Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
yippee, oh nuts, say what?

Well the house is under contract so we are one step closer to joining everyone in persuing the dream Just waiting and hoping all goes well. With this grand news in mind I took the TV to the dealer and had the exhaust break installed on it...$$$$.. While there I asked them to listen to a sound in the rear. Wheel bearings. I had read somewhere this was a problem with the Dodge 3500 at about 50k and here I am More $$$$, Figured should get the Direct TV situated since I need it in about 30 days.

Did you know that the people at Direct TV have no idea what each other are talking about? It took 4 calls to 4 different people who each gave me a different phone number to places that had no idea what I was talking about. Except for Wingard who knew what I wanted but had no idea why Direct keeps telling people to call them for service. After about 3 hours of conversations with idiots, I finally got someone who knows about putting DT in the RV and tells me they can't provide service for that. Then he procedes to argue with me about wheter or not the other people had given me bad leads. Upshot is I am going to CW or Radio Shack and get set up that way. I am almost scared to deal with DT if this is the quality of service I can expect. So after a long day of ups and downs,,,, I burned the meatloaf...

Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jerry-- Check with Best Buy, if you have one in your area and see what they say and want to install DT in your rig! Just a suggestion!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I went through the same routine and finally gave up and went with Dish Net. All I have to do is set up my receiver pointed in the right direction. However, we have found that when we are on the road, television is less and less interesting to us. So we have decided to put the satellite on vacation while we travel and be satisfied with whatever we find along the way. The internet is much more inportant to us.

Congratulations on the contract. Sure glad you found the issue with the Dodge before going on the road.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
We kept a seperate Dish receiver in the previous RV. If we didn't use the Dish receiver for a month they would cancel it. The receivers in the house would still work.
I would take the camper and go somewhere and when I got there I would have to be on the phone for 45 minutes each time and tell them to reboot my receiver by sending it a signal.
I would always tell them that it was in a RV and that would really throw them a curve but it was always 45 minutes each time we took it out after sitting for more than 30 days.
I don't know it direct would be any better.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
As posted in another thread, I have DISH. I don't tell them anything. I pull the DVR 722 out of the rack and put it in the Hanna. In order to keep the $5 rental charge off of the box, you have to have it hooked to a phone line. Since I'm only out for two weeks at a time max right now, I just don't have a phone to plug in when I'm on the road. So they try to bill me $5, but when I get home I hook the phone line back up, call them, and they take the $5 off the bill.

Some one mentioned some while back on another thread that they notified their service provider and there was a check box that was for RV's. Maybe they'll come in here and state their item again.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
We switched from dish to direct with no real problems. We went through the Internet then backed it up with a phone call and they came out and installed it in the Montana. Done Deal. I guess it is who you have the fortune or missfortune to deal with.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You need never mention the word RV or camper or mobil when ordering directtv or for that matter Dish. Just buy the system. give them an address , any address, your stick house, one of your kids, a relative. You can choose not to receive a paper bill and you can pay on line. We have 4 receivers//two transfer into the camper when we are on the road, like now, and two stay at home. Our Billing and service address is here in Davenport Florida. Just call them.DO NOT MENTION THE WORD RV and tell them you are in Florida or where ever for the winter and they will bring up the local channels. When we get home do the same..the changeover takes seconds. You DO NOT need a phone line ..you can order movies or special events on line or by cell phone. If you tell them the system is for or in a RV some of them will try to sell you additional RV packages or say it can't be done....DO NOT MENTION THE SYSTEM IS FOR OR IN A RV..and there is no problem..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:34 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
JD & MERT, I had my original system set up thru CW. All I had to do was call Direct and activate. I did request someone familiar with RV's though, as you get some funny remarks from some of these people, Like "RV's? We don't do RV's". OR "You have to have a permanent home first". Yea it can be daunting. After you get set up you will need to send in a form to get a waiver for the East and West coast national channels, this is downloadable from their site, although it is somewhat hidden. It then takes several weeks of getting this turned on. I upgraded to HD and absolutely love it. We have a dome antenna and a portable dish antenna. BTW, a lot of ketchup on the meatloaf should help!!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Oh, no, not the meatloaf!

Seriously, congratulations on the contract on the house.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Rich is correct.....don't mention the word RV and it does not require a phone line to be attached. I been over most of the US without any problem and had reception in all but two locations and that was due to trees and mountains.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:38 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Charlie is right about the phone line not being a requirement. However, updates to the software are sent in the middle of the night using the phone line. Not necessary if you are satisfied with the software technology of your system never getting upgraded.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was told that the phone line is only used to order special events(movies, Etc) in the event you do not have a computer. Many folks now days do not have a land line at all. Everything is done by satellite communication. I told a tech service person we were talking to at directtv we had no land line..only a cell pnone. He said...."don't need it" That was a couple of years ago..maybe need to check that out again.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #13
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I have the DVR (recorder) system and a regular box on the bedroom tv and neither is tied to a phone line. Only if you want to order pay-per view do you need to be hooked up or call them and order special programs over the phone.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You can order Movies online with directtv.Been doing it for a long time.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #15
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
WE live in Alaska and now in Arizona and next maybe in Florida. I see you have been to Alaska. Were you able to use Direct TV in Alaska?
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

JD & MERT, I had my original system set up thru CW. All I had to do was call Direct and activate. I did request someone familiar with RV's though, as you get some funny remarks from some of these people, Like "RV's? We don't do RV's". OR "You have to have a permanent home first". Yea it can be daunting. After you get set up you will need to send in a form to get a waiver for the East and West coast national channels, this is downloadable from their site, although it is somewhat hidden. It then takes several weeks of getting this turned on. I upgraded to HD and absolutely love it. We have a dome antenna and a portable dish antenna. BTW, a lot of ketchup on the meatloaf should help!!!!!!!
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Generally, after research, the phone line is used for:
(Documented on DISHNetwork web page)
.Pay-Per-View
.Provides non-interruptive programming
.Customer Support Applications
.Interactive TV Applications
.PPV Limited to a specific purchase amount
.Billing of PPV purchased

One blog states that it is used to upload your viewing habits for the Nielsen ratings

Another blog:
Prevents "Stacking." Registering multiple receivers on one account and then given them out to your friends. When the receiver calls in DISH checks the phone number of the account and verifies the location of the receiver. The most registered receivers you can have on a residential account is six.

Typically if you do not have a phone line hooked up you will be charged $5 a month for the rental use of the receiver. It is waived if you have a phone line hooked up.

The following is a quote from the DISH Agrrement:
"....DISH Network will charge you a reduced monthly fee (Additional Receiver Authorization Fee) for each additional receiver added to your account. This option is only available if your initial DISH Network receiver and all additional receiver(s) are located at the same residence and are continuously connected to the same telephone line. If you desire to receive Services at two different locations, you must open a separate account for each location. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing Services for multiple DISH Network receivers that are not all located in the same residence and connected to the same phone line. If we later determine that you did, we may terminate your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you agree to pay us the difference between the amounts actually received by us and the full retail price for the Services authorized for each DISH Network DBS receiver on the account, whether owned by you or not. The payment of that amount and/or the termination of Services shall not prejudice our ability to exercise any other rights and remedies we may have under this Agreement, at law, in equity, or otherwise."

"E. For proper operation of your Equipment, DISH Network requires that you connect each DISH Network receiver on your account to a telephone line. For accounts containing multiple receivers, each receiver must be connected to the same telephone line."

ALL of the above applies to DISH Network. I am just going to ASSUME that DTV is similar.

Summary: You don't need the phone line to watch satellite TV, but you may have degraded services. You will be in violation of their agreement with you and they could then terminate your services. They could possibly choose to litigate with you.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:58 AM   #17
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
As far as service goes, I was really disgusted with the phone reps from Dish Network and was about to cancel. I went into a local retailer and talked to them. The girl behind the counter did not know much but she quickly put me in touch with a tech that knew his business.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #18
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Just as an FYI the new Dish receivers have an internet connection. If you use the internet connection there is no requirement to use a telephone connection. If you were paying the $5 fee because you didn't have a phone connection they now waive that fee if you are internet connected. So if you have internet capability in the RV the phone is not an issue.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #19
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
They hooked up the Direct TV today. All seems to be working well. In my conversations with the service dept. they told me about the form to enable us to get the network channels either out of LA or NY. Seems simple enough. One more thing out of the way.

They have now moved the closing date up on us by 2 weeks so the buyer dosn't loose their lower intrest rate. Fine with us as long as it closes. Getting closer.....
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote