franciscan, I have been through many earthquakes. I have experienced them at home, outside and in a car. The only way I could tell there was an earthquake while in a car, was because the streets started filling up with people getting out of the buildings. As I remember, that was a 5+ on the Richter scale. I would agree that the tires on the Monty offer great cushioning. I agree with Footloose, I am more concerned with tornados or hurricanes. The reality is, by the time you realize it's an earthquake, it's pretty much over. Don't make the threat of earthquake keep you from visiting beautiful California....heck...enjoy the ride!!
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:17 AM   #13
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
We experienced the quake in Paso Robles , Ca. Dec. 23, 2003. It was a 6.5 ,may be down graded to a 6.3. At home, over 40 miles from the epicenter, we had to hold on to the ladder of the trailer to stand up. You could see the house racking (twisting),and the truck, while in park gear only,was lunging fore and aft up to a foot. We only had one figureine (msp) slip off the piano.
While watching power lines arcing, house swaying, the trailer ,while chocked , had a lot of movement.The front legs took a real beating, I'm surprised that they didn't fold up.
Another 40 miles to the south, Lompoc , Ca, I personally know of a swimming pool that lost 4 inches of water out of it during the quake. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:25 AM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
They are a concern to a point, I dont want to be driving my Monty on the L A hwy on a brige, be my luck the darn thing would fall while I'm on it. I think the only weak spot on any trailer in a quake is the front legs being able to take that much movement, I think they would go down for the count, but if connected to the TV and just sitting there I believe it would make it through a good quake. but now that it has survived that you still are statinary because the rest of the area is mostly impassable from all the distruction. best mode of transportation is a dirt bike or bike.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:45 AM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We've been through several medium quakes in our RV. No damage, no problem. The w/d shakes us harder then the earthquakes. Not all earthquakes are "rollers", some just jar you. Living in Kansas as a child, I saw several tornados and our family went to the cellar more than once. Actually there are more earthquakes in Missouri than CA, they just aren't as big. I moved to CA when I was 10. We heard the "big" one was coming - it hasn't yet at least for the past 59 years. We are trying to find someplace where there are no threats of any kind. Anyone know where that is?????
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:59 AM   #16
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
I live in western Washington and there are so many other natural disasters that to me are more of a threat then the BIG ONE. Yes we all need to be prepared, and we are better prepared than most...and the Montana is a big part of that preparedness. But with the Yellowstone caldera over due for an eruption; Mt. St. Helen's, Mt. Baker, and Mt. Rainer in our back yard - and also over due for an eruption, I still would rather be here then in the mid-west in tornado country or on the Gulf in Hurricane country. I know the Montana would not ride out a big wind storm very well. I think the Montana will be able to ride out any earthquake...I am just worried about the tidal wave after the earthquake because we live only 20 feet above sea level.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The "falling" stuff I was referring to was external stuff and not stuff in the Monty. I doubt there would be much damage from internal falling stuff.

Don't think California is the only place in the country that has earthquakes. As already mentioned the midwest or south suffered through one of the most powerful episodes of earthquakes in our history. During the winter of 1811/1812 the area around New Madrid had a series of earthquakes. It was so massive and strong that for a short time it actually caused the Mississippi River to flow in the opposite direction!

Of course the area around New Madrid was very sparsely populated without much infrastructure so there was not too much property damage or too many fatalities. Now a days that would be a completely different story. Should a similar situation occur again there would be massive property damage and great loss of life.

Check out the info on the New Madrid earthquake. I think you'll be surprised at just how massive and powerful the event was.

As Rich pointed out some quakes may tend to cause the rig to turn over. I suspect that in most quake situations you will not have to worry about your Monty turning over. I think those of you who have lived through some of these earthquakes are proof of that. Thank you for posting about your experiences.

Stay safe,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #18
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
During a quake I would only be concerned about the front jacks, nothing else.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #19
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
When the earthquake happened in 1989 in the Bay Area, I was 75 miles east sitting on the ground watching a soccer game at a middle school in Stockton. This was my 2nd experience with feeling a quake. Sitting on the ground all I could feel was the ground rolling like being on a boat on a lake and it only last 45 to 60 seconds. No one was scared, they did not call the game and no one left.

My other experience was about 10 years earlier and I was in an office atmosphere and nothing fell and all it felt like again was rolling on a calm lake.

Coming from the midwest (i.e. Champaign-Urbana, Ill.) and being raised and living there for 30 years I DO NOT MISS THE TORNADO WATCHES AND WARNING! We have been driving in the country and a tornado was one field over parallel to us! We have had very many near misses!

That all being said... I would take living in the West and dealing with earthquakes anytime over living anywhere else.

Just MHO! Thanks for letting me vent!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #20
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mynabird

When the earthquake happened in 1989 in the Bay Area, I was 75 miles east
Just for fun, here's our story about the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989. My mother lived in Capitola (7 miles from the epicenter). Our son was visiting us in Lucerne (100 miles northeast of San Francisco). He and his dad were watching the World Series. The TV went out, and I shouted to our son it would be a good time to call Grandma (he had asked for me to remind him to call). He called. She answered. The earthquake was actually in progress. She was in a manufactured home on wheels (kind of like a Monty, huh?) sitting on her bed. She couldn't get up because of the rolling motion. She and her home survived with just broken dishes. We went down and got her. When she returned home the first thing she did was have railroad rails put under her manufactured home to support it. I'm with you Mynabird, give me earthquakes anytime. Yes, they can be catastrophic, but don't occur that often. But, hey, we could be killed crossing the street . . .
Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote