Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Shade over AC

A while back someone posted a picture of a shade over the ac. I am thinking of doing this as we are setting in 100 degree heat. Thanks for any info on this.
Have a great day.
Dick

rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You mean someone that posted a picture of himself working on the roof of their RV and set up a tripod and an umbrella to keep themselves cooler? This was under "Repairs and Service"; look for "Don't laugh, it works" by Bill-and-Donna. Or are you referring to something else?

I see from your temperature gauge in your signature that is 93 right now in Kansas. I live in the California desert and it's only 86 at 4:00pm. That's gotta feel pretty hot there.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dick-- I remember that photo also but I can't locate it from the Search engine! It was made, I think, from a plastic tarp and some plastic conduit. I don't remember how they secured it but I remember seeing the picture. Let us know if you come up with it! We're hot up here in Omaha too! It's 87 at this moment and the humidity is hitting about 63%. We need to head Northwest for some cool air!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I have a shade over mind, I call it a tree in Washington. Come to think of it the AC has been off for over a week now.g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Dick,

I think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...Terms=ac,shade
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
That's the one. It was a great discussion and made me want a shade....Florida ya know...
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
If you are paying $.17/kw for elect for 6 mos in a FL CG I can guarantee you that this idea has merit...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I like it and agree with Dave, it does have merit. I spend 7 months in Florida, BUT, how well will it take the winds we quite often get in Florida??
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:50 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Good point, Glenn. Winds do get gusty. Unless that thing is really anchored down good. Or if you really don't mind if that thing ends up in you neighbors yard (remember the beach ball thing under the main awning?).
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:07 AM   #10
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I don't know how well the shade works but I removed the AC cover and glued 1" and 2" styrofoam to the all of the sheet metal that I could get at. I "THINK" it helped. The AC is able to cool the TT but I haven't been in temps over 100 yet.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:49 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Someone has to help me out here?? I thought the A/C's in our rigs were of the type that cooled the air on the inside of the rig by removing the heat from the inside air and dumping it outside?? Am I wrong in this assessment?? If this is the case, then how does a cover assist the process?? Just curious?? Help us (me) out here guru Oz!!! My inquiring mind wants to know
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:04 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Cooler air across the condenser coils will definitely help, but I don't think that little shade is gonna be worth the effort to build and install considering the volume of air the condenser fan moves. If the shaded area was large enough to allow the air around the unit to cool, I could see it working, but not as the picture shows. JMHO
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:10 AM   #13
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
OK, as Spock would say - Logically it will not work -- not enough space being shaded (as Will mentions above). However, illogical as it may be, it does. By keeping its own case cooler, the unit is better able to cool the coach. Think about it this way -- you are standing out in the sun with a mild breeze. Still hot; now step under a cover (even an umbrella). Same hot breeze blowing but you feel cooler. The suns radiant energy is not heating you now so the body is able to use the breeze to cool you more efficiently.

By the way - this is not an original thought -- I just had to have the air conditioner (heat pump actually) replaced at my stick house and the installers talked me into moving my outside unit from the west side of the house to the north. Same explanation -- the afternoon sun was striking it directly where it is now somewhat sheltered. Guess they were right -- the unit sure cools the house nicely and runs much less time doing so.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:25 AM   #14
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Someone has to help me out here?? I thought the A/C's in our rigs were of the type that cooled the air on the inside of the rig by removing the heat from the inside air and dumping it outside?? Am I wrong in this assessment?? If this is the case, then how does a cover assist the process?? Just curious?? Help us (me) out here guru Oz!!! My inquiring mind wants to know
Bingo
You are basically right. Freon is vaporized by an expansion valve and run into the evaporator located in the air flow of the ac unit. The freon picks up heat at the evaporator and is condensed and pumped through the outside condenser which is cooled by a fan blowing through it thereby dumping the heat outside. The liquid freon is then routed back through the expansion valve and the process repeats itself.

The sheet metal I insulated is the return air plenum for inside air which is routed through the evaporator.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:45 AM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sky-- It cools the house better because it's a new unit!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote