Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Fuse Panel

This is our first Montana, I looked in the fuse panel today because our ceiling fan does not work, I noticed red diodes next to each fuse, if it's lit does that mean the fuse is bad? Dident pull it to look because I got sidetracked and still diden't figure out why the fan does not work, Maybe tomorrow.

K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
George,
Ref the 12 VDC fuse panel with Red LEDs. Yes they will light up when the fuse is blown and the switch is on (there is a demand for 12 volts). If the switch is off the LED will not light because there is not demand.

The ceiling fan operations off 110 volts AC. Does the lights under the fan work?
You need to give us more information on the ceiling fan.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:07 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Besides turning on the fan's wall switch, then I must yank on the fan/light switches (if any) to get mine going. Does your fan operate with a remote? Is it possible that only the remote operates the fan? How about the freshness of the batteries in the remote? I use a small DVM that has a battery tester to confirm batteries.

On my rig, my 110v breaker box does not specifically call out the fan, but the closest to it would be the breaker labeled "living room". I would test other 110v outlets or devices to verify the breaker is not blown (note: most lighting in the living room is 12v and wouldn't help for this purpose). If other stuff works then it is something with the fan.

If other things don't work, then check the circuit breaker. They have been known to stop working even though the switch has not "tripped". You might also try to locate a GFCI to ensure it's not that either.

So many possibilities and this is the extent of my debugging capabilities. I hope you post what you find. Good luck.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Ok I feel stupid. Found the Big White Switch that operates the Fan, Duh
Thanks
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
No Duh there, I did it in Fl. this winter. Glad it was an easy "one beer" fix.
Thanks for posting.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
homendn
Established Member

M.O.C. #6008
Send a message via ICQ to homendn Send a message via Yahoo to homendn
Just a quick note to say thanks for posting this. I had a red light on my fuse block, the upper (Ceiling) lights in the kitchen had quit working, all other under cabinets worked, and electricity escapes me. I blew the fuse on the undercabinet lights this morning checking voltage and probably crossed something with the probes.

The "Duh" moment came when I found, "Rediscovered", the paddle switches above the spice cabinet for the overhead lights. All is well now. All lights work.

What got my goat this morning is that nowhere in any of the literature for the coach is there a wiring diagram. I searched here but did not go to the Keystone site. Will do that next. From all appearances, till I found the paddle switches, was the something was amiss in just the two overhead lights in the kitchen/computer desk area and I was looking for a schematic on "How" they were wired.

OBTW - the Hitch light on the outside still doesn't work. Will tackle that next. We just got back from an 1800 mile round tripper to Reno and back. That was the first time the RV had been on the road since mid last year. Lots of little bugs to work through.

Turning the battery disconnect on and off has become routine for me now. I burnt a set of batteries up by overcharging while the unit was on AC. Learned my lesson. Battery disconnect is OFF till I actually need it.
homendn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Homendn,
No need to search for a wiring diagram. There is no such thing. This subject has come up many many times. Just trying to save you some time and effort.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
George, my husband is forever leaning on the wall switch and when I pull the chain on the ceiling fan it won't come on. The first few times I thought it was broken until I realized what was going on.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
homendn
Established Member

M.O.C. #6008
Send a message via ICQ to homendn Send a message via Yahoo to homendn
Hummmmm no wiring diagrams ..... Thanks!!!!!! I should have done "That" search first I guess.

I do have an issue with the light at the front - under the overhang -hitch light. I checked the switch contact with the bulb in and get 26 volts both swithched on and off. When I pull the bulb, I get nothing on the switch. The bulb is good. I took it in and plugged it into a light that works and sure nuff -- it works fine. I don't get any readings from the socket when the bulb is out and the switch is on. All the basement lights work just fine. Like I said, Electricity escapes me. I am an Old Navy Metal Worker/Inspector.
homendn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #10
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Homendn, I have the same issue with the light you refer to on our 3400. It is under the overhang. What I discovered was the switch, which is a cheap thing, doesn't always make contact. Right from the get-go, I have to rock the switch back and forth a few times, then the light will come on. Just cheap bad contacts in those switches. Once is is on, then it works fine for a while, until moisture gets into the contacts again, then a few "rockings" and it works again. I seldom use it, so probably won't replace it until it just quits entirely. On an enclosed utility trailer I have, it has the SAME switch, and the switch actually won't even move (rock) until I spray it with WD40 after it has sat for a while.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:03 AM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
homendn and TAKPAK-- Do you have the remote key pads for your units? IF so the light switch, I think, is on it so when or if you are hooking up at night you can turn it off/on from the TV. If you don't have the remote keypad, your guess is as good as mine unless there is a wire up in the hitch that has come undone! Let us know what you find!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
[quote]Originally posted by Rondo

homendn and TAKPAK-- Do you have the remote key pads for your units? IF so the light switch, I think, is on it so when or if you are hooking up at night you can turn it off/on from the TV. If you don't have the remote keypad, your guess is as good as mine unless there is a wire up in the hitch that has come undone! Let us know what you find!!

We do NOT have the remote key pad. Our light problem is just simply a cheap switch that doesn't always make contact. After about three "on/offs" on the switch, then it works fine.......until it sits for a while. Someday I'll change it out. Maybe one of those new motion sensing LED ones!!!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Most RV stores carry those cheap switches for a couple of buck for a triple switch with enclosure. Just keep changing them out when they fail. They are the worst switches I have ever seen and I have seen a few.

Pam, Bob isn't the only one that has a habit of leaning on the fan switch. The darn thing is at shoulder height and I know every time I come down the stairs I either turn it "on" or "off".

I guess if that is all we have to complain about our problems aren't too bad.

Happy trails,
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
OK, I'm missing something. Where is the switch for the light over the pin box? What's it called? I was never told how to control that light. What is it called on the remote?

Thanks.
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
I believe that led light on the pin box works in tandem with the outside scare light. Turn the scare light off with the remote and the pin box light will go out.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #16
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Walt and Lynn,
We have a 3605RL and the lamp on the front of the basement facing forward under the overhang on our rig worked only when at the dealer for repair. I finally went to CW and purchased the switch, which was under the light housing and replaced it with a new one. I checked with a VOM and the bulb was fine. Finally decided to try "shorting" the two leads together inside the housing,(found after removing the lens) and the lamp comes on. This test proved that the switch was faulty. The two leads actually are attached to the switch, and shorting them just bypassed the switch and the light worked. The switch was about $3. Worth the time to replace the switch. I don't use the light that many times but would be nice if it worked when it was needed.
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #17
simrou

M.O.C. #9891
Note the front light for hitch only operates when the scare light
is on.
simrou is offline   Reply With Quote