Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Potable water tank

When we travel or camp just for a weekend, we like to bring our own water. This means filling up the potable water tank of the Montana at home and adding significant weight. Do most of you travel with your potable water tank full and wait to get to your destination before filling up? I also am concerned that traveling with a full tank of water could damage the tank. Thanks.

nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:19 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I travel with about 1/3 a tank for potty stop and hand washing.
If we are going to be without water at the site I fill up just before parking.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:21 AM   #3
Unhitched
Established Member

M.O.C. #10157
WE travel with just enough water in our tank to look after any emergencies along the way. We hook up with campground water upon arriving. I see no need to travel with all the extra weight. Most of us are carring enough weight around as it is. If there is no campground hookups, we will fill up at their supply before going to our site. All campgrounds have water available somewhere.
Unhitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Empty for us, don't like to pay for the fuel to carry extra weight. We drink bottled water, so we do carry a few bottles of water.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
We travel with a full tank and the holding tanks empty. Been broke down 2 times and it sure made it nice to have that while waiting a couple days in the dealer lot for the truck to be fixed. Plus with the tank in the very back it helps to offset your pin weight.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Like most others we carry about a 1/3 of a tank. When we hook up I attach a heavy duty house water filter. Or if dry camping I will fill up as close to where we are staying as possible. You really don't want to carry a full tank around all the time.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

I travel with about 1/3 a tank for potty stop and hand washing.
If we are going to be without water at the site I fill up just before parking.
Ditto, except much less than 1/3 of a tank. A full tank of water is lots of weight, about 580 lbs (if the water heater is full too).
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We care a few bottles of water for during trips. We fill a partial tank (10 gallons or about 85lbs) for bio stops. The tank water is for flushing and cold water washing of hands. We don't run WH while traveling, but sometimes with just leaving the CG, the water is warm.

Traveling with full tanks is supposed to work, but some members have reported tank problems or checked and found questionable bracing for their tanks. I am hoping the amounts we carry and the resulting gray or black water "additions" don't add too much more weight since I have not checked the condition of the bracing. I am not willing to travel long distance with any tanks full, but that's just me. The worse I've done with full tanks is drive to the dump station to unload at the CG we are staying. But this is low speed and short distance.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Put in enuff to light the 1st light on the level indicator - however much that is.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Lawman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7940
We travel with very little on board water, just enough to take care of the toilet.
Lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Same as H. John Kohl.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote