Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2007, 03:44 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Escape windows, lack of screen

I saw a Quantum 5er by Fleetwood, on TV this morning that had a sliding window with a half screen. It was an escape window.
I am wondering if that is the same size as ours. I would really like to have a screen in the two escape windows we have.
Does anyone have the window supplier's name for our Montana's?
Maybe it would be possible to install them, we shall see.
I recall seeing a Monte with a screen in the bedroom down in DSPI (Padre) at the KOA, it was on a different model Monte than mine, but a newer one.
Anyone have any info on that?
Also, are the new Monte's and Big Sky's so equipped?
Thanks, Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:12 AM   #2
rlrich
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5319
I have tried to order a screen for my bedroom window from a couple of dealers. I have dual pane windows and the screen that would normally be in the bedroom escape window will not work. The first thing they ask for is my VIN number and by that they know I have dual panes and tell me the screen is not available for my trailer. By simply removing the little wire clips that hold the screen into the frame and using velcro I could install a screen myself because I'm sure the screen is the same size for this window whether dual panes are used or not. I guess I need to "borrow" someone's VIN number that doesn't have dual panes to order the screen.

Just an added note - I actually had one dealer tell me I couldn't get a screen because they didn't put them on escape windows. I walked out onto his lot and saw 5 new Montanas, none equipped with dual panes and all equipped with screens on the bedroom escape window. I really wanted to go back in and discuss his knowledge of the product he was selling but I figured what's the point. I really don't know how some of these dealers stay in business.
rlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:22 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Rick, it is frustrating talking with them, I think sometimes they just want you to go away, unless they are selling you a rig.
I had a screen from the same size (single pane) window, it does not fit exactly, and the lever to hold the window out is not in play there either.
That is why the slider I saw looked so attractive, I could deal with a half window, even if it does not come in a dual pane.
I may have to go that route. For those of you with single pane windows, do you have screens in your escape windows?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:15 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz,

I'm just looking at pictures, but I DO [s]not[/s] see screens on the bedroom [s]or[/s] AND entertainment slide escape windows. We have the standard windows.

Modified response Ozz - I can now see the red pull tabs to remove the screens. I put my daughter in charge of screens at the PDI, and looks like she did her job better than me.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:20 AM   #5
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

For those of you with single pane windows, do you have screens in your escape windows?
Ozz - We have a 3475 with single pane windows and the two escape windows both came with screens. Nice to have, especially on the desk/entertainment slide!
Mike
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Brad and Mike. I assume these are the push out type? Not the sliders? The ones I saw on TV were window sliders with a half screen.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:19 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz, embarrased to say, but I haven't tried them. They don't slide, but not sure how they come out.

Brad
Old 04-17-2007, 06:26 AM   #8
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
back in Dec or so I contacted the maker of the windows about the R rateings

here is who I got the answer from, I would think they would know how to get the screens. I would like one in the BR and the Computer slide but I thought the window fell out when it was opened ? I must check.

Bob

Daniel McEnery
Kinro Engineering
(817)473-4421 ext 134
dmcenery@kinro.net
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I want to know how us,not so young ,no so thin, not so flexible get out of the bedroom escape window and how busted up we would be if we fell the 10 feet or so. They are there because they have to be. Not user friendly though. I think I will take my chances going out the door.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #10
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Ozz. We have a 05 3475 (same box as the 3400 with 3 slides)with single pane windows and both emergancy exit windows have screens.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ken, do they push out, or slide? Thanks.
Hazmic, that thought has occurred to me as well.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have the 3475 with push out escape windows over the desk and in the bedroom. Both have screens.. I do open these windows a lot but the screen really doesn't fit perfectly and I put a little tape where the mosquitoes might get through.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #13
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
We have the 3400 and both escape windows have screens.
They pull out - they have metal clips - we have lost a few of ours on the bedroom one. The window came open while on the road and we found the rod that holds it open and closed on the outside of the monty. That was fun getting back in too.

The screen has a groove that you have to line up at the top when putting the screen back in and it is very - very hard to get it lined up as the window blind blocks your view to see where you are putting the screen.

Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #14
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Ken, do they push out, or slide? Thanks.
Hazmic, that thought has occurred to me as well.
Ozz - Both windows are the push out type.

Mike
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:50 AM   #15
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We just got our 3400 Monday and we have screens. As Rocky2 said, they pull out..not a push out unit.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #16
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Ozz,

I have looked into the escape windows. The windows are made by Kinro. They make an escape window that slides and has a screen. I believe these windows are approx. $600! When we spoke with the factory, in Bristol, In, they have the same smoke color as the windows installed by Keystone. As with everything else in this industry, we were told to go to our dealer, or one of their dealers, to order. I have not elected to go that far ass of yet, but I have this on my wish list.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #17
bwney
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4633
We have a 3400 with dual pane windows, No screens on the emergency windows.

I found a "Murphy Screen" at Wal-Mart. It is about 12 inches tall and extends horizontally. I cut some window props out of a "swimming noodle" to hold the window open 3-4 inches. We put the screen in, and lower the shade to the top of the screen. Not perfect, but better than nothing. When not being used, we store the screen between the dresser and vanity. There is a small opening there.
bwney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz - sounds like you might just be missing the factory screens. Obtaining the factory screens should be within your Dealers obligation, as you are still less than a year old?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I was told that the emergency windows did not have screens available for ??? safety reasons....maybe a suggestion from the ole corporate lawyer, I would guess. The window on my unit has a wooden valance that covers up most of the top and top sides of the window, I put a screen off my old Keystone Sprinter in there, it was hard to get in and out, and really didn't fit too well. If I were representing the company, I wouldn't allow that type of screen to be used there either.
That was why I was interested in the sliding window with the half screen I saw in that SOB, which is probably the way I will go on this deal.
Ozz
Old 04-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #20
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
my 2006 single panes have screens that pull up and lift out.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote