Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Graphics - One more question

Some of the recent discussions on graphics peeling has be wondering. I can understand graphics peeling on units 5 or more years old, especially on full timers that are always exposed to the environment. But there were a couple or more with '07 models that stated they were having the same problem.
I have an '07 model and have looked my graphics over front to back and can see no evidence of any aging at all. Look like new. We do live in a hot environment. BUT. It is kept under covered storage when not in use. We have had it out 63 days/nights so far. But a lot of that was in Colorado, strong sun but cool temps.
So my question is of those who have graphics problems, are you full timers, sometimers, weekenders, covered storage, outside storage, very hot environment, very cold environment, anything else that could affect them. How many years before you began to see problems?
OK. Maybe that was more than one question.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Our Monty is an 09 10th Anniversary that came off the assembly line late May of 08. As of May 2, 2009 a majority of the graphics are spider cracked, plus front ones edges are peeling, and this probably happened because of the high differences in temperature from summer to winter then warm weather again in the spring. The unit sat in the dealer's yard under an open canopy through the winter so it was exposed to horizontal elements but not sunshine, rain, snow, ice etc from overhead. Temps can be 90 degrees F in summer to minus 38 degrees F in the winter. Was this a result of application, product or extreme tempertaure differentials?? Dealer will replace all graphics this fal on warranty. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Ours is an 08. Purchased in Burlington, WA. We have never had this unit south of Portland, OR. Stored outside in Sumas, WA near the boarder and facing south. We have used it 78 days between Canada and Protland, OR. I have never waxed it as we had the duratain coating applied before we purchased it. The letters above the scene on the nose has begun peeling from the top. Burlington graphics has sent us all new graphics for the nosecap.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Fulltimers in an 07.
Spend 7 months in Florida. Oct to May. Most everyday we do have full sun on the curbside, rear and road side. From May to Sept we travel where ever we desire. Could be north, east or west but never south in the summer.
I do wash the total rig about twice a year. The nose gets washed according to how many bugs get splattered on it. I rarely polish it and than usually only the nose.

I have peeling graphics on all sides.

From what I am seeing and hearing it doesn't seem to matter how you maintain them the graphics are going to peel, shrink, crack or whatever
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a April 06 3400. We are long timers, Spent winters in Az and Florida. We are exposed to all elements, never has been covered, never has been waxed. We have no peeling or cracked or shrinking graphics.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
I wonder if there is any difference between those with the high gloss fiberglass and other surface on the sides in the amount of peeling. I have the high gloss. It is out in the sun and winter year around. It also was built last week of May 08. So far I have not noticed any problem but I will give it a close exam since 1 year up soon.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have on '06 with the gel coat. I full time and spent the first winter in San Diego/Arizona and the second in Florida. I had one very small decal (on the edge of a slide) replaced last fall at Keystone Plant during Fall Rally. All others look good. I wash with RainX car wash with wax beads and use Protectall about twice a year. I do not use a high pressure sprayer either. Wash the roof with Dawn and spot clean it with Awesome. I like the new paint job on the Big Skys and wonder what one would look like on a 3400 Montana???? UMMMM!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:47 AM   #8
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
You can tell if they're in the very early ages of peeling/giving trouble by gently rubbing your hand over the graphics. You can feel the edges feel just a bit raised/rough if they're starting, even when it isn't visible yet.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:11 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Sides of filon and nose cap gel coat. Doesn't matter.
Washing or not washing. Doesn't matter.
Special treatments or waxing. Doesn't matter.

POSSIBLY and I did say POSSIBLY it maybe the application and the tech that applied them. As most of you know the graphics on my TV are the EXACT same graphics as on the cap of my Monty. They were installed immediately after I took possession of tne Monty by a professional graphics company. Cost me over 200 bucks BUT I see no signs of peeling, shrinking or cracking.
The only problem I have with the TV graphics is at the fuel cap. Graphics and diesel fuel do not work very well together.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
The graphics on the 04(bought in Aug, 03) we just traded in were not peeling or cracked at all. This unit was washed with car wash soap and streaks removed with awesome. The unit sat outside all the time and was in the south for the winter this year. When the unit was waxed, the graphics were done also.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Hmmm? Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Some new and some old peeling. Some new and some old looking as good as new. Some full time, some part time. Some outdoors, some under covered storage.
As Glenn mentioned, I am wondering if it is due to the proper preparation and installation by the person putting them on.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Some of the images, like the large mountains on the sides of our '05 3670, come in two parts. In our case, one part is fine, the other part is peeling badly. Could be application technique, but I also noticed the the set of graphics that we received to replace ours were printed on base materials from two different companies, 3M and Avery. Both well known companies with good reputations for quality products. Burlington seem to just print and cut the graphics, so they seem to be caught in the middle between the manufacturer of the base material, and Keystone who install them. I'm hoping it is an installation problem, and that with proper application these replacements will stand up better than the originals.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
This may be of some interest: Montana Graphics
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I should note that I am not downgrading the employees on the line at Montana. But it is an assembly line and in order to keep the line moving they may not be as thorough as someone not trying to keep things moving. The individual that installed the graphics on my TV worked for a graphics company and it was there reputation that was at stake.