Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Some Interesting Tests

With the many times that I have drained the black and grey water tanks I had this feeling that that the tanks were not emptying properly inclusive of very slowly when the Monty was level and hooked to the truck.
So I did a test: First I drained both black and grey water tanks on the level after a number days usage. I let each drain until the flow slowly stopped. We live on a farm so I then took the Monty on a hill with the nose up and slightly leaning to the drivers side to see if any more liquid was there to dump; low and behold about 5 to 7 gallons (maybe more) came out from each tank indivdually as I opened the dump valves.
This means that each time we dump we continue to carry this added weight in the tanks because proper plumbing slope of tanks and drains has not been attained to completely drain all liquids. Good chance that solids will sit there forever if you do not raise the nose of the Monty up to dump. (galley holding tank seems to work well)
Does this mean that every Monty out there is built this way? Anyone else notice this problem?? Will be discussed with our Dealer to verify. Any feedback, experiences or tests would be appreciated. Thanks Ellis

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You'd expect that the tanks are designed, then installed to dump completely at the level. I'll have to try that out next time we are out (which might be a while with this heat). After dumping the black tank down to its slowest trickle, I will try the up-from-level, then down-from-level to look for "extras". Then close that tank and do the same with each grey tank one at a time. Then I will have to try a side to side check.

Lots of easy but time-consuming work but it will help to determine if any of the tanks are not draining properly and possibly what direction is troublesome.

Thanks for the idea 8e3k0.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Those who go on the plant tour at the rally (or any other time for that matter) will see the tanks as they are installed. The tanks are quite long and shallow, laid across the width of the trailer, about 6' x 3' x 8". There is a slope molded into the bottom towards the drain. They drain out a corner on the driver's side. The black and grey tank outlets face each other and drain into a common tee. Because of the long shallow nature of the tanks, it would not take much of a sideways slope to throw off the draining.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
It's true. Compound that by the willy-nilly, not very level ground at a dump station, and your mileage may vary.

I often jockey my rig around to the terrain at dump stations to get my trailer to lean in the most advantageous direction and achieve the best drainage of the tanks. This includes trying to place the appropriate trailer wheels on high or low spots or even my leveling boards, driving the tow vehicle up on curbs, or using the landing gear to elevate the nose a little bit while still hooked up to the truck. I have yet to disconnect the trailer to manipulate it at a dump station though, I don't take it to that extreme.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We have been known to pull Tana's wheels up on leveling chocks or boards at a dump. Many times.

Also, note those of us that have rear kitchens, and maybe some of you others, that that galley tank is quite a ways back there, there is a LONG sewer run. Many times there is left over liquid, no matter HOW long you wait, in that sewer run. This is why CountryGuy got that extra valve. Plus with that extra valve we can equalize the gray and galley when need be.

Agree fully, that dump stations are usually NOT level, cannot tell you how many, (LOTS), that are actually "tipped" the wrong way, away from the dump/sewer hole. Now, THAT is really irritating.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Skidaway State Park in Savannah used to have a dump station that tilted away from the dump trap, I got into the habit of driving up on one of my 2x10 leveling boards. Last year they repaved with a proper slope but I still use one of my boards and that seems to work very well. Granted additional tilt during the installation would be very advantageous... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote