Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #21
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I would have to look up the statistics but I think you have better odds of being involved in a fatal motor vehicle accident then you do of having your RV explode due to leaving the propane on. In all my years in the fire service I have never seen a tank explode. They will vent the gas off but have never seen one explode and send shrapnel flying thru the air. Now a leaking line can fill the trailer with gas and if ingnited ....well....the unthinkable.

There are risk as in all things in life. After weighting the risk we have decided to travel with the propane on.

RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #22
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
We travel with the propane on. I do kinda wish that the refrigerators were 3-way as in the "old days" as I would then run it off the battery.
After all I can't have my liquid/frozen refreshment getting warm or thawing out can I..... ;^)
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #23
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

There are a lot of facets of life that people can agree to disagree about. The main advantage to this forum is that members, particularly new members can learn what others are doing, what they aren't doing, reasons for, reasons against, etc., etc. I do not take anything personal, but rather tell forum members what we do, the reasons we do it, and then they can make a hopefully informed decision as to what is right and wrong in their particular situation. For instance, we travel with the pets crated in the rig because that is the choice that we make due to space limitations. We travel in cold temperatures with the furnace on to keep the pets warm. We travel on extended trips with the fridge on, because with a family of four we carry an extensive amount of frozen and refrigerated food that we prefer to not subject to any warming temperatures. We understand what we feel are the risks associated with our chosen behaviors and have made a decision that we are comfortable with. I liken it to air travel, there is a possibility that your plane will crash, yet air travel is deemed safe due to the fact that millions are not subjected to the occasional crash. The same reasoning could apply to other facets of our lives, isolated instances to us are not a determining factor in the choices we make, yet we fully understand that others may not undergo and agree with the reasons and justifications we make in our personal decisions. This does not mean we are right nor does it mean we are wrong, it simply means we hopefully made an informed decision that was the best for our situation. It is good to present the alternatives so that others can likewise make their own justifications, rationalize their own decisions, and feel informed about that decision. As before, we weighed the benefits and feel that the benefits for us outweigh the risks. Others who feel differently are justified in their decisions as well. As always, this is my opinion only and therefore should not be taken as advice. Besides, it is cold and snowy here and I have nothing better to do than to post on the forum, wait for the Super Bowl, and try not to offend anyone! And furthermore, no animals were harmed during the course of this lengthy post!!
Bingo
Right On, Bingo! Great advice for everyone, wish everyone used the forum this way, they would become a lot smarter. (notice no X2 here?)
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #24
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dpam
When the main gas valve on the tank is turned on, it is critical that you fully open it until it locks to enable the excess flow valve to operate.
If I'm not mistaken,(please correct me if I'm wrong), but I do think the EFV works in any valve position. I know on my #30 tanks, I have to turn them on very - very slowly to let the pressure equalize then the EFV will open to allow gas to flow. All this is occuring when the valve is just cracked. I will listen to the valve with a mechanic's stethoscope and listen for the click, then open the valve all the way. As far as the post goes, we travel with one tank off and the other just cracked, enough for the fridge.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #25
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Mac preaches the dangers of fires from propane, gas, and diesel...and, happens to sell fire extinguishers.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #26
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #27
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Always "follow the money", is good advice. In our lives we hear many openions and recommendations that are based on how they influence others to send money in their direction. The MOC provides just the place for none economic based openions. I particularily like Bingo's remarks.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote