Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Rob Walters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12154
NASCAR at Texas Motor Speedway

Man, I sure hope I'm putting this under the right subject. I work at Texas Motor Speedway as a supervisor in the campgrounds. I notice a few Montanas throughout the campgrounds and I'd really like to know how many of those rigs belong to ya'll. I do get the opportunity to visit with some owners, and almost ALWAYS recommend joining MOC, I have not come across another member. So, I guess my question is, do any of ya'll go to the races at TMS? I would love to stop by and meet another member or members. If you are planning on going to the race in April, please let me know. Thanks.

Rob Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:40 AM   #2
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
I wish one of them was me...one of these days after retirement it will be.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
Never been to TMS, but did have an infield lot at MIS for 23 years running. Now with the band we are booked about every weekend so the racing has reverted back to TV screens. I started out on Wrecker Crew at MIS in the early 70's and at that time had my Sign Shop, and being before all the vinyl, I worked most all nights touching up and lettering painting in the garage. I do miss those days now and then, and maybe will get back in the scene again, but in the mean time, enjoy it for me. Happy Trails, Steve and Susie
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Rob Walters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12154
Steve, I am originally from Michigan, but left when the lights went off in Detroit in 1980. I've not been to MIS, but understand it's quite a place. I like it much better here where there's more summer than winter. Hope you make it down sometime.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I've never been to a NASCAR race, been an NHRA kinda guy. How do one go about going to a race and camping there??
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
Montana_10714
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10714
Rob, I have the same question as Dave. We live so close to TMS but never been there. We have never dry camped with the Monty. Do we have to have a generator.
Thanks
Montana_10714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
Rob Walters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12154
Well, I guess you get started by getting a campsite at TMS by either calling the ticket office or going online. We have a number of campgrounds but only one with electric/water. All the other ones are for boondockers. We have water, propane, sewer service and RV repair on site. Of course those services aren't free. We have dump stations throughout the property (which ARE free) Most campers bring their own gensets for power. We have three tent camping areas if you are so inclined. Personally, I'm not. I've been ruined by my Monty. We have thousands of great campers who come back race after race and usually camp in the same spot. We added a "Family Campground" a couple years ago, that's more family-friendly. It has a noise curfew and a zero tolerance policy on any bad behavior or public drunkenness. Spaces are limited in this campground. It is a very popular place for the more "laid back" fans. We have free trams that pick up fans near their campsite and take them to the track for races, qualifications and practices. The trams also bring them back. I suppose you could camp without a generator if you had some other way to keep your batteries charged. I suppose I have grown a little spoiled by my generator and wouldn't think of camping without it. We have quite a few people who come out to camp for the week, and don't have tickets to the races. They either watch the race on TV from their campsite, or buy tickets once they get here. I hope to see at least one member in April. I'll try to answer as many questions as I can and you should feel free to send me a message if you like.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 AM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Hmmmm no generator???? Evidently those folks have never camped in a trailer in Texas heat lol lol..... Wait I grew up here and lived in a mobile home with no AC????? Dang I had a rough childhood either that or I am spoiled now...I like spoiled lol lol.... Anyways if you go and camp there in the hopes of purchasing tickets can you usually buy tickets at the gate or are there races that are sold out? Thanks for the info,,gonna have to make it to a race
Old 01-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #9
Rob Walters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12154
Unfortunately, (for the track) over the last several years, it has been relatively easy to buy tickets at the track. I do believe that pit passes and other stuff is also available at the ticket office. Yes, a generator is a definite "must" for the Texas heat. April weather is usually pretty fair and you might be able to get away without one, but I wouldn't want to take the chance.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
Rob Walters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12154
Oh, I forgot to mention, we have a fully stocked grocery store (right now it's Brookshire's) on the property that sells things at the same price you would get if you went into the same store in your town.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #11
Rob Walters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12154
Oh, I forgot to mention, we have a fully stocked grocery store (right now it's Brookshire's) on the property that sells things at the same price you would get if you went into the same store in your town.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Perhaps......this is the possibility of a "new gathering" (similar to the Q.) for our MOC members to get together! . And similar to the "Music/Song Fest" in Michigan, I have seen posted here on the forum.

We would be interested if we knew dates and times for deadlines.

We went to Concord in November and made reservations to camp, thru info on the website of Charlotte Motor Raceway. We got the tour of the racetrack(s), went to the NASCAR Hall of Fame and Hendricks Museum.

Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Ok I reckon you'll be seein us at some point this summer....