Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #21
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I pretty much do the same thing every body else does,black close,galley close grey open,due to showers but I put the plug in the shower for most of the shower and pull the plug near the end of the shower for a good flush.

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #22
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I am in the minority I guess. Black closed until time to dump. Both Grey tanks open all the time. I use a sewer solution so have no problem with having to flush out the stinky slinky. I did leave the shower/bathsink grey tank closed last time out and with the gage reading 2/3 full after I took a shower and went outside I was rather embarrassed to find water dripping from the underbelly and white foamy soapy residue all over under the RV. I took it back to CW and they said I needed a new tank (one year old) so there is another warranty issue.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #23
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We keep the black closed and the two greys open until about two days before dumping the black...then close the greys. In order we dump black then greys...with the tank flusher, not much grey water is needed to flush the lines.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #24
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We keep the black tank closed until it is full. We leave the gray tanks open until a day or two before we dump the black. Then we dump the black then the gray tanks. Then we use the black tank flusher until the water runs clear.

We also travel with about 5 gallons of water in the black tank.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #25
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
We do the same thing - leave the black close and the gray open until the night before we dump. Since we are stationary, one of my chores is to dump every Sunday am. So either Friday night or Saturday, I close the gray before showers. Come sunday, I dump the black, then flush out the black until water runs fairly clear, then open the gray to clean out hose. Haven't had any issues this way.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #26
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Ours varies depending on the hook-ups. If we are on a sewer then we will leave the grey tanks open. If I can remember to close the main grey tank somewhat before dumping I will usually close that one so that it will build up water in order to flush after dumping the black tank. I never close the galley tank. I do have a valve at the end of the sewer line where the connection is at and when not on a sewer this is usually closed to allow for maximum grey water storage.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #27
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Have been keeping mine closed until dump time. However, this past weekend with them closed, when I raised the front end of the rig to hook up (I had dumped) I observed a great deal of grey water leak from the bottom of the rig. Must have a leak in the grey water tank. So right now I have the grey water valve open until I can get to some RV service place.

Orv
Orv, I know you were going to take it in to get it fixed and may even have it repaired by now. I would like to mention this for the benefit of others. When we first got our camper we had grey water spill out when we were hooking up to leave just before dumping like you had described. I took it back to the dealer and I was told that there was a connection somewhere above the tank were that if it was overfilled it would leak because it wasn’t sealed very well. In my case it appeared that I overfilled the galley tank and this is where I think the leak was at. I had the galley tank closed the first time I was out and this is one reason I got in the habit of leaving it open. Although I believe they made repairs to where it was leaking, I do know that I’ve not had that problem since then. I wanted to mention this because it may not necessarily be a bad tank if someone is spilling grey water just before dumping while hooking up as you have described.