Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Propane problem- HELP me out

We have a 30# propane tank that leaks from the overflow valve- It seeps enough to emit that rotten egg smell- The tank was built in June of 2011 and put in service in Dec of 2011- The problem started when I had the tank refilled last week- My question is has any Mocer any experience with this problem? I currently am useing this tank so repairs can be made without losing all of the propane- THANX in advance for sharing your knowledge- Don

DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Is it the bleed port they open when filling? Does it have a screw driver slot? If so have you tried to tighten it any? I'm not right sure I would want that cylinder around me, my family, or my rig 'till the leak was repaired. Propane being heavier than air will tend to gather in pockets and low places, could get dangerous. JMHO
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
I agree with ole dude, check the bleed valve on the side of the main valve, should look like a small plug with a slot for a screw driver, they probably loosened it when filling and didn't tighten it back up enough. Other than that I wouldn't mess with it other than to put it into the bed of my truck and take it to a propane place and have them fix it.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I agree.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Check the warranty on the tank, maybe you can get it fixed free.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Agree with the bleed valve but tank could also be overfilled and it's bleeding off the extra propane.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 AM   #7
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I checked the valve with soapy water- The seepage is from the overflow valve- I intend to take the tank to be repaired but I am not strong enough to lift a full tank out of its compartment- It's all I can do to lift a full tank up into the compartment- I am 81 so I'm not as strong as of younger days- I think the comment about overfill might be right on because I was charged for more product than ever before- THANX again for the help- I will continue to monitor the tank and post any new developments- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I would be very uncomfortable with any leaking propane tank. I don't know where you are or how many others around, but if I know most RVers, if you ask for help on this and explain you have a leaky tank, I know I would come running to help you out.

When refilling there is supposed to be an internal device that shuts off the flow and leave room for expansion. I agree that if the overflow valve is where the leak is, the valve itself might be the problem no matter how much propane. Some time ago I saw an adapter that allowed one tank to refill another, so that you quickly get another tank, then use this thing (if you can find it) to swap the propane. I imagine a 30# means you've got about 6-7 gallons of propane and I can certainly understand why you'd want to save it and not let it leak into the atmosphere.

I'll do a search for that device and post here if I find it. But I don't think your lives are worth continuing to use that tank. Get some help and get it out of there quick!!!

Oh yes, to answer another part of your post, I had one of the original 30# fail within the first year. The failure was that the valve clamped shut and could not get refilled. I got the tank replaced free under the Monty's warranty. I would be a lot more nervous about any leaking propane. There are so many things that arc and spark in an RV to chance around a leaking tank; stove, oven, fridge, furnace, then all the things you plug into an outlet could spark, too.

On edit: bad news... the refill adapters I found allow a tank to refill 1 lb bottles, not tank to tank refilling. Good luck locating thirty empty 1 lb bottles. I think you'll need to find some help and get back to a propane refill expert for a recommendation. Does the leak stop when you close the main valve? To stop the leak maybe you can find a fast setting sealant to get the leak stopped.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote