Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
What's A Good Small Generator?

Looking at different Gen sets and was wondering what experiences you've had with them; what's a good reliable make, and what size in kilowatt ratings? I am looking at something that is easy to lift in the front of the 5th wheel and/or lift into the back of the pickup. Appreciate any experiences and thanks; Ellis

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
You'll get lots of responses on this one! We have a Honda EU2000 and love it.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Honda 2000 for us also.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Best for you to provide what your looking for in devices that you'd like to run?
1. Built in units allow top of the line convenience...typically run off your existing LP source so you don't have to add a different type of fuel to the rig. Onan is the standard...
2. Honda is by far the High end of mobile carry on units...standard message here...you get what you pay for and can't go wrong with any of this brand....
1kw good to recharge batteries and/or run small devices
2kw good to run most of the Monty stuff minus the AC
3kw good to go...run em all...one at a time or staged dependent on how they aggrigate
3. Kipor is a pretty good alternative, I have one and purchased after seeing these used by many hard core users (its a Chinese, Honda copy)
4. Contractor generators...don't bother...unless you don't care about us neighbors!!
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
You will get a number of opinions here. Many of us have the Honda 2000. The advantage of the Honda 2000 - QUIET, Light weight, can be paired with a second Honda 2000 with a parallel kit (or a Honda 2000 Companion) to provide 4000 watts, reliable, and did I mention - they're QUIET. Yamaha also makes a good one and you will also hear of the Chinese knock offs. 2000 watts (at sea level) will run everything but the A/C. If you need to run the A/C, get two Honda 2000's or a Honda 3000 (or other brand). Hopefully next year we will add a Honda 2000 Companion.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Honda EU2000 here, however, you need to define your needs before a proper answer is given. For example; Do you plan on doing a lot of boondocking for extended periods, just need it for the ocassional "power out" situations, or weekends at the park with no hookups. It really does make a huge difference why you think you need one. My BIL has been RVing for 10 years, 4 1/2 full time and he has NEVER had a generator. His lifestyle is full hook ups only. I have used mine one time while boondocking with the MOCers at Quartzsite and once at Wright Patterson when the base power went down. However, as a fulltimer, I feel I need one, just in case of power outage or parking at Walmart or the side of the road......There are several brands available. An important consideration is the sound level, another is wattage that you might need, another is weight and another is clean power to run electronics. Many commercial units are noisy and not designed to run sensitive electronic equipment. Honda, Yamaha, and Kipor all make portable units and are fairly quiet to boot. The greater wattage, the heavier the unit, most portables will not run everything, especially AC.

Hope this help. Perhaps others will weigh-in also. Good luck on your choice and welcome to "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW!!!!!"
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
We also have the Honda 2000 units. We have two with the parallel kit. Nice thing about two is you can take just one if you do not anticipate using the air conditioner and get along very well.

Yamaha also has a small unit 2400 watt that we looked at and almost purchased. At that time they did not have the ability to run a parallel system. Both the Honda and Yamaha are quit and you can use them for computer power as well.

We have had both Honda and Yamaha (older unit) and liked both.

Do not know anything about other brands.

Good Luck in your purchase.

Dean
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I guess you'll find a consensus here. The Honda portable units especially the EU2000 are just the right size for most RVers. The EU1000 is too small and is popular with tenters and at tailgate parties for a TV or some tunes but that's about it. The advantage to the EU2000 is that it is the smallest lightest unit that can be combined via a "parallel cable" to double the capacity to support a 30 amp RV. The EU3000 has better capacity, but just because it has a handle does not means it's portable. Likewise the EU3000 can be cabled to provide EXCELLENT RV power (6000w peak but easily about 4500w run rating. You could probably use it for a 50amp rig. BUT, they're way bigger and heavier (at least for me).

While the 2000 and 1000 refer to the max wattings of the units their running watts are actually much smaller (about 1400w and 700w typical). This is why two EU2000 rated at 4000w will provide about 2800W for an RV quite comfortably, therefore you must still be careful with starting up the microwave AND air conditioner at the same time. One problem with this solution is that the fuel tanks are quite small so you must monitor the gas (be careful refueling a generator that has been running for a while) and you probably need to refuel at least everyday. Another problem is that the deviant world knows about these little treasures and if you scout around the forums you'll see discussions of several of us trying to secure these somehow. One member actually had both units and parallel cable stolen WHILE THEY WERE ASLEEP and they were even cable-locked. Thieves just cut the cable and away they went (that's how portable they are.)

Bad news aside, I am the proud owner of dual EU2000s (see my signature). I have not EVER boondocked with them, but want to as soon I feel comfortable about securing them. Every trip I take both along and at least one of them with my air compressor to enable me to air up my TV or RV whenever needed. I fire one the generator, fire up the compressor and fill up anything with the long air hose I have. Each unit weighs less than 50 lbs (with fuel and oil) so I am able to put them in the back of my truck bed. When I am not towing my 5er I can close my truck bed cover for some extra security. I cannot do that with any other generators!

Yamaha re-entered the portable unit market to compete directly against Honda but their units are even MORE expensive, so I didn't bother.

Pricewise the portable solution is much more expensive per capita than a standalone 4000w generator. But a standalone generator is VERY heavy, large, awkward and loud. As I read someone else mention prior, many people have had bad luck with "Far-East" manufactured units. They are very expensive but they are not as robust, do not last as long and I have heard that many customer also doubt that the units meet their documented specs because of reported brownouts or failures. I looked at these quickly and decided I'd rather have something I wanted to last for a long time, rather than keep replacing.

I hope to eventually get a generator installed in my RV permanently but with the EU2000s I can now wait for as long as I feel like it. And I also don't mind loaning it to fellow campers in a pinch, too.

Good luck on your selection.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We carry and seldom use a small Honda 650 generator. It is older than dirt and just won't die. It will also run the fridge, tv/vcr and lights. It gets about 6 hours on about a quart of gas.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:57 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
According to your needs the Honda 2000 sound like a good choice although it is Japanese knock off of a good USA generator. We have the Kipor 3000, heavy but does not come off he truck. Will run the A/C's with no problem. Ran them in the outer banks (sea level) and the Colorado Rockies(more than sea level) If I had to do it over I would go with the dual Honda 2000.. Much more versatile. We do not boondock and in the last three years have had little use for a generator. Make sure your camping lifestyle requires a generator.... Don't get one just because eeryuone else does.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 AM   #11
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
It depends on your needs, wants and bank account. We have 2 Honda EU2000 generators with the crossover kit. However we boondock quite often so when we bought the monty we had 2 - 130 watt solar panels with a 1800 watt inverter and 4 golf cart batteries installed. In the 3 years we have been camping I don't think we used 10 gallons of gas and we can run everything in the trailer (except air) one at a time. Just a small suggestion.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I made the mistake of getting a 5000w Honda and wish I had the 2000w units. The 5000w does great when we have hurricanes. Hook it to the house and yeaaa. Just to big for the 5ver. The next thing you have to think about is if I'm in Canada or in the boonies somewhere, whats going to be the easier one to get parts for if needed. Probably the HONDA.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I like several others here have the Kipor 3000. Waffled on getting it when I got our 3400. I decided at the last moment to make the plunge and within the first 12 months of "I will never dry camp/boondock" I had to use it 4 times in emergency situations that it was a life saver for.

I would go with the 2000EU Honda if you don't need to run AC. If I had it to do over again, I would not hesitate. I love the security and peace of mind of knowing that the gen (always filled with gas and padlocked with a full 5 gal gas can) is there if all else fails.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #14
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Like others have stated here, "it all depends on how you are going to use it". Now with that out of the way, I now have a Honda 2000, I use to have a Kipor 3000 but changed this year while at Quartzsite. The Kipor was great while it worked but, when it failed it was a real problem. When I bought it the RV supply store had a Kipor tech that was someone we knew quite well. He told us if we had any problems they would take care of it. Well as things go, the tech took a position elsewhere, so they could no longer work of the Kipor. When we took ours in for a none starting problem they wanted a receipt from the original purchase and said they had to contact Kipor to verify that it was still under warranty which would take about 5 to 7 days. We were leaving for Quartzsite so I repaired it myself, a burnt wire behind the carburetor. To continue the saga, while in Quartzsite the generator failed again. After 3 hours and major work on it, it still would not start. We decided to get a Honda 2000 to get us through the next week.

When we got the Honda, they electronic registered it when you buy it so any Honda repairer facility can check the warranty status with no delay, even without your original receipt. It has run great and is easy to store in the front storage on the 3400. We were debating on getting another 2000 with a parallel kit but have decided to hold out and add solar instead.

For dependability, service, and convenience I go with the Honda. As for the Kipor, it was stolen out of the back of my truck while we were visiting my mother.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is a fact that many, if not all, dealership stores will not work on any other brand but the one they sell. Example the Honda generator dealership here in town can, by contract agreement, only work on Honda's. It is the same with many other dealership stores. Any independent repair facility will of course work on Any brand. It was that very same dealership, a friend of ours that told us the Kipor was a rip off of the Honda generator with @90% of the parts being the same. They could easily repair it but were not permitted to. In fact a local RV dealershp took on the Kipor line . He was a "authorized Honda dealer and repair facility. Honda found out and told him if he wanted to continue to sell Honda's he had to drop the Kipor line...He dropped Kipor. There are however a lot more Honda dealareships than KIPOR..something to consider.We have never had a probem with our Kipor. We run it every month for 30 min's. Sears repair facilites are good with all brands. We got the Kipor at a really good price but The Honda would be a better choice for many of he above reasons.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #16
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
We have a Yahmaha 3000 with a boost. Although it is heavier than the Honda 2000 it is not as easy to walk away.

We like the extra power to run appliances while we "primitive" camp.

Once more as others have said you need to look at your needs and make your decsion that best meets your needs.

You have been given very good and practical advice by others here.

As for Nancy and I, we would go with the Yahmaha again if we had to.
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #17
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
We have the Yamaha 2400. I like it because it will run my bedroom a/c, not to heavy, quiet and good on the gas.
nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #18
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
If all Montana's came with dual Honda EU2000's we wouldn't be having this discussion....... And when the power goes out in the stick house, as it does here in Western Washington, just fire off the Honda!! Yes, I own two of them and am hauling two more up to my cousin in Alberta.
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote