Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Garmin's Newest Trucking GPS

If I didn't already own 5 Garmin GPS units this would be on the top of my would like to have list.

Link: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=275&pID=112211

I have an older version with traffic and lifetime updates but the screen is much smaller.

Oh wait my new truck also uses a Garmin in the Navigator, so make it 6 Garmin's.

I do most of my trip planning using Garmin's MapSource, where I create any waypoints I want to show up along the way as well as possible RV parks along the route. I have the program on my laptop as well as the desktop at home.

I have purchased Topo Canada and Topo USA for my handhelds and even use it in one of my Nuvi's from time to time. Yes, I am a Garmin fan.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Sounds like you need to have a Garmin yard sale.... LOL.

oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I also have a Garmin Nuvi and it has never let me down, great GPS.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
I wish that I had found this earlier. About two years ago I bought a Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT. It has always steered me to the correct location. However, going to an RV park in Downtown Holland, Michigan it took me down some residential streets that had very large low-hanging tree branches that just about took off my front AC unit. That's when I realized that I should have purchased a "trucker's version" Garmin. Since that episode, I've been very reluctant to use my Garmin
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
Wonder if its a Holland, Michigan thing--lol. One time during Tulip Festival I was on the main drag, stopped in traffic of course when an older gentleman was coming down a side street, hanging out the window looking at all the beautiful flowers. Never looked up till he came thru the stop sign and right into the side of my car. I had already told my wife, look at that guy, I sure hope he looks up. When he did look up, he actually cussed me out for being in his way--lol. Needless to say, I let him know it was not my choice to be in his way. We use a Garmin and wouldn't travel without it. Happy Trails, Steve and Susie
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've been very happy with my Garmin Nuvi 1490T and will someday replace it with another Garmin. I also have been very, very pleased with the customer service at Garmin. I do want to check out the new one at the link provided, though.

I also use mapsource to create most routes, primarily because I want to chose the roads we travel on. We prefer to avoid boring interstates and also like to take a different route than we took last time through the area. MapSource works well for that. Sometimes I'll create multiple routes between the same two points and make the routing decision just before departure, usually dependent on the weather forecast.

One thing I do NOT like about the GPS units geared to truckers is that they tend to route you onto truck routes. And those are usually rough, ugly routes. My older Garmins had an option to tell it you're a bus. Those would take only routes where a bus can fit nicely but not necessarily a truck route. That worked very well for me. Unfortunately, my Nuvi does not have the bus option.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #7
michael346LBQ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13110
Its on my pre xmas list.
michael346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 AM   #8
Dixiedawg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9927
We picked up a new Garmin last year and had problems with the tough screen. Tried to contact Garmin's customer service about the issue several times and waited an hour on the phone and finally just gave up. Really disappointed with there customer service. If they have that many customer calls where they can't answer the phone in a reasonable amount of time they should hire more people or build a better product. Up until then I was a Garmin supporter, and maybe my situation was one in million.
Dixiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote