Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
More Dometic Recall Questions

I have read so much on the Dometic recalls that I am a little concern. I bought my 2005 Monty pre-owned. Because of the like new condition this unit was maintained in by the original owner I have to assume that all recalls were taken care but I have no record. What does this recall fix do and how could I tell if it was done. In other words, what do I look for? I did check the Dometic web page and it indicates my model RM2862 does fall into the recall.

Thanks to all,
Tony

tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Tony,

You will need the VIN when you call. That makes it easy for them to find the info you'll need.

You can also look at the back of the fridge and see if they have installed the fire guard. It would be sort of shiny and toward the right side and near the bottom of the fridge. It just sort of covers some of the propane pipes etc..

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Tony-- Have you registered your 2955 with Keystone? I bought mine used also and when I got on the MOC forum I found out that I needed to let Keystone know I was the new owner! As stated previously, you'll need your VIN # when you call to let them know also! I also called Dometic and talked to customer service and they sent me the recall letter then also!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hi Tony, since documents and ownership transfer don't alway transfer smoothly here's how you can check if the Dometic recall is in place.

Background: All the recall does is enable an approved vendor (most RV service centers) install a metal shield in front of the propane openings and igniter to prevent a broken refrigerator line from causing a fire. The problem is that there is a refrigerator line that can break and if the fluid drips onto the propane area a fire can start. The recall DOES NOT fix what can break, it only provides a cover/shield so that it will not cause the problem to burn your rig down.

How to check: On the exterior wall where the refrigerator is located remove the lower plastic cover and look at the hardware now revealed to you. If you see a large metal cover/shield so that you cannot see the propane burner for the refrigerator, then YOU DO have the recall implemented. If the propane burner is exposed so that you can see it in front of you, then it is NOT installed.

Getting the recall implemented: The recommendation is to get to your closest Keystone dealer and get the recall installed. It does not take long, except that you must wait for the dealer's availability, but the dealer should be very familiar with it. This should be a free repair. What will cost you is the gas for you to go down there, and the inconvenience.

Long Term: Your rig should be safe from catastrophic fire, however if the line breaks on the refrigerator then you will need to have the repair done at YOUR cost. Isn't it nice how that works. They have a design flaw, but don't fix the flaw, they just make it safe for you to return to a service bay and pay to have fixed what they should have fixed in the first place.

Our bureaucracy at its best.

Viva Estados Unidos!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:13 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Just to add one more detail, if you see a bright yellow deposit around the bottom of the refrigeration unit, then you have experienced the failure, and the cooling unit needs to be repaired or replaced. The yellow deposit is a chromate corrosion inhibitor that is part of the refrigerant mixture. If the yellow deposit is visible, then the refrigerant has escaped, and obviously the refrigerator will no longer cool.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Yep, funny thing is, Dometic even refers to it as a "defect".
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:08 AM   #7
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
Because all the before and after pictures posted of the recall fix, it appeared that mine was completed, but Dometic recall hotline indicated it had not been completed. I finally was able to talk to a real person at Dometic by VIN number they determined that the recall fix was completed by my dealer prior to transfer of ownwership to me. The dealer also transfered ownership information with Montana. Thanks guys I feel very relived to find that "the fix is in".

Tony
On the Road to Dalles, Oregon
tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote