Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Warranty Issues.. (UPDATED AND ON GOING)

Having problems getting a couple big issues fixed under warranty. Dealer deals with Montana division and that puts Keystone customer service out of the information loop on a lot of issues.

HISTORY

Maiden voyage, Boondocking
Started with full fresh water tank. Departed with about 10 gallons left in fresh tank and 50 gallons split between holding tanks. Noticed a lot of flex in front when hitching up. Had to travel about 10 miles to dump tanks. When dumping I noticed a panel had separated at the street side propane door. Did not contact dealer.

About a week later had a local rv repair shop install a front ac unit. They repaired the separated panel for free and also noticed rubber (tire) dust on street side of trailer. Got the trailer home and started checking over the suspension. Torqued the U-bolts (they needed it) and checked tightness of other fasteners. Noticed some severe tears in the Morride rubber equalizers. Was planning on heading to Florida in A couple weeks. Contacted dealer and was told they couldn’t get me in for several weeks, and to contact them When I got back form my trip in the spring. Contacted Morride and sent pictures. They said equalizers should be fine but, keep an eye on them. They also sent me brand new equalizers to install once I got the trailer back to the dealer. I also noticed that the tires were wearing in an odd pattern.

Headed out on another local trip and noticed that my tires were closer together on one side than the other once I got parked. Just thought it was kind of odd at the time and that maybe it had something to due with weight distribution or un-level ground. Got it back home and looked things over again. Trailer sat level with the slides in. Equalizers looked the same as before. Nothing noticeable on the suspension. Tire wear was still odd but not severe. Tires on street side still closer together on street side. Measured the axles center to center and found 1 inch difference from one side to the other. Placed lots of calls including Keystone. Again dealer said they’d take care of it in the spring.

Trip south went well, almost.
Pulling into that last campground before we got home we heard a strange squeaking noise from the trailer making a sharp left turn into the
campground. After getting parked I quickly looked things over ( there was still snow melting and the ground was wet and cold) and didn’t really notice anything odd. Got home and first thing I noticed was the trailer didn’t sit level any more with the slides in. Then I noticed the inside front of the street side tire was bald. After a while we figured out that the street side Morride rubber equalizer had failed.

Made lots of calls…. Ended up putting the spare tire on and taking it to a local dealer who agreed to the warranty work of replacing the equalizer so I could tow it 3 hours away to the selling dealer. It took over a month to get the work authorized by Keystone. Local guys were great but struggled greatly with Keystone.

A couple weeks later my wife hauled ( I was out to sea) the trailer to the selling dealer for warranty repairs. She handed them a list of just over 40 issues including the axles, tires, and frame flex. They totally flipped out on her and told her they wouldn‘t cover most of the things on our list because it had been over 6 months since we bought it. Once I got home, she filled me in on what had happened. I called the dealer (I was polite) and they informed me that both of the service managers I had dealt with were no longer working there and that they could not honor any agreements I had made with them and that they had no record of any of my problems. At this point I was turning purple with anger. Then they informed me that they had been to busy to even look at my trailer even though they had had it in their lot for about 4 weeks. I calmly said (I’m sure he heard the anger in my voice) I would get back in touch with them and hung up the phone.

I showed up at the dealer first thing the next morning paper work in hand ready for a fight, but calm. Talked with the service manager and he agreed to cover all the items on my list. I made him put it in writing. Found out that after I called they had brought the trailer in the shop and started checking out the oven and propane system. We made an agreement that I would take the trailer back home (early August) and use it for a few weeks and bring it back to them in mid September ( 1 year warranty expired mid August). They could keep it all winter to complete the warranty work. OK, I drop it off again as agreed and I go back out to sea.

CURRENT:

Got back home in Early December and gave them a call. They tell me a list of things (about 20 items) that have been done. I inquire about frame flex, axel alignment, and tires. They tell me their working with the Montana division on it. In other words none of those items had been repaired. I let things go till after the new year.

January and February, I show up in person. Call a few times. Call Keystone customer service a few times.

More small items approved by Keystone, and waiting on parts.

Frame Flex:
Dealer says, measured according to Montana division instructions and within spec.
I say, I unloaded trailer before delivering it to them. Add weight to rated pin weight and check again.
Dealer says, all they can do is what they are told to by Montana division.
Keystone customer service says, they have no records of any claim but, any records of contact between dealer and Montana division they have no access to.

Tires:
Dealer Says, Denied, warrantied for one year after mounting according to Montana Division.
I say, Tire issue were caused by Morride equalizer failure and suspension alignment issue. Also this unit was sitting on the lot for close to 2 years before I bought it.
Dealer says, they’ll contact Montana division about it.
Keystone says, no record of any claim, but contact between dealer and Montana , etc……

Axles:
Dealer says, measured each end of axle to plumb line on pin and each end of front axle to each end on rear axle. Within spec.
I say, (repeated several times over several months) measure center to center of axles on each side. Also Dexter and Lippert have different measuring procedures.
Dealer says, we can only follow procedure from Montana division.
Keystone says, no records that they find from selling dealer but, alignment issue was mentioned by dealer who replaced equalizer.

TODAY:
Called dealer to follow up. Was informed that service manager is no longer working there. Struggle starts anew.

Keystone: No records of some of the calls I’ve made. Can’t find old records that another rep found 3 weeks ago.
In closing, It’s my hope that someone from Montana division and Keystone reads this. I’m also looking for advice from members on how to proceed. One additional problem I face is, I’m going back out to sea for 70 days in one week. When I get back it will be about the first of May and the beginning of camping season.

FWIW, I have little faith in Bulyan RV of Duluth Minnesota. I have waited a long time to post anything negative about Keystone, Montana division, And Bulyan RV. I though it best to give them a chance to make things right. At this point I am quite irritated with the whole thing.

woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #2
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Why in he!! have you not contacted an attorney?????? IMHO, that is way over due!!!
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Trailer Life Action Line!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Everything should be repaired within first year no matter what it is. Sounds like a very poor run dealership. Talk to Rich "FAA" about who to contact at Keystone. N need to put up with what you have dealt with. If no satisfaction definitely get an attorney.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
With the multitude of problems you have, the best solution may be to plan a trip to Indiana to the service facility. They can fix everything up to your satisfaction. Perhaps another call to Keystone with this as a suggestion will prompt them to make everything right with your rig. I believe they will step up if you take the right approach.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would try Bingo's approach first, before you try the other two. I've sent an email to some folks at Keystone with a link to this thread and with any luck that may also help.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

With the multitude of problems you have, the best solution may be to plan a trip to Indiana to the service facility. They can fix everything up to your satisfaction. Perhaps another call to Keystone with this as a suggestion will prompt them to make everything right with your rig. I believe they will step up if you take the right approach.
Bingo
When I first figured out about the axle and equalizer problem, ( 4-5 weeks after purchase) I talked to Keystone and their response was, they don't do warranty work at their service center. they instead refered me to Tiara. After talking to Tiara, we agreed that it was unpractical to go to them at the time. I was hoping to attend the fall rally because of theses issues but my schedule at work changed and made that impossable.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

I would try Bingo's approach first, before you try the other two. I've sent an email to some folks at Keystone with a link to this thread and with any luck that may also help.
Thanks Dick, I appreciate it greatly.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hunts800

Trailer Life Action Line!
This is a card I have yet to play. All problems were reported to Keystone with in the warranty period.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Just for the fun of it.
Sofa has a broken frame. Dealer said non repairable. According to dealer, Montana denied the claim because warranty on that is only 90 days. Called Keystone and they said that there is a one year warranty on that. However service rep could not find any document that listed my warranty issues. I told him I had just talked to Alicia (sp) 3 days earlier and she had found it along with a lot of other documents. He said there was no record in the system that i had ever talked to Alicia. again I was polite and said good by.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Sounds like you should plan to attend the 2014 Fall Rally, and schedule a date with the factory service center for that time frame. In my experience, they bend over backwards during the Fall Rally to address and repair issues for the rally attendees, even issues that are well beyond any warranty expiration date. We spent two days at Camp Keystone a few years back, they fixed everything on my list, ...plus, a few other things that I had not mentioned to them. I think that Darryl is no longer heading up the factory service center though, so I'm not sure if things are the same as they were back then.

Anybody have any pertinent experiences at the latest rally on how they seem to be handling "beyond warranty" items at Camp Keystone?
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The service center is as good or better than when Darryl was there, and that's saying a lot.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #13
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Overlord

Sounds like you should plan to attend the 2014 Fall Rally, and schedule a date with the factory service center for that time frame. In my experience, they bend over backwards during the Fall Rally to address and repair issues for the rally attendees, even issues that are well beyond any warranty expiration date. We spent two days at Camp Keystone a few years back, they fixed everything on my list, ...plus, a few other things that I had not mentioned to them. I think that Darryl is no longer heading up the factory service center though, so I'm not sure if things are the same as they were back then.

Anybody have any pertinent experiences at the latest rally on how they seem to be handling "beyond warranty" items at Camp Keystone?
I don't think my work schedule will allow that. It would be close as I should get off the ship around the 12th of September. Kind of late to plan that trip. Also the trip would cost me at least $2500. Sounds kind of steep to get my warranty work done. Still that may be my best option if the tires hold out for the trip.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Close to my problem.

Records missing, phone calls not reported in the system at Keystone, Dealer incompetent, Dealers failure to include list on work order then you didn’t get a copy of all work orders, Keystones refusal to allow you access to the Goshen service center, phone call response to e-mails etc.

Somehow that seems familiar. O yes I remember that was $20,000 plus in checks I had to write to fix the problems.

I keep telling everyone here that you must get everything in writing. When you get a phone call from Keystone or place one to keystone get an E-Mail address of the person you talked to and send them your copy of the transcript of the call and get a return receipt.

But the folks here just think I am sour apples.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #15
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
FYI,
This is a picture of the Moryde equalizer 3-4 weeks after purchase. It looked almost the same when it failed with the splits slightly further apart.
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...ps11c5231f.jpg.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #16
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

Close to my problem.

Records missing, phone calls not reported in the system at Keystone, Dealer incompetent, Dealers failure to include list on work order then you didn’t get a copy of all work orders, Keystones refusal to allow you access to the Goshen service center, phone call response to e-mails etc.

Somehow that seems familiar. O yes I remember that was $20,000 plus in checks I had to write to fix the problems.

I keep telling everyone here that you must get everything in writing. When you get a phone call from Keystone or place one to keystone get an E-Mail address of the person you talked to and send them your copy of the transcript of the call and get a return receipt.

But the folks here just think I am sour apples.

Phil P
I've followed your posts about your problems for a long time. Just hoping it wouldn't happen to me. I'm mot done fighting yet. this spring, if I have to, I'll be contacting the State attorney generals office, Good Sam Action Line, and get my extended service provider involved. Then take it up another notch if needed.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #17
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
That's a scary picture!!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by woodtic

FYI,
This is a picture of the Moryde equalizer 3-4 weeks after purchase. It looked almost the same when it failed with the splits slightly further apart.
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...ps11c5231f.jpg.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:41 AM   #18
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
You have certainly had more than your fair share of issues and bureaucratic foot dragging.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:14 AM   #19
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
You don't have to attend the fall rally to get things fixed. PM DQDick and ask if he has still got his contact info at Keystone, and if so, make arrangements to take the unit there when the time is suitable for you. I'm betting they will be happy to accommodate you - especially if you tell them you are forum members.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:16 AM   #20
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
I have not purchased a rig yet. Getting real close. It concerns and pains me deeply to hear about these problems. My problem is that I don't think any of the other manufactures do a better job. It sounds like you got a "lemon" to start with. It wouldn't be a lemon if they would not fight you and take care of the problem. I will continue to follow your thread and hope to hear about a happy outcome soon!!!
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote