Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
gadiy

M.O.C. #20271
slide out support broken weld

I appear to have a broken weld at the end of my living room slide out which is causing the room to dip on the inside and twist the wall trim. Has anyone had this issue and repaired it without the use of a dealer. I purchased this used when I was working out of state. This is out of warranty and I do not have a keystone dealer within 100 miles of me.
image 502 shows the broken weld vs 509 which is on the other support for the same slide out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0502.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0510.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0509.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	436  

gadiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Any competent welder can fix this. A good welder won't be found at many RV dealerships as the pay isn't enough to keep one on. Just show him the good slide arm and tell him to make the broken one the same. Once done, match the distance between the two 90 degree flanges on the good one for a start point.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:25 AM   #3
gadiy

M.O.C. #20271
thanks dieselguy. I'm thinking that I will have to jack up the front of that box on that side to bring the arm back down into position for it to be welded. Is there anything I need to do after the weld is done or do you believe the weld will hold the room in position?
Old 08-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
gadiy

M.O.C. #20271
had a welder come out who happened to be familiar with RV and he advised that this was not a location where it should be welded. For some reason the metal bracket from the support arm and the metal bracket from the room have both bent. He is guessing that one locking bolt lossened a little allowing the room to angle and bend the metal. His recommendation was to drill 2 additional holes in the metal plate coming off the arm that goes in and out and add additional bolts to pull the plates back together and hold them tightly in place. Hope this works. Wondering if something else might be a problem somewhere else on this mechanism. Don't know where else to look.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The two plates should be able to move independent of one another a bit once the bolts are loosened ... that's how the up / down is accomplished on slide adjustment. That's why there is a jack bolt and the bolt holes are slotted to start with.
https://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0131.pdf
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:40 AM   #6
gadiy

M.O.C. #20271
Thank you. This is what I have been trying to find without success.